The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Quote from: Low and Hard on July 05, 2018, 10:37:52 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 04, 2018, 11:56:06 PM
Heard it alright! Literally the first catholic i ever heard call it that@ he be popular up round the city@@

Unbelievable really. Hope he gets the yips!

Who the feck was he pandering to?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Orior on July 05, 2018, 12:55:39 PM
Quote from: Low and Hard on July 05, 2018, 10:37:52 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 04, 2018, 11:56:06 PM
Heard it alright! Literally the first catholic i ever heard call it that@ he be popular up round the city@@

Unbelievable really. Hope he gets the yips!

Who the feck was he pandering to?

Himself?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trailer

Regardless if you like him or hate him, he has to be given huge credit for resurrecting the Irish open. It was about to be dropped until he stepped in. Now it has €7m prize money and is part of the Rolex series.

Paul McGinley hosting it next year, similar to the British Masters which has a different host every year.

Applesisapples

Quote from: trailer on July 05, 2018, 01:44:24 PM
Regardless if you like him or hate him, he has to be given huge credit for resurrecting the Irish open. It was about to be dropped until he stepped in. Now it has €7m prize money and is part of the Rolex series.

Paul McGinley hosting it next year, similar to the British Masters which has a different host every year.
I agree with you, I don't like him, but credit to him he resurrected the Irish open and has given it credibility. He seems to be full of contradictions...like most of us I suppose.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: Low and Hard on July 04, 2018, 11:35:15 PM
Quote from: Minder on July 04, 2018, 11:15:36 PM
Quote from: Low and Hard on July 04, 2018, 11:05:11 PM
Anyone hear McIroy say Londonderry in an interview on bbc. He will have lost some fans tonight. All respect gone!

He nailed his colours to the mast long ago, some just didn't want to accept it

I never thought it was that bad. He had close relations play for Down ffs!

Must support Trone comin out way that shite  ;) ;D

AZOffaly

Quote from: Boycey on June 21, 2018, 05:42:41 PM
How can people get so annoyed about a golfer (or a darts thrower as I found out earlier this year) that you are never likely to meet. Team sports like GAA , soccer or whatever else floats your boat are tribal and heroes and villians are plentiful but these individual sports or pastimes, more like, are just enjoyment based watching. I've got my own favourites who I'll root for but I can't imagine shouting obsenities at the screen over it.

I met Mickelson. He was grand.

Franko

Quote from: trailer on July 05, 2018, 01:44:24 PM

What does hosting involve?  I'm guessing he uses his profile to coax fellow pros to compete and up the sponsorship funding?

Is there more to it than that?

Gabriel_Hurl

Phil and Tiger supposedly setting up a $10m winner-takes-all match made for TV later in the year. 

screenexile

Was at it yesterday and loved it. Just a great day out with the weather the great golf and the setup of the whole event being fantastic.

Brilliant way to spend a day!!

Rois

Tickets released this morning for next year's Open in Portrush, if anyone's interested.

screenexile

Quote from: Rois on July 09, 2018, 10:07:53 AM
Tickets released this morning for next year's Open in Portrush, if anyone's interested.

Sorted thanks for reminding me Rois the email would have sat in my promotions inbox without being looked at for days had I not been on here.

It's a bit steeper than the Irish Open but then it was always going to be I guess. Really looking forward to it now.

Does anyone else think that the Irish Open in Lahinch will start to struggle now without Rory's name being attached to it?

Orior

Quote from: screenexile on July 09, 2018, 03:09:14 PM

Sorted thanks for reminding me Rois the email would have sat in my promotions inbox without being looked at for days had I not been on here.

It's a bit steeper than the Irish Open but then it was always going to be I guess. Really looking forward to it now.

Does anyone else think that the Irish Open in Lahinch will start to struggle now without Rory's name being attached to it?

No, not when he calls Derry by the L word.

The Irish Open has enough momentum and critical mass to survive without him, thank you very much.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Rois

Quote from: Orior on July 09, 2018, 04:22:44 PM
The Irish Open has enough momentum and critical mass to survive without him, thank you very much.
I agree with that - the tourist bodies will pour enough into it, but it def has Rory to thank for the recent resurgence.  As long as it still has the big prize money to attract the famous players, it'll do fine. 

thewobbler

It was a dwindling mess despite the successes of Harrington, Clarke and McDowell.  Rory is box office, whether you want to admit it or not.

screenexile

Quote from: thewobbler on July 09, 2018, 04:55:52 PM

It was a dwindling mess despite the successes of Harrington, Clarke and McDowell.  Rory is box office, whether you want to admit it or not.

It was very noticeable when entering on Friday at about 9 in the morning any conversation I overheard on the way in was inevitably asking where Rory was on the course and whether he could go well. He was hitting the ball like a dream but once he got on the greens he looked like a lost soul!!