The Black Card = Blanket Defence

Started by highorlow, April 07, 2015, 01:01:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

Prior to the black card we had just a few teams playing the blanket defence.

It could also be argued that the Tyrone and Donegal styles prior to the black card were not the out and out extreme blankets that we are seeing lately.

It strikes me that the black card rule change has unintentionally added to, or even fully caused the blanket defence tactic to go nationwide and this tactic is used at almost every level in our game.

To test this logic we have to go back to before the black card was introduced. It is clear that defenders had much greater scope in the tackle. They could tackle without the fear or burden of the black card. There is no doubt that as a last resort they could also deliberately and cynically drag down an opponent and concede a 1 point free. A 1 point concession and a telling off from his manager was probably enough punishment to fit the crime rather than the rest of the day in the dugout.

This form of 'last resort' defending is no longer possible and therefore the attacker, safe in the knowledge that the rules are weighed more in his favour, will take on his opponent and, if good enough, get a free run on goals that will result in a 1 v 1 with the goalie or an overlap with his colleague. This form of attack was made easier over the last 10 years as attackers also became aware that the overcarrying rule was rarely enforced and the speedy forwards nearly always got away with 2 to 3 extra steps.

Therefore the balance in the rules in favour of the attacker completely outweighs the rules for the defender.

The only way to stop something in a game where the rules are so imbalanced is to over defend. Thus a secondary form of defence must be in place and a team that risks not doing this will only get caught by the rules, which favour the faster and more skillful attacking teams.

IMO the unintended consequence of the black card rule change is a greater use of the blanket defence tactic. Ironically a rule that was supposed to improve our game is quickly leading to its destruction.

It will be difficult to fix this problem but I'm sure the GAA will get another visionary to come up with a report to solve the problem.

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Syferus

highorlow

QuoteThey aren't related.

Thanks for that. You make a solid argument there.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Dangleberrys

Its a bit like house design in 1980's Ireland.
...need another bedroom so just stick another one to the side of the house, job done!
Whereas a bit of planning and adjusting what already exists is the way to go.

So rather than add more rules to 'save' our game, adjust/refine/implement what we already had....

...plus improve referree standards.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Syferus on April 07, 2015, 01:02:54 AM
They aren't related.

They most definitely are. Read what highorlow has said and explain why you feel the black card hasn't contributed to teams retreating to fill space rather than tackle higher up the pitch. Or maybe come up with another rule change. Why don't we make any player not wearing numbers 1 to 7 put wellies on if they retreat into the defensive half of the pitch? Or maybe give chocolate to any forward who spends more than 70% of the game in the attacking half? Although admittedly, this may be difficult for club game refs to keep tabs on the percentages for each forward.
That was never a square ball!!

StephenC

You could argue that the black card has helped with our style of playing. We try to break at pace once we gain possession and prior to the black card, our runners were regularly blocked. Now this is less likely to happen.

Jinxy

I think the one thing that is abundantly clear is that teams are more than happy to take a black card in the last few minutes of a game if they're defending a lead.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Denn Forever

Is it not just poor  implementation of the Black card rules?  Listening to the Meath/Cavan game, the Cavan commentators were decrying  the lack of Black cards given. Were there incidents that were not punished?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Johnnybegood

Or it could be teams are pulling everyone back during the league to learn how to defend with one eye on being more adventerous when they turn the ball over come summer

Throw ball

Prior to the introduction of the black card Aidan O'Rourke, then manager of Louth, when arguing against the black card said it would make teams more defensive for the reasons outlined. If one county manager was thinking this surely some are adopting the policy now.

Zulu

I don't think there is much of a link though nobody can say for sure, it probably is playing some part but it's small I'd say. I think Donegal are playing the exact same way for example but their victory over Dublin and Kerry's subsequent victory over them has proven to other managers that getting everybody back is a quick and easy way to get yourself competitive.

QuoteOr it could be teams are pulling everyone back during the league to learn how to defend with one eye on being more adventerous when they turn the ball over come summer

I think there's an element of truth in that. There is no doubt that teams are now trying things in the league so they can use them in the championship if they need to and I don't think Dublin, Kerry, Cork or Mayo for example will get too many behind the ball as a standard tactic. Nor should Tyrone but they might well. However, when teams come up against another good team playing lots of bodies behind the ball they'll do likewise and this could lead to some awful games come summer.

magpie seanie

Kick the ball. No-one can run as fast as the ball if it is kicked.

Now I realise that means you have to have fit, fast strong lads who can play football to play football but I reckon it will catch on.

Rossfan

Quick direct kicked ball into forwards who are moving off their men and showing for the ball......
Also a good big man in the FF line as plan B.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

smelmoth

Quote from: Throw ball on April 07, 2015, 12:43:49 PM
Prior to the introduction of the black card Aidan O'Rourke, then manager of Louth, when arguing against the black card said it would make teams more defensive for the reasons outlined. If one county manager was thinking this surely some are adopting the policy now.

Was thisnot just part of O'Rourke's and others desperate attempts to frustrate/dilute the black card?

There are 5 black card offences. Only 2 relate to "tackling" the man in possession. Both (dragging the man to the ground and tripping) were already fouls. Any coach/manager that has to rethink their set up because the penalty for those 2 fouls has changed is a very, very, very, very, very, very poor coach/manager and stuck in a rut with a very, very poor variant on the potentially very good game of gaelic football.

I do hope the Armagh minors do not resort to this sort of mindset.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Jinxy on April 07, 2015, 09:50:09 AM
I think the one thing that is abundantly clear is that teams are more than happy to take a black card in the last few minutes of a game if they're defending a lead.
Exactly, it didnt stop both Kerry & Mayo doing it at the weekend when trying to defend a lead.
Kerry also got away with 2 other quite clear 'black card offences' during the game.
As was my main issue with the rule at the time, its the implentation thats is the issue, and when it comes down to it, the rule still doesnt adress the most cynical of fouls ( the dragging down of the man at the end of a game when defending a lead.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either