Jim Gavin

Started by imtommygunn, November 30, 2019, 02:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

Quote from: seafoid on December 04, 2019, 12:00:38 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/jim-gavin-leaves-dublin-with-history-made-and-gaelic-football-transformed-1.4100789

Jim Gavin honours as Dublin manager

6 All-Irelands
7 Leinster titles
5 National Leagues
49 All Stars 
4 Footballers of the Year
Overall Record - Played 107 Won 86 Lost 11 Drew 10
Championship - Played 48 Won 44 Lost 1 Drew 3
League - Played 59 Won 42 Lost 10 Drew 7

The U21 sides he managed to All Ireland titles in 2010 and 2012 had plenty of players who would go on to star in his senior teams. R O Carroll, J Cooper, J McCarthy, D Rock, J McCaffrey, C Kilkenny, P Mannion to name but a few.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

mayoman dan

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/jim-gavin-leaves-dublin-with-history-made-and-gaelic-football-transformed-1.4100789

6 All-Irelands
7 Leinster titles
5 National Leagues
49 All Stars 

Out of interest how many of those 48 championship games were played in Croke park???

Rossfan

42 I'd hazard a guess at.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

Only ever played 2 away championship games. Gas!

From the Bunker

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 04, 2019, 04:44:42 PM

And one of those was a Dead Rubber!

Better not say much more or I'll be accused of being divisive and mean spirited!

You have to admit Dublin have a great home record!

Rossfan

But but but.... sure the poor devils never get to play at home.
The bad oul GAA force them to play in a big Stadium miles away.......

2 miles or so ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

dublin7

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 04, 2019, 07:38:10 PM

Better not say much more or I'll be accused of being divisive and mean spirited!

They won the majority of their away games in the national league as well. Last year was the 1st time Gavin didn't try to win the national league. Even travelled to Leitrim to play  Roscommon

lenny

Quote from: Blowitupref on December 04, 2019, 12:27:34 PM

6 All-Irelands
7 Leinster titles
5 National Leagues
49 All Stars 

The U21 sides he managed to All Ireland titles in 2010 and 2012 had plenty of players who would go on to star in his senior teams. R O Carroll, J Cooper, J McCarthy, D Rock, J McCaffrey, C Kilkenny, P Mannion to name but a few.

I'd predict that in the next 10 years dublin will win at the most 2 all ireland's, possibly even 0 or 1. At that point everyone will recognise Gavin as the greatest manager of all time.

TheGreatest

Total devastation here, i said it here before, my biggest fear is the day Jim Gavins leaves the team.

The most important thing to remember, its not all about the winning, its the legacy and culture he leaves in place and the men he made. All future players will aspire to this era as the template.

The team still has the players to win a couple of more, however some slight cracks are appearing and who will also follow him in retirement.

My choice for successor is Cluxton.

blanketattack

Quote from: dublin7 on December 05, 2019, 05:35:42 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on December 04, 2019, 07:38:10 PM

They won the majority of their away games in the national league as well. Last year was the 1st time Gavin didn't try to win the national league. Even travelled to Leitrim to play  Roscommon

Yeah but wasn't willing to shoot the breeze with Kevin McStay in the process. Bad form!

trueblue1234

Quote from: lenny on December 05, 2019, 07:31:13 AM
Quote from: Blowitupref on December 04, 2019, 12:27:34 PM

6 All-Irelands
7 Leinster titles
5 National Leagues
49 All Stars 

I'd predict that in the next 10 years dublin will win at the most 2 all ireland's, possibly even 0 or 1. At that point everyone will recognise Gavin as the greatest manager of all time.

If you actually believe that, you can make a fortune at the bookies. Trust me they will line up to take the money of you.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Tubberman

Quote from: TheGreatest on December 05, 2019, 08:50:13 AM
Total devastation here, i said it here before, my biggest fear is the day Jim Gavins leaves the team.

The most important thing to remember, its not all about the winning, its the legacy and culture he leaves in place and the men he made. All future players will aspire to this era as the template.

The team still has the players to win a couple of more, however some slight cracks are appearing and who will also follow him in retirement.

Pass me a bucket! You only appear on here to crow about how great Dublin are (look at your username ffs) and to insult others.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

imtommygunn

Quote from: Tubberman on December 05, 2019, 09:59:06 AM

Pass me a bucket! You only appear on here to crow about how great Dublin are (look at your username ffs) and to insult others.

It's like he's done media training and treats this as the media but got it all wrong  ;D

To be fair though I find some of the criticism of Gavin a bit harsh. Yes he has clear advantages but he is clearly an exceptional guy too. It will be very interesting to see how they follow up now. You would expect them to still dominate but how much so will tell us how good he is / was.

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 05, 2019, 12:23:14 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on December 05, 2019, 09:59:06 AM

It's like he's done media training and treats this as the media but got it all wrong  ;D

To be fair though I find some of the criticism of Gavin a bit harsh. Yes he has clear advantages but he is clearly an exceptional guy too. It will be very interesting to see how they follow up now. You would expect them to still dominate but how much so will tell us how good he is / was.
That will depend on the quality of the opposition. Will Kerry get closer ? Will anyone else step up?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/john-costello-questions-standards-of-prime-time-reporting-on-dublin-football-1.4105652

John Costello, the Dublin GAA chief executive, has questioned the "standards" and "editorial choice" adopted by RTÉ's Prime Time programme in the immediate aftermath of the capital football team clinching a historic five-in-a-row of All-Ireland titles.

In Costello's wide ranging annual missive he addresses Prime Time's suggestion that due to Dublin's "abundant resources of population and sponsorship there will never again be real equality in the game."

RTÉ followed this up with a report noting ill feeling around the country about Dublin's "financial advantage" and how it may have "paved the road" for recent success.

"Dublin football teams have 'raised the passions' of supporters, commentators and viewers for a long time," Costello wrote this morning. "There is just something about that jersey that creates lively debate! The success of the team of the 1970s brought with it some derision. The more things change

What is interesting is the dissent

"We are, unfortunately, becoming familiar with the increasingly twisted manner of public discourse and I genuinely believe that a large part of the contorted debate about funding for Dublin falls into this category.~"
"Without moderation, what happens on social media where attention and populist outrage are craved is largely beyond our control and unworthy in many instances of rational debate. "
I was somewhat shocked when, with the dust not even settled on our historic All-Ireland football success, RTÉ's flagship investigative programme Prime Time included the debate as an 'issue' worth covering"

This will only increase. Because the sport also belongs to 33 other counties.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU