Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 30, 2023, 09:59:17 AM
Quote from: Taylor on January 30, 2023, 09:22:06 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on January 29, 2023, 01:41:34 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on January 29, 2023, 12:48:24 PM
Quote from: APM on January 29, 2023, 12:31:18 PM
I find the Rafferty experiment  fascinating.  People compare it with Morgan and Beggan.  But it's different because Rafferty is a genuine county forward. 

I thought he done rightly last night, although he made three mistakes:
- Carried the ball into the tackle high up the pitch, that led to McCambridge's yellow and broke the 10 minutes of momentum we had after half time. It was the only time he was turned over, but thought maybe he got carried away with Armagh's dominance and decided to take a risk.  Hopefully he will learn from that. 
- One bad kickout. It was the only really bad one though and that wasn't bad going in that type of game.  He (and the Armagh half-back line / midfielders) coped better with Monaghan pushing up on our kickouts, than Began did when Armagh pushed up early in the second half. 
- The foul for the penalty which was a bit of a mad forwards tackle - would need to learn from it too. Wonder who they have as a goalkeeping coach. 

On the flipside, some of his forward play was excellent. He played like a centre half forward, passing some very accurate ball into the full forwards and used the ball very intelligently. Great point from play which must be crushing for the opposition. 

I think his shot stopping and positioning is subpar for an intercounty goalie. I'm not convinced over a season he will work out as an overall net positive or a negative but I'd agree it interesting to see happen.
For the amount of shots a keeper faces on average I'd be more than willing to accept that trade off with the distance he offers on kickouts and what he obviously offers as the extra man. He's as good a forward as there is around too!

Please - stop with that.

Was he even starting consistently on the Armagh team before he went in nets?

He wouldnt make the forward line on any of the top teams never mind saying he is as good a forward as there is around
Yes he was a very good forward for us, scored a few clinkers of points against Kildare from CHF in Croker a few years back. Would have always been considered one of the best forwards in the county for sure!! Had been set back with injury and had a year or two off the panel as far as I know but no doubt he is a superb forward!

He scored one point, albeit a superb long range point, having been brought on as a sub.
Played a lot in midfield for us also

Armagh18

Quote from: Taylor on January 30, 2023, 10:06:11 AM
I have no doubt he may be considered a good forward in your team - but to say he is as good a forward that is around is miles off the mark.

When fully fit he might not even make your starting line up.

He certainly wouldnt come close to starting on the Tyrone team
I rate him highly as a forward, you don't fair enough.

Sure I'd probably get a game for Tyrone these days the way they're going ;)

Taylor

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 30, 2023, 10:30:57 AM
I have no doubt he may be considered a good forward in your team - but to say he is as good a forward that is around is miles off the mark.

Early days yet..........lets see if you can retain your All Ireland Qualifier trophy again this year

Armagh18

Quote from: Taylor on January 30, 2023, 11:17:18 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on January 30, 2023, 10:30:57 AM

Early days yet..........lets see if you can retain your All Ireland Qualifier trophy again this year
Here's hoping ;)

Blowitupref

Jack O'Connor has claimed Donegal had a point wrongly awarded to them during their 0-13 to 1-9 Allianz Football League first round victory over Kerry.

The Kingdom boss was seen remonstrating with referee Liam Devenney after the final whistle in Ballybofey over Caolan McColgan's contentious 30th minute point which appeared to curl wide in the wind at the last second and ultimately decided a tight contest.

"Donegal had a point there that was blatantly wide. Everyone in the stand - ye saw that did ye?" O'Connor is quoted as saying by BBC NI.

"It was a yard wide. Holy Jaysus but anyway it is what it is. You don't get many breaks when you're coming to away grounds like this. Just disappointing because I felt we deserved a point out of it at minimum."

The All-Ireland winning manager continued: "That shouldn't be happening. The linesman said it was wide yet he goes with the umpire. That's an incredible decision in a Division 1 game.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

JoG2

Definitely looked wide, good angle from the camera on the terrace side looking toward the Villa Rose

J70

Haven't seen the camera shot(s) in question, but assuming it was actually wide, until they put Hawkeye in all these grounds, it's going to happen, especially on days with strong winds like yesterday. And they won't be installing Hawkeye everywhere.

That said, that score reduced it from a five point Kerry lead to a four point lead. In the first half.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: J70 on January 30, 2023, 12:23:30 PM
Haven't seen the camera shot(s) in question, but assuming it was actually wide, until they put Hawkeye in all these grounds, it's going to happen, especially on days with strong winds like yesterday. And they won't be installing Hawkeye everywhere.

That said, that score reduced it from a five point Kerry lead to a four point lead. In the first half.

Pedantic from O'Connor, one of Kerry's points in the 2nd half looked a bit dicey too. If I was O'Connor I'd have brought up one Donegal's points in the 2nd half where the player took more then 10 steps before before taking his point.

seafoid

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 30, 2023, 01:26:48 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 30, 2023, 12:23:30 PM

Pedantic from O'Connor, one of Kerry's points in the 2nd half looked a bit dicey too. If I was O'Connor I'd have brought up one Donegal's points in the 2nd half where the player took more then 10 steps before before taking his point.
He wants to generate some emotion for this week's training. That's where the béal bocht comes from

An Fhairche Abu

Fair play to the Donegal managers comments in reaction to O'Connor, the amount of marginal calls Kerry get from the referees year in year out and they are still moaning.

fearbrags

Ffs O'Connor thinking the ref should side with the linesman rather then umpire over a score
is ridiculous,

JoG2

Quote from: fearbrags on January 30, 2023, 01:48:50 PM
Ffs O'Connor thinking the ref should side with the linesman rather then umpire over a score
is ridiculous,

In fairness the umpire raising his flag was probably in the worst spot in the stadium to spot the wide. The linesman would have been in a much better position

lenny

Quote from: Blowitupref on January 30, 2023, 12:13:37 PM
Jack O'Connor has claimed Donegal had a point wrongly awarded to them during their 0-13 to 1-9 Allianz Football League first round victory over Kerry.

The Kingdom boss was seen remonstrating with referee Liam Devenney after the final whistle in Ballybofey over Caolan McColgan's contentious 30th minute point which appeared to curl wide in the wind at the last second and ultimately decided a tight contest.

"Donegal had a point there that was blatantly wide. Everyone in the stand - ye saw that did ye?" O'Connor is quoted as saying by BBC NI.

"It was a yard wide. Holy Jaysus but anyway it is what it is. You don't get many breaks when you're coming to away grounds like this. Just disappointing because I felt we deserved a point out of it at minimum."

The All-Ireland winning manager continued: "That shouldn't be happening. The linesman said it was wide yet he goes with the umpire. That's an incredible decision in a Division 1 game.

Agreed it looked wide. There has to be a replay!!

Ulster Frank

Some goal from Jimmy Carr for Mayo.

Ulster Frank

Quote from: 5times5times on January 28, 2023, 09:06:31 PM
Who else but O'connor. He's a cheat. Always has been. Always a diver and getting reds for cheap shots.

Premier League stuff from O'Connor.