Mayo v Dublin

Started by Northside Dub, March 27, 2007, 11:00:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

It all about gaining an edge , and its a good sign that it seemed to have ne effect whatsoever on mayo . dublin for years are a team playing on hype .  they feel they need a massive momentum to get them going hence  the need for the swaying hill to get them up for it or other tacics away from home . I think thats why they were so hurt over mayo stealing  'their hill ' last year.  
this is a good dublin team with top class skill levels but they are lacking something . I think on the management side to prepare them proerly for the bigger games. Mayo were lucky to come away with a victory yesterday but we only had half a team or half a team minus onus 1 if you include AOM
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

blast05

The same comment re the dressing room was posted on reservoirdubs yesterday by a dub fan who was listening to the match on MWR

dubnut

Ros, I 100% disagree that Mayo were lucky yesterday, given the wide count they really should have beaten us by lots more.

Yes Dublin missed a peno, but Mayo deserved their win

dubnut

Quote from: blast05 on April 02, 2007, 10:55:09 AM
The same comment re the dressing room was posted on reservoirdubs yesterday by a dub fan who was listening to the match on MWR

Thats the same source Blast, MWR. I'm just wondering why it hasnt been mentioned anwhere else.

tayto

Our record on the road is brutal, BRUTAL.

This Dublin team falls apart when the tide starts going against us, It's something we've seen before and sadly when we meet a quality team this summer i've no doubt we'll see it again. This more then anything will stop us being real contenders."No better team to check out at half time then Dublin" said the Tyrone selector, how right he was and is. Dunno if it's bottle, leadership or bad calls on the line but we seem to panic when things get serious, the real contenders can get off the back foot when they're knocked back, we seem incapable of doing something when it's goes wrong.

rosnarun

we cant really discount the wide count , if conor mort is not shooting for us  we seem to be in trouble. dillions has his day but Mort usually score prob more than 50% for us  and even though he has his worst game ever for mayo yesterday he was still top scorer. Mayo forwards are fantastic footballers but  are just not the type to trouble the score keeper enough . Ciaran Mc cant come back quick enough , But can K oneill and super Mac really play on the same team ? one of them is ging to have to change roles as will any moran who was an extra back for much of the game yesterday.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

stephenite

Quote from: tayto on April 02, 2007, 11:04:01 AM
Dunno if it's bottle, leadership or bad calls on the line but we seem to panic when things get serious, the real contenders can get off the back foot when they're knocked back, we seem incapable of doing something when it's goes wrong.

I've been thinking about this Tayto, while I didn't see yesterdays game I came to the conclusion after last years semi final that the Dubs only needed one or two more forwards to support Brogan and they'd not be too far away from Sam this year, they seem to have found the forwards but I was wrong about them being close to Sam I think.
Loathe to go on league form, but I can't see the Dubs winning the AI with Pillar, the county board fecked up and shoould have gone for a fresh face the last time maybe? There just seems to be something about the guy on the line that doesn't inspire

Stagmeister

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on April 02, 2007, 10:35:13 AM
Mike Finnerty and Billy Fitz had a story on the Mid-West radio coverage that Dublin claimed sweet revenge for Mayo's little bit of fun with the Hill last summer. It seems that when Mayo arrived at the home team dressing room that the Dubs were already in situ, and had blocked the way with an ice bath.

Anybody know what was the point of this? Don't Dublin have other stuff to worry about? Like football?

You know yesterday was April the 1st?? Obviously an April fools day joke...there's no way that happened

Gettin back to the match...Mayo deserved to win + would have won by more if their shooting hadnt been so bad...at the same time though dublin had no luck at all...hitting the inside of the post and the top of the crossbar with a couple of mins to go + at one stage in the second half I felt Bernad Brogan was fouled about 25 yards out straight in front of the posts...the ref didnt give the free and mayo went straight up the other end and scored. Still the better team won...

However from a Dublin perspective I wouldnt be that worried about the defeat yesterday...if the Dublin management were serious about winning that game yesterday they wouldnt have left Whelan on the field for almost an hour - he didnt look fit and didnt contribute to the game at all in the second half, I think Pillar just left him on to improve his match fitness. Over the last few years Mayo have always been sharper at this stage of the year than the dubs - and it was the same again yesterday.

