AIFSF Replay Mayo v Dublin, Sat 5th Sept. HQ.

Started by highorlow, September 01, 2015, 10:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

Time to open a new thread for the replay as the other one has turned into nonsense.

Lookit, for the great Dublin lads on here we know how ye feel after that game. The same happened to us last year and the feeling is shit and some of our own supporters after both games last year got a wee bit OTT.

The last game is done and dusted and with a better ref the next day I fancy a better match where both teams can show their potential.

Obviously I now think we have the upper hand but the Dubs will not be as bad again. Too close to call.

Any thoughts?

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Canalman

Hallelujah.

Honestly think the winners of the replay will be better set up for the final a fortnight later. Great momentum to bring into a big game.

deiseach

Sean3

I expect Mayo to be better but I'm not sure about Dublin.

I think Dublin will need to try something a bit different this time around. There's been a lot of talk about the strength of our panel but essentially Gavin sends out the same team each day. I'd like to see him try to unsettle that Mayo defence with perhaps Fenton to full forward for a time or Jack McCaffrey at CHF. Something like Mayo tried in 2013 with Keith Higgins

Declan

Depends on the recovery. Still can't make up my mind whether the game will bring Dublin on or if its the end of this particular group. The optimist in me says it'll bring us on and because we have better forwards we'll win the next time but there's a nagging doubt in my mind that we will still be too focussed on Mayo and set up to counter balance them rather than trusting our guys to go and win the game. Though you could say that from a Dublin perspective it worked reasonably well until the penalty decision in the 70th minute.

Also if Connolly's suspension is upheld it will mean at least one change to the front 6  - so do we start Alan or McManamon or Brady?
Still lots to look forward to but I hope that the underlying nastiness that was there from the outset has been put to bed and both teams try to win the game rather than not lose it   

squire_in_navy_slacks

If we can summon the superhero powers of Aidan and get a ref that dismisses Cillian away when's he's doing his job we may have a chance

yellowcard

I think the advantage is with Mayo now. If the game is tight the old Dublin doubts will creep in after throwing away a big lead last week and the fact that Mayo were effectively out of the championship after 62 minutes of the game will see them play with a bit more freedom this Saturday. Much oin the same way as Kerry went into last years semi final replay having looked dead and buried in the first match. Connolly will be a big blow for Dublin and all of a suddne Dublin look to have a threadbare squad. Dublin have a second rate midfield and if Mayo can put pressure on Cluxton again we've seen what can happen, Dublin can disintegrate. One or two of the Mayo forwards are going to have to up their game however rather than simply relying on O'Connor to keep them in the game with dead balls.

JoG2

Quote from: yellowcard on September 01, 2015, 11:36:30 AM
I think the advantage is with Mayo now. If the game is tight the old Dublin doubts will creep in after throwing away a big lead last week and the fact that Mayo were effectively out of the championship after 62 minutes of the game will see them play with a bit more freedom this Saturday. Much oin the same way as Kerry went into last years semi final replay having looked dead and buried in the first match. Connolly will be a big blow for Dublin and all of a suddne Dublin look to have a threadbare squad. Dublin have a second rate midfield and if Mayo can put pressure on Cluxton again we've seen what can happen, Dublin can disintegrate. One or two of the Mayo forwards are going to have to up their game however rather than simply relying on O'Connor to keep them in the game with dead balls.

I'd agree. The Dubs have some superb footballers, but the squad, even the first 15 is littered with average enough players. Rock, average enough in open play, O'Sullivan, meh, McMahon, unless he has backup as he's an accident waiting to happen one on one. The players coming in off the bench, with the exception of K McM don't strengthen the team imo. Added to this the current form of Flynn and the absence of Connolly. Cluxton had a fair dose of the jitters himself and if you wobble this man, you wobble Dublin.  If Mayo do open up (which is a risk in itself), will the mollycoddled Dubs have the heart for it?

In saying all that, its all on the day, Dublin could click and go to town on Mayo, though the last 10 mins will give the men from the West great heart on Sat. I for one canny wait for it.

Mayo by 1

deiseach

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

macdanger2

Yeah, I feel we have a slight advantage after yesterday's game although I felt the same after last years SF as well so......

You have to expect our forwards can't be as bad again, some of the wides we kicked yesterday were criminal. The fact that we finished stronger yesterday should stand to us although there are going to be tired legs all round with just a 6-day turnaround.

Doc and McLoughlin in particular need to play better the next day, we need a couple of points each from both of them if we're to win

blanketattack

Why don't Mayo just go out all guns blazing from an attacking point of view instead of being so cautious?
Last year when they went gung-ho v Kerry they turned a 5 point deficit to a 5 point lead with 14 men, and made up a 7 pt deficit v Dublin doing the same.

INDIANA

macdanger2

Quote from: blanketattack on September 01, 2015, 12:20:20 PM
Why don't Mayo just go out all guns blazing from an attacking point of view instead of being so cautious?
Last year when they went gung-ho v Kerry they turned a 5 point deficit to a 5 point lead with 14 men, and made up a 7 pt deficit v Dublin doing the same.

Fear of conceding a rake of goals

Actually on that point, Kevin McM was straight through on goal on Sunday and opted for a point rather than bursting the net, it's not like him