Predict Prelim Q/finals: Kildare/Monaghan, Cork/Ros, Donegal/Tyrone, Galway/Mayo

Started by GAABoardMod5, June 21, 2023, 07:31:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

Think Mayo win the mor, Comer can't be fit, Kelly little chance of starting and Walsh playing pure dung since moving to the city big boys. So where that leave things draw wise. Been drawing early would actually be a benefit, cause rematches can actually happen if you get drawn late on and only maybe 2 teams are left who previously played each other. ( Says rematches are avoided where possible).

reddgnhand

Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 24, 2023, 10:26:56 PM
Quote from: reddgnhand on June 24, 2023, 10:20:34 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 24, 2023, 10:03:41 PM
Quote from: reddgnhand on June 24, 2023, 09:56:00 PM
I don't know what's worse. Where should he have been? And someone actually agreeing with you.

I'll let you ponder that for a while.
I give up. Where should he have been?
That's a pity.
Enlighten me where should he have been?

red hander

trueblue1234

Me, personally would have expected our corner back to be making an attempt to get back into his own half when we are winning by 5 or 6 points going into the final minutes of a knock out game. Ideally would have liked him to be picking up his man.  I wouldn't expect him to be in attempting sh!thousery with the Donegal keeper.

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

full moon

If Mayo win tomorrow then Kerry can only get Tyrone or Monaghan.

Dublin can get anyone

Armagh can't get Tyrone or Galway if they win

Derry can't get Monaghan

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on June 24, 2023, 10:25:34 PM
Quote from: screenexile on June 24, 2023, 10:14:52 PM
I'd be happy enough to avoid Galway/Mayo. Wouldn't fear Tyrone or Cork to be honest. Cork are going better but they're still not great and I think we match up very well against Tyrone as we proved last year and Tyrone haven't looked great this year with only 2 wins against 14 man Armagh Armagh and a fairly toothless Donegal.

The draw will be interesting with potential for 2 all Ulster clashes although hopefully that isn't the case. I'd imagine whoever has the chance to would rather play Monaghan or Cork.

With 4 Ulster teams involved there is scope for an all Ulster semi or even two all Ulster semis. If Galway win then they cannot play Armagh and so there is a two third chance of them playing Kerry or Dublin. Armagh have a reasonable chance against Monaghan or Cork and Derry likewise against Tyrone or Cork. A Mayo that could beat Galway would be dangerous, although they might have injuries from the battle.
The draw will be fixed so at least 3 Ulster teams lose.  Dubs ,Kerry and G/M get one each .

https://youtu.be/S8kPqAV_74M

Main Street

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 24, 2023, 10:26:32 PM
Yes, but pulling a ball out of a players hands is a foul, always has been, so what changed this year? Too many different refs are not blowing a free.
The technical term is wresting the ball from an opponent,  this ref thought it okay if the ball was wrested away and hit the deck but not okay if wrested away straight into the tackler's hands. No consistency with the same ref

In the Donegal Tyrone game, two Tyrone players wrested the ball away from a Donegal player straight into Tyrone hands, no foul, that's the practiced refereeing norm re the interpretation of a dispossession. 

screenexile

Quote from: Main Street on June 24, 2023, 10:55:18 PM
Yes, but pulling a ball out of a players hands is a foul, always has been, so what changed this year? Too many different refs are not blowing a free.
The technical term is wresting the ball from an opponent,  this ref thought it okay if the ball was wrested away and hit the deck but not okay if wrested away straight into the tackler's hands. No consistency with the same ref

In the Donegal Tyrone game, two Tyrone players wrested the ball away from a Donegal player straight into Tyrone hands, no foul, that's the practiced refereeing norm re the interpretation of a dispossession.

You're 100% right there seems to be a very different interpretation of this rule depending on who's refereeing!

And it's definitely a free!

Main Street

Quote from: screenexile on June 24, 2023, 11:00:53 PM
Quote from: Main Street on June 24, 2023, 10:55:18 PM

You're 100% right there seems to be a very different interpretation of this rule depending on who's refereeing!

And it's definitely a free!
The interpretation differs with not just who is refereeing  but with the same ref.
And the refereeing standard in most cases is, it's okay to wrest /dispossess an opponent.

There is no definition in the rule book of what is a legal dispossession and what is an illegal wrest.

Wildweasel74

For years you can't pull a ball out of someones hand, that has alway been a free, you can use your open hand to try knock the ball out. Who says now this is not a free. Otherwise every game just gonna be a tackle to try pull a ball out of a players hand, where's the skill there,

Wildweasel74

Watched the 1st half of the Cork v Roscommon game. How Rowcommon lost that game, they dominated the first half.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 25, 2023, 01:17:23 AM
Watched the 1st half of the Cork v Roscommon game. How Rowcommon lost that game, they dominated the first half.

Lost their composure and allowing Cork to be just one point behind at half time was a big moment in the game which included the big home Cork following finding their voice.

Credit to Cork on the pressure and ability to turnover the ball so often but the error prone and poor decision making by the rossies helped.

Debatable call on Conor Daly before the match winner  and that stage Roscommon scored 5 points in a row and looked more likely to grab the winner themselves. 

Jell 0 Biafra

Once behind, Roscommon played some good stuff.  They should consider playing like that even when not behind.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on June 25, 2023, 02:20:55 AM
Once behind, Roscommon played some good stuff.  They should consider playing like that even when not behind.

Did that in other years under different managers and resulted in high scoring contests against teams around their own level but would get hammered by any top 6 team as were too open defensively.

Year two under Davy Burke will likely be looking to strike the balance between attack and defence.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

fearbrags

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 25, 2023, 01:59:41 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 25, 2023, 01:17:23 AM

Lost their composure and allowing Cork to be just one point behind at half time was a big moment in the game which included the big home Cork following finding their voice.

Credit to Cork on the pressure and ability to turnover the ball so often but the error prone and poor decision making by the rossies helped.

Debatable call on Conor Daly before the match winner  and that stage Roscommon scored 5 points in a row and looked more likely to grab the winner themselves.

Debatable my Bollax. IT was totally a wrong call  , in real time I thought he must have bounced it twice (2nd bounce he hesitated was going to kick changed his mind and let the ball bounce clearly legal . When I  looked back  on the replay   there was only one bounce  , I don't know whatv the ref saw  ,He  May have reacted to the crowd . An terrible call from the ROSSIE point of view that basically decided the game.