IolarCoisCuain

I completely forgot about yesterday being Lá na nAmadán. That sounds like the most likely explanation alright. A relief so for all concerned.

Except me for being one of the Amadáin in question, of course.  :-[

dubnut

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on April 02, 2007, 11:36:58 AM
I completely forgot about yesterday being Lá na nAmadán. That sounds like the most likely explanation alright. A relief so for all concerned.

Except me for being one of the Amadáin in question, of course.  :-[

I wouldnt worry, there were no shortage of amadans in Castlebar yesterday!

tayto

Quote from: stephenite on April 02, 2007, 11:13:08 AM
Quote from: tayto on April 02, 2007, 11:04:01 AM
Dunno if it's bottle, leadership or bad calls on the line but we seem to panic when things get serious, the real contenders can get off the back foot when they're knocked back, we seem incapable of doing something when it's goes wrong.

I've been thinking about this Tayto, while I didn't see yesterdays game I came to the conclusion after last years semi final that the Dubs only needed one or two more forwards to support Brogan and they'd not be too far away from Sam this year, they seem to have found the forwards but I was wrong about them being close to Sam I think.
Loathe to go on league form, but I can't see the Dubs winning the AI with Pillar, the county board fecked up and shoould have gone for a fresh face the last time maybe? There just seems to be something about the guy on the line that doesn't inspire

I didnt see the game either Stephenite, was away on a stag weekend, but the half time txt that we'd a good frist half and then the full time txt that we'd been bet came as no huge surprise. Hard to know if it's he management or a lack of real leadership from the older more experienced players but we seldom make telling switches that'll rescue a game that's slipping away. No doubt about it that the team are prepared exceptionally well but there does seem to be a certain something missing from the mix, dont know if it's a  calm leadership on the line - embarrasing scenes before our game with yourselves in Croke Park last summer and the like, no sense calling for a managers head but they've a lot to prove this summer and i've a feeling we'll see the same failings, hope to christ i'm proven wrong of course.

Over the Bar

QuoteIt seems that when Mayo arrived at the home team dressing room that the Dubs were already in situ, and had blocked the way with an ice bath.

LOL.  How foolish does this make them look following their 2nd half capitulation?  Pillar shows himself to be so brain-dead at times that he should get a Darwin award.

dubnut

Quote from: Over the Bar on April 02, 2007, 11:59:55 AM
QuoteIt seems that when Mayo arrived at the home team dressing room that the Dubs were already in situ, and had blocked the way with an ice bath.

LOL.  How foolish does this make them look following their 2nd half capitulation?  Pillar shows himself to be so brain-dead at times that he should get a Darwin award.

You didnt read any more after that quote did you  ::)
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

An Gaeilgoir

A few thoughs about yesterdays game, Negatives first, we need a full back poor Kilcullen was not at the races at all yesterday. Enda Devenney was poor,he gave his man way too much space. Ger Brady is not a center forward,he is not mobile enough,loses possesion to easily and can not tackle the backs coming out with the ball. Poor old Austin was strcuk by lead feed and greasy hands for most of the match. Hopefully Trevor Mortimor will soon be back,at least then Conor might pass it to a team mate. ::) 
Positives,
Subs came on made a big difference. We now have two very good goalkeepers on the panel now. Alan Dillon and Aidan Cmpbell steadied the ship when they came on.I think we now have great competition for midfield now with David heaney going so well in the last two Games. we have come back from losing at half time to win tight games. All in all when the injury list shortens we will be a handy enough outfit.

More positives than negatives i feel.

Redgreenery

I agree An Gaeilgoir that there are more positives than negatives. When T Mort and Mc Donald come back the likes of A Campbell could well lose his place but to have him on the bench to be called on when he is needed is very reassuring! Andy Moran is looking like he can play in both a Forward position and a back position which is a huge positive and he's a strong and accurate player too. I agree about Heaney too he is really proving himself again and in mid field too!! Great to know we have another player who can play midfield really well!!