Depression

Started by Eamonnca1, October 25, 2013, 09:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

TBH when I read the post I wasn't sure, as those above seem to be, that it was about yourself. I thought you may have been quoting someone else. Mainly because I always saw you as a confident, educated, articulate and interesting poster. I didn't see that poster as doubting himself in the way you described.

But then the only thing I have learned about these type of issues, is that they are rarely logical and easily understood.

Fair play to you for being so open and honest and the hopefully some good will come your way because of it.
MWWSI 2017

Hereiam

Fionnta thats a very honest post lad. As said by others here your posts were the one i would have stopped to read. Hope you overcome this and life gets better for you.

laoislad

Quote from: muppet on September 25, 2016, 11:13:34 PM
TBH when I read the post I wasn't sure, as those above seem to be, that it was about yourself. I thought you may have been quoting someone else. Mainly because I always saw you as a confident, educated, articulate and interesting poster. I didn't see that poster as doubting himself in the way you described.

But then the only thing I have learned about these type of issues, is that they are rarely logical and easily understood.

Fair play to you for being so open and honest and the hopefully some good will come your way because of it.
+1
I also thought he was posting someone else's post.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

Aye like the other lads have said it takes balls to write that. You seem like a great lad (for a Tyronie) so hope you navigate your way around this.

Red Hand Man

Jason McAteer on the Late Late just now talking about his own battle with depression in the past.

It's strangely, for fellow sufferers like myself, reassuring to see people with "profiles" speak candidly like Jason did tonight.

I'm in the midst of the worst onslaught that I've had in months. It's tough going.

Onthe40

Wouldn't have been a while big fan of Mcateers but he spoke eloquently tonight I thought

macdanger2

Yeah, was listening to McAteer earlier, interesting to hear his story.

Powerful post earlier fionntamach, not easy stuff to go through and to continue to go through. I wouldn't have much experience of that kind of stuff so I won't give you any advice on it but hope you're dealing with it ok.

muppet

Quote from: Red Hand Man on September 30, 2016, 11:26:23 PM
Jason McAteer on the Late Late just now talking about his own battle with depression in the past.

It's strangely, for fellow sufferers like myself, reassuring to see people with "profiles" speak candidly like Jason did tonight.

I'm in the midst of the worst onslaught that I've had in months. It's tough going.

I want to say something that might be of use to you, but I am hopelessly out of my depth on this topic. All I can say is the very best of luck to you in dealing with it.
MWWSI 2017

hectorsheroes

McAteer spoke very well - I'm a manager involved with teams and a community worker and I can see every day the impact of depression. No point me trying to advise you myself fella but what I will say is this - your a GAA man you love the smell and craic of the changing room -the obvious nerves and shoulder to the opponent but more than anything your picked your there - you'll not win them all but you know what none of us do but lad if you need a chat - chat - chat like a muthafucka! -  all us boys are spectacularly the same regardless of position or influence so fella enjoy the experience -we'll celebrate the best volunteers tomorrow irrespectively! Mayo in extra time

Jell 0 Biafra

I hope you're getting help for yourself.  Don't try to tough it out on your own.  I wish you the best with it.

Asal Mor

Best of luck RH man. I always advise taking exercise and avoiding alcohol/drugs(including coffee and cigarettes). Hang in there, keep fighting and you'll find a way to overcome it.

Lar Naparka

Hang on, you have a medical, not a mental, condition.
I am talking from personal experience here; I knew I was going to suffer depression and I knew that eventually I would pull through as long as I didn't suffer a total breakdown and committed suicide or self-harm of some sort.
I think muppet posted a link to my post on this thread but I can't find it. Maybe he will oblige again as I don't have time to re-write what I said there.
However, I'm posting this to assure you and other depressives that your condition was brought on by physical factors.  The thermostat we each have in our brains to regulate hormonal levels malfunctions for some reason and depression ensues.
Physical trauma in almost all cases can be cured or at least managed; it takes time for the brain to sort things out but it will and don't feel your macho persona is somehow damaged  by confiding in your doctor or by taking prescribed anti-depressants.
I am quite happy to discuss my experience in the hope that it brings hope to others. I don't give a damn about what ill-informed individuals may say behind my back.
I find that that's a major issues with depressives; they feel ashamed in some way that their problem will be construed by some as a sign of mental weakness or moral deficiency of some sort.
f**k the begrudgers! 
Increasingly, people in general are beginning to gain an understanding of depression and how it affects suffers. Everyone who opens up helps to dispel the ignorance and small-mindedness that afflicted the public heretofore.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

