Paddy Jackson apology

Started by yellowcard, April 06, 2018, 02:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Judge Patricia Smyth in her charge to the jury at the end of the trial said the following:

"(The complainant) has told you she was vaginally raped and digitally penetrated by Paddy Jackson without her consent, and was orally raped by Stuart Olding. She said she was frozen with fear."

The judge added: "The defence case is that these allegations are false. (The complainant) made false allegations because she became involved in consensual group activity and feared she may have been filmed engaging in these acts."

Turning to the young woman who also attended the after party, and who opened the door of Jackson's bedroom while the incident was taking place, she was described by Judge Smyth as a "key witness".

Asking the jury to consider her impression about "what she had heard and what she had seen", the judge reminded them of this young woman's evidence both to police and to them.

She told police she was "100% sure" she saw Jackson having sexual intercourse with the complainant, and was also "100%" about the woman in the bedroom not being in any distress. When asked if she had any concerns about the complainant's safety when she left the room, the woman said "no".

Judge Smyth also addressed inconsistencies in accounts the complainant gave to her friends, medics, police and also when she gave evidence at the trial last month.

She asked the jury to consider all these accounts and to determine "whether her evidence is true", and once again told them distress and demeanour were not indicators of truthfulness.

Judge Smyth noted different accounts she disclosed in the hours after the incident, which including texting her friends with varying versions of how many men raped her, not telling the Brook Clinic there had been forced oral sex, not telling police from the outset a woman had walked into the bedroom and also differing accounts concerning when McIlroy came into the room.

The judge said: "When you come to consider whether or not her account is true, you must avoid making an assumption that because she said something to someone else, her evidence to you is untrue.

Saying inconsistencies were not uncommon in cases such as this, the Judge said different people reacted in different ways when recalling such an experience. She added: "After such an event, some people may go over and over it in their minds and their memory may be clear, whilst other people may try to avoid thinking about it."

Urging the jury to "look at all the evidence" to determine what effect this has on the complainant's account, the Judge said: "If you are sure her account is true, you are entitled to reply on it. If you think it's not true, you cannot rely on it."

All 11 juror members concluded (very quickly) - NOT GUILTY

Time to allow Paddy to move on.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/diageo-cancels-sponsorship-of-london-irish-over-plans-to-sign-paddy-jackson-1.3924921

Diageo, the owner of Guinness, has cancelled its sponsorship of London Irish Rugby Club due to the club's plans to sign former Ulster and Ireland out half Paddy Jackson.

Mr Jackson was acquitted of rape by a Belfast court last year, alongside three other men who had been charged in relation to the incident, including for less serious offences. Stuart Olding, who was at the time also contracted to Ulster Rugby, was also acquitted of rape. Both men had their professional contracts cancelled in the wake of the acquittal.

In a statement to The Irish Times, Diageo said: "We have met with the club to express our concerns. Their recent decision is not consistent with our values and so we have ended our sponsorship."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

trailer

Quote from: seafoid on June 13, 2019, 05:41:35 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/diageo-cancels-sponsorship-of-london-irish-over-plans-to-sign-paddy-jackson-1.3924921

Diageo, the owner of Guinness, has cancelled its sponsorship of London Irish Rugby Club due to the club's plans to sign former Ulster and Ireland out half Paddy Jackson.

Mr Jackson was acquitted of rape by a Belfast court last year, alongside three other men who had been charged in relation to the incident, including for less serious offences. Stuart Olding, who was at the time also contracted to Ulster Rugby, was also acquitted of rape. Both men had their professional contracts cancelled in the wake of the acquittal.

In a statement to The Irish Times, Diageo said: "We have met with the club to express our concerns. Their recent decision is not consistent with our values and so we have ended our sponsorship."

Diageo actually sell drug. Now they're looking for the moral high ground. The Emperor's new clothes or something...

magpie seanie

Foolish by London Irish to take Jackson in, this was the inevitable result.

Milltown Row2

Will they return to sponsor London Irish if they don't sign him?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

mouview

This and Sean O'Brien's antics mean they probably think it's not worth their while.

Gmac

Quote from: mouview on June 14, 2019, 01:39:57 AM
This and Sean O'Brien's antics mean they probably think it's not worth their while.
ironic seeing  both incidents were fueled by copious amounts of alcohol

Main Street

Quote from: Hound on June 12, 2019, 08:29:28 AM
All 11 juror members concluded (very quickly) - NOT GUILTY
Time to allow Paddy to move on.
Obviously the IRFU and Ulster Rugby considered  there was a lot more about Jackson and Olding's conduct that an acquittal at court couldn't wash off.
IRFU and Ulster Rugby were not keen to help them move on.

Diageo are not stopping London Irish for allowing Jackson to move on.

Dinny Breen

They cynic would see this as opportunist by Diageo. There has been a push back in the UK and indeed Europe over alcohol sponsorship in sport, club rugby is near the bottom when it comes to sport sponsorship anyway. What Diageo would pay to be official beer of London Irish would be peanuts in relative sporting partnership terms. They refused to even meet London Irish, so to me opportunistic and having seen the cause of alcohol addiction within my own extended family Diageo have no moral high ground. Diageo are simply exploiting a rape case for their own benefit.
#newbridgeornowhere

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 14, 2019, 09:58:47 AM
They cynic would see this as opportunist by Diageo. There has been a push back in the UK and indeed Europe over alcohol sponsorship in sport, club rugby is near the bottom when it comes to sport sponsorship anyway. What Diageo would pay to be official beer of London Irish would be peanuts in relative sporting partnership terms. They refused to even meet London Irish, so to me opportunistic and having seen the cause of alcohol addiction within my own extended family Diageo have no moral high ground. Diageo are simply exploiting a rape case for their own benefit.

This, no more to be said.

brokencrossbar1

Now now Dinny, don't be bringing all that logic into this...

Main Street

That's a dubious statement which calls into question the perceptiveness of the cynic which swallows anything London Irish pour out.
Diageo state clearly that they had met with LI before making their announcement and another meeting is arranged.

I'd opine that all betting and drink sponsorship be banned from sport.

Milltown Row2

So to ask the question again, will Diageo return their sponsorship deal should London Irish dump Paddy?, as according to them and their core values (nearly choked when i read that part) was the reason they have distanced themselves and removed sponsorship.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

rosnarun

Quote from: Main Street on June 14, 2019, 11:25:48 AM
That's a dubious statement which calls into question the perceptiveness of the cynic which swallows anything London Irish pour out.
Diageo state clearly that they had met with LI before making their announcement and another meeting is arranged.

definitely but id go further esp about betting I ban all adverting .
is there one really positive aspect from Gambling to suggest Society would be better off with it than with out it ?

If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

toby47

Quote from: rosnarun on June 14, 2019, 12:56:03 PM
Quote from: Main Street on June 14, 2019, 11:25:48 AM

definitely but id go further esp about betting I ban all adverting .
is there one really positive aspect from Gambling to suggest Society would be better off with it than with out it ?

Ban it - a life ruiner for so many people