Donegal v Kerry

Started by Kerry Mike, March 21, 2007, 05:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Dempsey

Mike Frank still the man. Would be quiet happy if I was a kerry man. Things ticking over nicely even though they lost. Regarding Tom Sullivan for full back. Last year v armaghs 2 man fullforward line the position himself and mccarthy played didnt differ at all. Was only the number on the shirt.

magickingdom

next few weeks should be interesting, if kerry beat tyrone and the dubs beat mayo we'll have a logjam on top of 1a. kerry could yet play the dubs in croke pk in a double header with the dublin hurlers in the league q/f if they beat either antrim or tipp...

Ball Hopper

more like a logjam for second place.

Kerry Mike

Fair play to Donegal thay were well deserving of their win.

They dominated midfield and as a result we were llimited in our attacking options. Losing Donaghy so early was a big blow as he was involved in alot of the early plays, with MFR and Quill playing off him well. Once he went off Donegal seemed to up the tempo and only for Diarmuid Murphy making a few great saves we would have been out the gate at half time. The goal was well taken when it came.
Donegal have a few big men around midfield and they hoovered up alot of clean and breaking ball.

McFadden in the first half caused us all sorts of problems with his dummys and Devanney took his scores well in the second half. They seemed to be at a higher level of fitness too than our boys and you could see that at the end where the Donegal lads had the legs for most of the 50-50 balls.

As for us, one plus was that we ended the game with 15 players for the first time in the league though Darragh and Tomas O'Se were walking a tight line there at the end. Sean O'Sullivan also was lucky after picking up 3 fouls and thankfully Pat O'Shea pulled him ashore before he saw red.
I thought the referee was poor enough for both teams.

From our point of view we need to up the ante in terms of our fitness, and how we compete in midfield, the forwards started well but once Donaghy went off there was little to look at, Mike Frank and Quill kicked a few good points but the supply was cut to them from around the middle.

Our full back line got a roasting, with Devanney in particular causing Marc O'Se and Tom o'Sullivan all sorts of trouble. Lots of gaps in our half backline allowed the goal chances in the first half and we need to be tighter there. Mossy Lyons had a poor game and even though he kicked a point he was well off the pace. Reidy too seemed out of position. Tomas O'Se played well and his points were well taken.

Midfireld started well and even though Darragh O'Se kicked 2 fine points we faded out of it mid way through the first half and it was surprising that there were no changes there. I thought Seamus Scanlon did okay and it was good to get Paul Galvin back in action. Bryan Sheehan won alot of ball but was bottled up very easily and he needs to assert himself on a game more.

So its back to the drawing board, we have Tyrone next Saturday and that will be a tough game, Donaghy is out for 8 weeks with a dislocated shoulder and will be a huge loss. With the Dr Crokes lads still missing we will be up against it for a fired up Tyrone team, neither team can really afford to lose at this stage with semi finals and relagation still to be decided.

Donegal are as good as in the Semis at this stage and on yesterday's performance will be hard stopped for the title.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Kerry Mike on March 26, 2007, 09:39:14 AM

So its back to the drawing board, we have Tyrone next Saturday and that will be a tough game, Donaghy is out for 8 weeks with a dislocated shoulder and will be a huge loss. With the Dr Crokes lads still missing we will be up against it for a fired up Tyrone team, neither team can really afford to lose at this stage with semi finals and relagation still to be decided.

Sincerely hope you're right Kerry Mike, for that's a fire that we haven't seen in a while, and no harm for us at all that Donaghy's missing.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

rosnarun

how confident can donegal be with devenny running the show ? and in such brilliant form in march methinks it might become a bit much for him  . what chances hell still be playing and on for come summer?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

J70

Quote from: rosnarun on March 26, 2007, 10:44:57 AM
how confident can donegal be with devenny running the show ? and in such brilliant form in march methinks it might become a bit much for him  . what chances hell still be playing and on for come summer?

We'll see. He hasn't played this well in a run of consecutive matches in five or six years. Donegal seem to be putting the ball in earlier, so maybe that's part of the reason for his resurgence, as he's a quick lad. Maybe he's hungrier after the year out, while he's definitely come back into a far more motivated team than the one he left. Better for him to be in good form than struggling at this stage though. The same goes for Colm McFadden. If either loses form, there are capable lads like Kevin McMenamin, Michael Doherty, Leon Thompson and even Adrian Sweeney waiting on the bench.

forkinknife

.....muffle,,,,,,whimper.....whimper.......boohoo.....waaaaah....waaaah...grind.....grind....boohoo

What's that?

It's the sound of wailing and knashing of teeth in Donegal in the summer after another false dawn. WISE UP donegal!  Brendan Devilly can't take it up him. WISE UP KERRY! Without Donaghy you're no better than Tipperary.

We'll see so very soon Kerry Mike you culchie dungspreader.

dubnut

Quote from: forkinknife on March 26, 2007, 03:04:28 PM
.....muffle,,,,,,whimper.....whimper.......boohoo.....waaaaah....waaaah...grind.....grind....boohoo

What's that?

It's the sound of wailing and knashing of teeth in Donegal in the summer after another false dawn. WISE UP donegal!  Brendan Devilly can't take it up him. WISE UP KERRY! Without Donaghy you're no better than Tipperary.

We'll see so very soon Kerry Mike you culchie dungspreader.

Kerry Mike, is this they guy I was mistaken for in my abscence?
I feel an apology is due!

forkinknife

Will you stop f**king sniffing after my ass. Bet your from Stillorgan, Foxrock, Booterstown or Mount Merrion with big bastard gates on your house. Your D4 faux posh aren't welcome down my way. Away and do lunch with your boss.

dubnut

North County Dublin forkinknife.
You dont need to be "posh" to know youre a crazy bastard.
Now leave the donegal and kerry lads alone to discuss their game.

p.s. wheres "down your way", some kip I bet : }

armaghniac

QuoteWe'll see so very soon Kerry Mike you culchie dungspreader.

When it comes to spreading manure, you do it by by the forkload yourself. Unlike Kerry Mike who is a distinguished author! 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: forkinknife on March 26, 2007, 03:13:44 PM
Will you stop f**king sniffing after my ass. Bet your from Stillorgan, Foxrock, Booterstown or Mount Merrion with big bastard gates on your house. Your D4 faux posh aren't welcome down my way. Away and do lunch with your boss.

I hope u don't kiss Paula with that mouth  ;D
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Kerry Mike

QuoteWe'll see so very soon Kerry Mike you culchie dungspreader

Howya Paula...

QuoteWithout Donaghy you're no better than Tipperary

Tipp will be delighted to be ranked alongside the greats, they are making great progress.

Keeping taking the tablets and breath deeply. Now thats better.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football