laoislad

Quote from: Asal Mor on October 01, 2016, 09:22:10 AM

Best of luck RH man. I always advise taking exercise and avoiding alcohol/drugs(including coffee and cigarettes). Hang in there, keep fighting and you'll find a way to overcome it.
Exercise is excellent. It helps me big time. The wife can often see something in me where she knows I'm starting to get down and will say something like I think you need to go for a run. I'm not saying I get really depressed like some on here but I do get periods where I know I'm just not myself and find life a bit of a struggle for want for a better word.

I agree with Red Hand man also about it being a comfort when you see a famous/high profile person speak of going through a similar difficultly as yourself. I know when my son was born it really helped to find out a few high profile sportspeople have kids with the same condition. It sort of makes you feel normal if that makes sense like you're not the only one.  I can totally understand where Red Hand Man is coming from when he says that.

Best of luck Red Hand Man, I hope things get better for you soon.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

muppet

There you go Lar.

Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 29, 2013, 02:28:03 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on May 29, 2013, 01:12:15 PM
Fair play to this young man for having the courage to speak publicly about his experiences. Hopefully this will inspire others who are suffering in silence to seek help.
I sincerely his story helps others to cope with depression and to understand that it's a medical problem and not is not brought on by a mental deficiency of any sort.
I also suffered from chronic depression and I know I was extremely lucky to pull through.
In my case, I knew in advance that I was going to get very depressed and was briefed by my GP that a bout would be the inevitable result of the brain aneurysm I had suffered the previous year and the savage bouts of epilepsy that followed on from it.
He couldn't understand how my brain had managed to cope with all the traumas to date I had gone through but warned me that it would, sooner or later, close down all but the core functions in order to a repair itself.
Well, he was right and when depression hit, I went through four months of absolute hell.
Only for the fact that I knew it was going to happen, I would not have survived.
Nobody around me had an idea of what I was going through and endless exhortations to pull myself together only made matters worse.
I lost three stones weight in the space of four months and felt I had nowhere to go and nobody to turn to. Life just didn't seem worth living anymore and I had to battle with suicidal feelings every hour of the day.
I snapped out of it fairly dramatically.
I had another epileptic seizure, at a time when I was feeling very low and once more I was knocked out for five or six hours.
I have been incredibly lucky one again to have been in company at the time it happened and when I woke up, I found I was in Beaumont A&E.
I never felt better!
Although I was black and blue all over from the restraints that were holding me down and faint with hunger and thirst, I knew the black mood had lifted.
I was told that the electrical brainstorm had reset the levels of melatonin and serotonin- somewhat similar to the electroshock therapy used to treat brain disorders. If the balance between those hormones is maladjusted, depression or elation is the likely end result.
I've had no problem with epilepsy or depression ever since.
Reading Alan's story, it struck me once again that people in general haven't a clue of what's going on in a sufferer's brain while in the grip of depression.
Well-meaning but fatuous attempts to buck a sufferer up have the opposite effect.
The condition is a medical one and something like a blow on the head or the stress of surgery can bring it on. Anybody can be affected.
I hope Alan makes a full recovery and is able to cope with the reservations of those who know of his illness. I am a much older man and I couldn't give a damn about what anybody has to say about my time in the horrors.
I know younger people find it harder to cope with snide remarks and double talk and unfortunately, many don't pull through.
I hope his story serves as an inspiration for others with this condition.

Here is a link to that thread: http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=23272.0
MWWSI 2017

Red Hand Man

I seem to have no coping mechanism for when things go wrong.

I can trundle along for weeks feeling as though I'm approaching "normality".  Then something adverse happens, and it completely floors me.

When most people get out of work on a Friday evening, they are walking with a spring in their step.

I spent 90 minutes driving aimlessly, before finding myself at the side of some deep water.  In my heart of hearts I knew I wasn't going to kill myself there and then.  However, the fact that I sat there and thought about it, actually consciously mulled over the affect it would have in people, scared the life out of me.

Someone mentioned to abstain from alcohol.  Without a bottle of red wine last night I wouldn't have slept.

Truth be told I'm in a f**king mess.