2007 NCAA Football thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, September 04, 2007, 03:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

HUGE HUGE shock at the weekend as Divison 1-AA Appalachian State defeat #5 ranked Michigan Wolverines in Ann Arbor in what ranks as one of the biggest upsets in College Football history

last 2 minutes of the game here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_LnLiv99Ys

full back

Is that the one where 2 FG's are blocked in last few minutes?

Gabriel_Hurl

the very one - Michigan had 2 blocked

magpie seanie

I'm actually nearly getting into this at the moment. I've NASN at present and watched bits of games from last weekend. Could be a good bit more interesting than the Premiership.

Gabriel_Hurl

I actually prefer college games to NFL games – players are a lot more athletic – the excitement levels cannot compare either

dec

Notre Dame looked awful losing 33-3 against Georgia Tech

Craigyhill Terror

Quote from: dec on September 04, 2007, 04:41:00 PM

That's because they are awful

Puckoon

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on September 04, 2007, 04:04:40 PM
I actually prefer college games to NFL games – players are a lot more athletic – the excitement levels cannot compare either

Gabriel, are you associated with any university athletics over there? Im in Nevada myself, not a great football team, but the basketball team have done very well this past few seasons. Theres something unique about how much community interest gets generated - something I didnt notice in my time at queens.

heganboy

I don't agree that the college players are more athletic, the pro players are so close in ability that its more difficult to stand out.
Anybody been watching hard knocks about the kansas city pre-season?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

David McKeown

Was at UT a couple of years back when they won the national championship, was unreal in terms of excitement and a sense of community.  We have little like it over here
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Craigyhill Terror on September 04, 2007, 04:42:23 PM
Quote from: dec on September 04, 2007, 04:41:00 PM

That's because they are awful

Yeah - it's going to be a tough 2 years for Irish fans

Quote from: Puckoon on September 04, 2007, 04:43:58 PMGabriel, are you associated with any university athletics over there? Im in Nevada myself, not a great football team, but the basketball team have done very well this past few seasons. Theres something unique about how much community interest gets generated - something I didnt notice in my time at queens.

No - I'm not at all - it does amaze me though at the support these teams get especially from old students, alumni etc. I suppose the closest big school to me would be Syracuse - I'd like to get to one of their basketball games - and of course a game at South Bend

Quote from: heganboy on September 04, 2007, 04:46:26 PM
I don't agree that the college players are more athletic, the pro players are so close in ability that its more difficult to stand out.
Anybody been watching hard knocks about the kansas city pre-season?

I suppose it's maybe because college players are trying harder in order to impress NFL teams and get a contract. I think a lot of the NFL'ers don't have the same need to try and impress as they have already "made it"

dec

One of the reasons for the popularity is the absence of major pro sports in the area. States like Alabama and Nebraska do not have any teams in the four major US sports leagues so they tend to go nuts about the next best thing which is college sports.