Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

skeog

Sign of a good Coach or Manager when a few fellows not happy.

toby47

Don't know the in's and out's of it so can't comment on the exact situation.

Although I'm hearing of a lot of clubs having massive numbers at the minute. I think the general reason for this is fella's know it is a short 10 week season. With little holidays booked and less social outings at present, football becomes a lot more appealing rather than a 10/11 month season and 2-3 months tough 'pre season' training before a ball is even kicked.

While this is brilliant for smaller clubs, who normally have 20-25 men squads on their best attended night, might now have 30 odd fellas. Some of the bigger clubs will have 40 men usually available now bumped up to 50 or even more as I've heard in some cases.

Having 50 or more men turning up to training isn't ideal for any manager. Especially in a short season where there aren't many games available and no league football where you can give some of the weaker fella's a run of games. I'm not sure what happened in Dungiven but they were one of the clubs I heard with massive numbers and it sounds to me like Stephen O'Neill has picked a training panel to continue the season with. Perhaps sending the rest to the thirds team for football?

or else I'm just wrong and there's been a massive fallout  ::) ::)

5times5times

Quote from: paddyjohn on July 13, 2020, 11:10:06 AM
See a few Dungiven lads not happy with Stevie O'Neill...
Anyone care to explain whats going on here?  :-X

Mikhailov

Quote from: toby47 on July 14, 2020, 02:35:25 PM
Don't know the in's and out's of it so can't comment on the exact situation.

Although I'm hearing of a lot of clubs having massive numbers at the minute. I think the general reason for this is fella's know it is a short 10 week season. With little holidays booked and less social outings at present, football becomes a lot more appealing rather than a 10/11 month season and 2-3 months tough 'pre season' training before a ball is even kicked.

While this is brilliant for smaller clubs, who normally have 20-25 men squads on their best attended night, might now have 30 odd fellas. Some of the bigger clubs will have 40 men usually available now bumped up to 50 or even more as I've heard in some cases.

Having 50 or more men turning up to training isn't ideal for any manager. Especially in a short season where there aren't many games available and no league football where you can give some of the weaker fella's a run of games. I'm not sure what happened in Dungiven but they were one of the clubs I heard with massive numbers and it sounds to me like Stephen O'Neill has picked a training panel to continue the season with. Perhaps sending the rest to the thirds team for football?

or else I'm just wrong and there's been a massive fallout  ::) ::)

Sounds very logical Toby47. Some clubs here in Tyrone have the exact same issue with massive numbers and only have 1 championship game guaranteed. With big numbers like that I can imagine the difficulty it presents when trying to prepare a team for an important fixture - surely all the players involved understand that this is a very short compact season which is totally abnormal to us all. In my opinion the manager has to do what he feels is right to allow his team the best chance of victory

BuzzKill (Version II)

Are supporters allowed to attend the championship games?

screenexile

Going on what I've heard you pretty much nailed it there Toby.

It's not nice having to tell lads they can't train with the Senior team but at the same time how do you plan a session with that many people training??

The lack of anything else to do has definitely encouraged a few lads back playing which is great if we can get some of them to stay at it next year!

Hope things are ok for Banagher and Craigbane and they can take the necessary precautions to get the all clear for Games in the next few weeks!

oakleaflad

Craigbane, Banagher, Limavady, Drumsurn, Drum and Glack have all suspended activity. I believe it's just precautionary but you start to wonder could it impact Championship and is it all really worth it this season?

toby47

Quote from: oakleaflad on July 17, 2020, 11:00:28 AM
Craigbane, Banagher, Limavady, Drumsurn, Drum and Glack have all suspended activity. I believe it's just precautionary but you start to wonder could it impact Championship and is it all really worth it this season?

Foreglen & Magilligan too. 8 in total.

None have any confirmed cases within the club but as there has been a spike in the local are they have closed their facilities for a few days.

It will be a total sh*t show when teams start getting cases of it once the championship has already started. Some club, in some county will fall victim to it before the summer is over.

https://www.the42.ie/glanworth-gaa-club-5148224-Jul2020/

https://www.laoistoday.ie/2020/07/16/two-laois-gaa-clubs-caught-up-in-coronavirus-situation-after-carlow-player-tests-positive/

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: toby47 on July 17, 2020, 11:36:37 AM

None have any confirmed cases within the club but as there has been a spike in the local are they have closed their facilities for a few days.

It will be a total sh*t show when teams start getting cases of it once the championship has already started. Some club, in some county will fall victim to it before the summer is over.

https://www.laoistoday.ie/2020/07/16/two-laois-gaa-clubs-caught-up-in-coronavirus-situation-after-carlow-player-tests-positive/

Ardmore too.

oakleaflad

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 17, 2020, 12:31:01 PM
Quote from: toby47 on July 17, 2020, 11:36:37 AM

Ardmore too.
And Claudy now too, that's 10 clubs. Hopefully all precautionary but as Toby mentioned, there's a chance things could get messy if players and/or coaches test positive before or during Championship.

Cluborcountywhynotboth

From what I hear it's all precautions and most of the clubs are only closing until Monday. Tbh it all feels a little bit like just saving face because there has been a local 'outbreak', and when I say outbreak apparently it's all coming from one house party where they all sang karaoke using the same mic. Having said all that, it could be a sh*t show if a couple of clubs get players/managers with it.

JoG2

Quote from: Cluborcountywhynotboth on July 17, 2020, 04:03:24 PM
From what I hear it's all precautions and most of the clubs are only closing until Monday. Tbh it all feels a little bit like just saving face because there has been a local 'outbreak', and when I say outbreak apparently it's all coming from one house party where they all sang karaoke using the same mic. Having said all that, it could be a sh*t show if a couple of clubs get players/managers with it.

You've a Limavady man managing Drumsurn and an underage team in Limavady. You've a Drumsurn man down with Glack. You've Limavady playing Drum and Foreglen recently etc etc. And all this time you have players and management at close quarters during collective training sessions. Feels like clubs taking a very sensible approach until those getting tested get the all clear.

Cluborcountywhynotboth

Considering two of the clubs who have apparently shut down have phoned my own club looking for friendlies THIS WEEKEND, am not sure how sincere the announcements actually are. And if it was the case, how much will they know by Monday?? Obviously should a player actually test positive this will change but the announcements over the last few days in most cases were just to be seen to do something in my opinion.

JoG2

Quote from: Cluborcountywhynotboth on July 18, 2020, 07:26:40 PM
Considering two of the clubs who have apparently shut down have phoned my own club looking for friendlies THIS WEEKEND, am not sure how sincere the announcements actually are. And if it was the case, how much will they know by Monday?? Obviously should a player actually test positive this will change but the announcements over the last few days in most cases were just to be seen to do something in my opinion.

What 2 clubs? Zero problem naming and shaming if this is the case

How much will they know by Monday? ... There were players tested on Friday, so I'm sure they'll know by Monday.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: JoG2 on July 18, 2020, 08:30:43 PM
Quote from: Cluborcountywhynotboth on July 18, 2020, 07:26:40 PM

What 2 clubs? Zero problem naming and shaming if this is the case

How much will they know by Monday? ... There were players tested on Friday, so I'm sure they'll know by Monday.

Test results are issued within 24 houra