All this league positivity talk and yet no thread for the final

Started by Fuzzman, April 07, 2017, 01:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hill is Blue

I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

From the Bunker

Quote from: macdanger2 on April 10, 2017, 08:49:11 AM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on April 09, 2017, 10:39:17 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on April 09, 2017, 10:17:12 PM
Did that last free come off the post?

Yes - it came off the post.

A game of inches I suppose

And yes Maher made sure the ball was put back them couple of inches after his Black Card!

blanketattack

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 10, 2017, 09:23:18 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on April 10, 2017, 08:49:11 AM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on April 09, 2017, 10:39:17 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on April 09, 2017, 10:17:12 PM
Did that last free come off the post?

Yes - it came off the post.

A game of inches I suppose

And yes Maher made sure the ball was put back them couple of inches after his Black Card!

It was still taken a few feet further forward than where the foul took place and ironically would have gone over if taken from the right spot.

weareros

Great game, but I'd see the defeat as a blessing in disguise for Dublin. The bigger fish is the three-in-a-row. Never got the sense that Dublin were putting too much into the league this year and were sluggish in many games. They may have felt they peaked too early last year and just about got over the line against Mayo, who themselves lived dangerously but improved as the year went on. That said, had a couple of decisions gone Dublin's way yesterday, they'd have pulled off a narrow victory, despite Kerry dominating for a long spell of the second half. Could be like 1977 - young Kerry team win the league, but we remember what happens in the championship.

Declan

Enjoyable day out in HQ yesterday. Kerry deserved the win alright but I wouldn't be overly concerned for the summer. Some great scores and some great blackguarding - nearly championship pace. 

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Declan on April 10, 2017, 01:53:04 PM
Enjoyable day out in HQ yesterday. Kerry deserved the win alright but I wouldn't be overly concerned for the summer. Some great scores and some great blackguarding - nearly championship pace.
The difference between the two games in terms of intensity was amazing.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 11, 2017, 09:35:10 AM

Money greases the wheels of excellence..

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on April 11, 2017, 01:08:27 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 11, 2017, 09:35:10 AM

Money greases the wheels of excellence..
Jeez, Syf, you're hitting a purple patch lately- keep 'er lit! ;D

That's as succinct and relevant as anyone could hope for.
When it costs as much to put a Gaelic senior football team on the field as it does to put an astronaut on the moon, it's time to stop and take stock.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

GrandMasterFlash

magpie seanie

Really enjoyed the Division 1 final. It showed that rumours of the death of gaelic football have been greatly exaggerated. Huge credit to Kerry for a super performance but of course Dublin were only the width of a post from extra time which again underlines how hard they are to beat. I think there is a lot for Dublin to learn from this game which will make them even better for the championship. I also believe this win will boost Kerry and actually fuel their hunger and belief.

As for the others - Donegal have been the standout in terms of surpassing expectation. Their young lads will have played lots of football come august but they're young so they might well kick on. Mayo will be there or thereabouts. They have very little improvement to make. They still haven't unearthed personnel for their problem areas but better game planning/management might overcome that. I wouldn't pay too much heed to their iffy league campaign. They might start the championship poorly again but should be challenging come August. Tyrone started so well but have regressed badly. I'd be worried for them but could still see them turning things around and being a major force. Shot selection and missing good chances need to be erased. Monaghan are a really exciting outfit. Jack McCarron's emergence has made up for a bit of a dip by McManus but in the championship I think McManus will benefit hugely from McCarron.

Beyond those it's hard to see serious contenders. Galway deservedly won the D2 final because they wanted it but I was mightily disappointed with Kildare. Themselves and Meath really should be a lot better than they are and should be able to put it up to Dublin. It looks like Westmeath are the next best team in Leinster again though I accept Meath and Kildare are better than last year.

seafoid

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on April 11, 2017, 01:44:26 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on April 11, 2017, 01:15:23 PM
I'm all in favour of the Dubs being sent to the moon.

Who'd sponsor the rocket?
Barney Rocket
Morgan fuels
Maybe Bord na Mona
The National Stud
Mr Tayto
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

JoG2

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on April 11, 2017, 01:44:26 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on April 11, 2017, 01:15:23 PM
I'm all in favour of the Dubs being sent to the moon.

Who'd sponsor the rocket?

They already have a rocket, he plays the attacking corner back roll

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.