Which of these changes would you agree with and in what order?

Started by sligoman2, September 12, 2018, 12:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of these changes would you agree with and in what order?

All kick outs must pass the 50 yard line
6 (15%)
2 points for a point kicked from play from outside the 50 yard line
6 (15%)
4 players must remain inside the opponents half at all time
2 (5%)
Maximum of 3 hand passes which must be followed by a footpass/kick
3 (7.5%)
Marks for balls caught over the head from a footpass in any area of the pitch
1 (2.5%)
Make 4 step rule 6 steps and enforce
1 (2.5%)
Once ball enters opponents half it can not be played back beyond the half way line
4 (10%)
Black card also includes a 10 minute sin bin before replacement player is allowed
5 (12.5%)
Allow the ball to be picked off the ground
0 (0%)
2 refs for all county games
2 (5%)
Use a clock that stops at the refs signal for any reason and game ends when ball goes out of bounds after time expires
6 (15%)
All of the above..
4 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 40

tippabu

6 steps, pick the ball off the ground and the clock would be the only ones id agree with. The rest have too many ramifications and negative reasons or just better options there to use them

LooseCannon

I'd find it harder to pick a ball straight off the ground. Unless of course I was on the ground. Chipping it up is much easier.

Syferus

Quote from: LooseCannon on September 12, 2018, 10:18:51 PM
I'd find it harder to pick a ball straight off the ground. Unless of course I was on the ground. Chipping it up is much easier.

The knees must be going so!

Trying to chip the ball up in traffic is one of the stupidest parts of the game and only serves to slow it down and benefit defensive teams where every half second gets them an extra body back in position.

tonto1888

Quote from: trailer on September 12, 2018, 09:57:00 PM
No rule changes needed. Championship restructured. Then teams will believe they can win and therefore will go out and compete to do so. Div 3 or 4 teams can't beat Div 1 or 2 teams without trying to close the game down and not concede. That simple change would dramatically change the quality of games served up.

Armagh beat Clare and have it a good rattle against Roscommon without doing that

sligoman2

No rule changes needed. Championship restructured. Then teams will believe they can win and therefore will go out and compete to do so. Div 3 or 4 teams can't beat Div 1 or 2 teams without trying to close the game down and not concede. That simple change would dramatically change the quality of games served up.

I don't think so.  Any team up by a few points nowadays go into keep ball mode regardless of their level or that of the opposition.  It's time for action before a large number of people turn away from playing and/or watching the game.  the suggestions above are some of the ideas on improving the spectacle.

On the question about the 2 points for 50 yards (45 meters), you could put an arc on the field or leave it at the existing 50 yard line.  Obviously the conversion percentage would be lower, hence the added point bonus for success.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Syferus

Quote from: tonto1888 on September 12, 2018, 10:24:50 PM

Armagh beat Clare and have it a good rattle against Roscommon without doing that

You mean the match where Roscommon led for more than the last 50 minutes? Fierce tight alright.

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on September 13, 2018, 11:22:45 AM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/paul-earley-football-needs-more-contests-for-the-ball-1.3624740?mode=amp
Interesting article

« The Football Review Committee started with that and decided to look to the public to get a steer and through the website we got 3,000 submissions from the public and players. The consensus was that they wanted to see high catching, long-range kicking and score-taking; they were the key ones."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jinxy

Exactly what I've been saying.
More contests = more manliness = more entertainment.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on September 13, 2018, 02:16:03 PM
Exactly what I've been saying.
More contests = more manliness = more entertainment.
High catching, long range kicking and score taking: bring back Boylan.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jinxy

I'd also favour the reintroduction of buck leppin' after a goal.

sligoman2

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Jinxy

Quote from: LooseCannon on September 12, 2018, 10:18:51 PM

You're actually right.
Watching the women yesterday, I'd have to say I would rather stick with our pick-up.
It's kind of awkward to pick it up straight off the ground as you nearly have to run slightly to one side of the ball and lean down instead of going straight through.
Regardless, it is a mile down the list of potential changes that would make an actual difference.

Manning18

Simplest and yet most effective suggestion not even included. Handpass has to be a closed fist only. Bye bye easily retaining possession through the tackle