Orde quits NI police for new role

Started by ziggysego, April 16, 2009, 10:14:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Northern Ireland's Chief Constable Sir Hugh Orde is to leave his post and become president of the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO).

Sir Hugh, who has been in charge of the PSNI for seven years, narrowly missed out on becoming Metropolitan Police Commissioner earlier this year.

Acpo's 342 members voted on Wednesday for their choice of president.

"To have been elected as the next President of ACPO is a great honour," Sir Hugh said.

"I believe that UK policing is strongest when it is professional, operationally independent, and based on trust and accountability.

"Above all, our decisions should be tested against the reason for which we all joined policing; the protection of the public."

Sir Ken Jones, current ACPO President, said Sir Hugh "brings a wealth of experience and leadership" to ACPO.

"Increasingly the service and its leadership are being drawn into political controversies and it will fall to Sir Hugh to steer us on a sure path through the forthcoming period, both up to and beyond the next general election," he said.

The chairman of Northern Ireland's Policing Board, Sir Desmond Rea, congratulated Sir Hugh but added that he regretted losing him.

"Whilst I deeply regret losing Sir Hugh Orde, I am nevertheless delighted that he has been appointed President of ACPO; and on behalf of the Board I congratulate him on his success," he said.

The chief constable will assume his new role in the Autumn, and the process for appointing a successor will now begin Sir Desmond added.

Speaking before the announcement Northern Ireland Policing Board members Dolores Kelly and Ian Paisley junior agreed that Sir Hugh will be a hard act to follow.

Mrs Kelly said his successor would need to be someone of "enormous skill, with good people management skills in particular."

She said the board would be looking for a candidate who is committed to Northern Ireland for at least five years.

Mr Paisley said that his successor would be spared arriving and having to deal with a marching season.

"We will therefore have a recruitment process which will allow us to bring in a new chief officer who doesn't have to manage a marching season in his first few days," he said.

Sourced BBCi: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8000815.stm
Testing Accessibility

Zapatista

Forgive me as a cynic but....

This provides a great chance to put someone in his place who has not made the commitments he has made. Other than that lalalalalalalalalalalala

illdecide

Martin McGuinness for the new chief of police (for the 2nd time...lol)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Orior

Quote from: illdecide on April 16, 2009, 10:22:37 AM
Martin McGuinness for the new chief of police (for the 2nd time...lol)

Gerry Kelly will nat be playsed to hear ye say that. He wants the jab for himself.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

under the bar

My wife just called me to say Hugh Orde was dead!    ;D

She's turned on the radio to hear tributes and talk of his leagacy so assumed he'd thrown a 7!  lol

Maiden1

Didn't mind Hugh Orde at all.  He seemed a lot less crooked than Ronnie Flanagan or Hugh Annesley was anyhow.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

johnneycool

Quote from: Maiden1 on April 16, 2009, 01:12:39 PM
Didn't mind Hugh Orde at all.  He seemed a lot less crooked than Ronnie Flanagan or Hugh Annesley was anyhow.

Will Alan McQuillan get the gig or have those years of anorexia taken their toll on the shadow of a man?

ExiledGael

No PSNI officer in Northern Ireland has the required experience in charge of other districts so it'll be another outsider.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ExiledGael on April 16, 2009, 08:34:08 PM
No PSNI officer in Northern Ireland has the required experience in charge of other districts so it'll be another outsider.
Orde indicated that another Chief Constable would probably be considered. Why would another Chief Constable want it?

orangeman

Can't see that getting in the way of an internal appointment. I'd say it might be a case of picking someone from outside as they might receive orders more readily than some of the internal candidates who might be swayed politically in one direction or another.

red hander

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 16, 2009, 08:40:04 PM
Orde indicated that another Chief Constable would probably be considered. Why would another Chief Constable want it?

Cos he could double his salary via his expenses like the boul Sir Hugh and then sue several newspapers for libel when they dare to report that fact

Niall Quinn

there's somthing cryptic crosswordy about that title.
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

Maguire01

Quote from: orangeman on April 16, 2009, 09:18:14 PM

Can't see that getting in the way of an internal appointment. I'd say it might be a case of picking someone from outside as they might receive orders more readily than some of the internal candidates who might be swayed politically in one direction or another.
If someone from outside 'might receive orders more readily' is it not they who are being politically swayed?

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: orangeman on April 16, 2009, 09:18:14 PM

Jaysus, do you even read the papers or watch the news ??

There are criteria in place which mean that none of the present ACCs can apply for it even!
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something