GETTR

Started by Orior, January 03, 2022, 10:56:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Has anyone joined the GETTR platform yet? Seems to me that every right wing brexiteer is heading there because Twitter apparently suppresses free speech.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ONeill

Noticed that too. Is that where Graham Linehan went?
I think the Covid deniers have headed there too.
Local shop for local people.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Orior on January 03, 2022, 10:56:47 AM
Has anyone joined the GETTR platform yet? Seems to me that every right wing brexiteer is heading there because Twitter apparently suppresses free speech.

Twitter does suppress free speech! Almost all the leading platforms do! Dangerous stuff to do. Most of this goes underground and is not challenged! Also who decides what is true and what is lies?

armaghniac

Gettr, a site established by the former Trump adviser Jason Miller?
I see Marjorie Taylor Greene, a US Republican anti vax nutter, has headed over there after Twitter banned her.
It sounds like a looney echo chamber.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

JoG2

Divide and conquer. I honestly don't know how anyone would have the head space for the likes of twitter etc.
This place would be the height of my virtual interaction and its mostly for the football. Of course there's other non football posts you'd have a look at / contribute.
I'll click on twitter links on here or if someone sends me a link. By christ it's an awful place, full of anonymous hatred. 2 mins and the mood takes a serious nose dive. But, each to their own

armaghniac

Quote from: armaghniac on January 03, 2022, 11:51:29 AM
Gettr, a site established by the former Trump adviser Jason Miller?
I see Marjorie Taylor Greene, a US Republican anti vax nutter, has headed over there after Twitter banned her for posting lies.
It sounds like a looney echo chamber.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ONeill

Quote from: JoG2 on January 03, 2022, 11:52:08 AM
Divide and conquer. I honestly don't know how anyone would have the head space for the likes of twitter etc.
This place would be the height of my virtual interaction and its mostly for the football. Of course there's other non football posts you'd have a look at / contribute.
I'll click on twitter links on here or if someone sends me a link. By christ it's an awful place, full of anonymous hatred. 2 mins and the mood takes a serious nose dive. But, each to their own

It's a good experiment in understanding how the human psyche works. There is a lot of hatred stored deep down in a lot of people. I'm not sure if it's a personal feeling of inadequacy or the need to make others feel bad.

Indeed, there are more people who don't engage in social media conversations than those who do and maybe they don't have the need to do the above.

But in recent years, and with more people having the confidence to express their opinions,  the level of negativity is growing.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

imtommygunn

That post to Diane Dodds the other day was disgusting. Whoever that was deserves to be taken out and given a hiding.

Twitter great for sports updates and a few things like that.

J70

Its a tough question.

On the one hand, twisted lunatics like Marjorie Taylor Greene should absolutely not be allowed to spread her bile and lies far and wide with impunity.

On the other, banning her and Trump and the like and exiling them to obscure, made-for-purpose, out of sight, right wing hate forums also serves to further the division and the information bubbles that foster their influence.

It would be fine if it was just a few Klan-types or other obscure, far-from-the-mainstream groups, but these fuckwits are very high profile politicians with huge influence.

But then again, the loss of his Twitter privileges is partly why Trump is no longer such a daily, corrosive presence in US life. He's obviously still there and his minions are, depending on the situation, going quietly or noisily about their business of eroding democracy across the country, but at least we don't have the noisy, abusive drunk sitting at the bar ruining everyone's night all the time.

I'm with others here as well. I've never set up a Twitter account and don't ever plan to. I've nothing to say that anyone out there desperately needs to hear, and I don't need to be drip-fed a minute-by-minute diet of over-the-top outrage and indignation.

RedHand88

I took myself off all social media (bar this and a Liverpool forum). I'm all the better for it. Its wild what you see on twitter. Anonymous accounts spewing hatred at other anonymous accounts. The divide between left/right, orange/green, vax/antivax is made worse by social media.

Orior

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 03, 2022, 02:14:27 PM

That post to Diane Dodds the other day was disgusting. Whoever that was deserves to be taken out and given a hiding.

Twitter great for sports updates and a few things like that.

Agreed that it was an unacceptable post about the Dodds. It is interesting though that some who vented their disgust also liked a photo of the Queen beheading Tony Blair.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Tony Baloney

You can largely ignore all the bollocks on Twitter. I'm primarily a lurker and use it to check stuff and interact with people/organisations I wish to interact with re. sports, news channels etc. I'll stick the very odd reply in to a Tweet and quote tweet a few things of interest to the very few people I know on it. As O'Neil has indicated above, it is when you start tweeting your own opinions that the wheels will come off as everyone thinks their opinion is valid and therefore they must tell you your opinion is wrong. Best avoided.

seafoid

The world is polarised now. Everywhere is like the North of Ireland !

Uroblems don't get solved . People are divided. There is no solidarity. There is individuality and narcissism.  This is because of the economic system. The rich own everything. Division is why nothing gets fixed. They make more money in chaos. Climate change could be addressed but it won't be. Same with housing and healthcare reform.  It's all manufactured.

Twitter is just a reflection of this.

https://youtu.be/bWXazVhlyxQ
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

imtommygunn

Quote from: seafoid on January 04, 2022, 04:21:34 AM
The world is polarised now. Everywhere is like the North of Ireland !

This has struck me for a while. We were trendsetters ;D

Captain Scarlet

But sure when Trump was on Twitter there were news articles based off one of his tweets. The people who claimed to hate him amplified him all over the place.
I enjoy Twitter for the sports stuff and the odd silly video account. Pandas falling around like drunk people or dogs being great kinda stuff.
I really don't know how some people can devote so much time to it. Like all week there is a war going on over some lad who used HSE data for graphs and gave them a positive spin. Then these podcasters discovered he worked for Pfizer and may like FG so they jumped on him.
Then the other side attacked them for defending the lad who is now off Twitter. Ya know what...I tell a lie...that stuff amuses me as much as the Pandas!

Like you see 'activists' on there too who spend the day fighting with strangers who are clearly never going to admit that the other person has a valid point.

I know there can be some back and forth here, but like these are marathon sessions of rage.

But that being said shipping them off to an echo chamber where they can break off further and never hear any other viewpoint is dodgy.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.