GAA Gold

Started by Whishtup, July 25, 2012, 08:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whishtup

Just watching Dublin Kerry 78.  Jaysus, you really realise the balls that Spillane talks when you watch this.  While I don't deny that these were great teams, all I can see are 3rd man tackles, pullin, draggin, ruthless late tackles, over-hand-passing and Kerry crowding the defence (blanket?)
A crude form of the game occasionally livened up by the likes of Spillane , Sheehy and O'Shea, thank God  it has developed into what it is now so we don't have to watch that goofy over-hand pass and people who are fit enough to move outside of their position.

5 Sams

I assume you're talking about GAA sna 80í. Great programme. Just realised/remembered how good John O'Driscoll was!!
The Aristocrat Years

rrhf

Fantastic programme. Tg4 is class so was frank mc guigan and eugene mc kenna

From the Bunker

Quote from: Whishtup on July 25, 2012, 08:57:34 PM
Just watching Dublin Kerry 78.  Jaysus, you really realise the balls that Spillane talks when you watch this.  While I don't deny that these were great teams, all I can see are 3rd man tackles, pullin, draggin, ruthless late tackles, over-hand-passing and Kerry crowding the defence (blanket?)
A crude form of the game occasionally livened up by the likes of Spillane , Sheehy and O'Shea, thank God  it has developed into what it is now so we don't have to watch that goofy over-hand pass and people who are fit enough to move outside of their position.

Yeah, in fairness to McStay on the Sunday Game on Sunday night he threw what you said back at Spillane, when he was going on about the 'Perfect Game' from his era. Spillanes head just sunk into his shoulders. I find it myself with teams and players, you remember them to be often alot better than they were. In a way it's like our summers, they always seemed better when we were younger.

rrhf

And now you look at the crushed empty beer cans round your feet and say I wish I could do this all again

thewobbler

I enjoyed watching that tonight.

The handpass/throw was a true blight on the game and the fact that nobody used any other method shows how easily bad habits can rule.

Football was also a different game then; it hadn't advanced into its own personality and was a strange mix of hurling and soccer. The long hopeful punts and clean catches of hurling, the volleys and slide tackling of soccer.

It is a bit questionable if football is actually a better game for evolving into the possession-led, tactical affair it has become, but it is probably a better game now.

fearglasmor

Quote from: thewobbler on July 25, 2012, 11:42:47 PM

Football was also a different game then; it hadn't advanced into its own personality and was a strange mix of hurling and soccer. The long hopeful punts and clean catches of hurling, the volleys and slide tackling of soccer.

It is a bit questionable if football is actually a better game for evolving into the possession-led, tactical affair it has become, but it is probably a better game now.

Find it hard to fathom that Wobbler. I would have said it had more of a personality of its own then. It was basically a game of 15 one on ones and even corner forwards were expected to be able t owin their own ball. I would say that Gaelic football is not better now but it is completely changed. I'd say it has lost personality by assuming possession tactics and men behind the ball tactics straight from soccer and rugby.

Fuzzman

It will of course never happen but wouldn't it be great if you had highlights of a game like that on and then in depth analysis from Spillane, Brolly and say Jarlath or even better Tohill.
People who will put it up to Spillane & ask them to compare their preconceived ideas of how good things were years ago.

rrhf

Whishtup

Quote from: fearglasmor on July 26, 2012, 05:32:27 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on July 25, 2012, 11:42:47 PM

Find it hard to fathom that Wobbler. I would have said it had more of a personality of its own then. It was basically a game of 15 one on ones and even corner forwards were expected to be able t owin their own ball. I would say that Gaelic football is not better now but it is completely changed. I'd say it has lost personality by assuming possession tactics and men behind the ball tactics straight from soccer and rugby.

Jaysus I don't know-the kick passing was woeful in that game and Kerry's defence was packed to the gills.  Poor oul Dublin could hardly kick it more than ten yards so they were trying to run in on goals all the time.  Interesting to see Spillane partaking in a bit of sportsmanship himself, throwing the ball back towards the Dublin goal to give himself time to run back. 
I suppose if you have two bad teams playin football now, they can be cracking matches-I would put these two teams in division 3 now.  Good to see them getting on with it after heavy tackles, though. 

Wildweasel74

That Kerry team was around now, with current fitness and tactics, they clean most teams round them, fitness back then was only half of what it is now but the games were very rough, with no bollix lying around trying to get men sent of like nowadays. i remember a blonde cornerback from Dublin lifting Barney Rock of the ground when he was lying down injured to hurry up with the game. Seriously i am fed up with men lying down getting men sent off, appeals and counter appeals when players are suspended and getting of on the writing of the offense or improper procedure used to suspend them. the football back then was not pretty but a hell of alot more honest than these days

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 26, 2012, 09:45:30 PM
That Kerry team was around now, with current fitness and tactics, they clean most teams round them, fitness back then was only half of what it is now but the games were very rough, with no bollix lying around trying to get men sent of like nowadays. i remember a blonde cornerback from Dublin lifting Barney Rock of the ground when he was lying down injured to hurry up with the game. Seriously i am fed up with men lying down getting men sent off, appeals and counter appeals when players are suspended and getting of on the writing of the offense or improper procedure used to suspend them. the football back then was not pretty but a hell of alot more honest than these days

+1

It's a pity there aren't more around these days like the late Mick Holden.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Denn Forever

The prequel.

Kerry vs Offaly 1980 Semi final.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Wildweasel74

Jacko scores a clinker of a goal in this one i think. Still think Matt Connor the best footballer there even been!!

Wildweasel74

some catch by the bomber there