Quit yer whingin'!

Started by Whishtup, February 15, 2012, 11:21:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whishtup

From RTE:
Wednesday, 15 February 2012 09:29

Páidí Ó Sé has criticised the Kerry players for what he feels is their recent habit of questioning referees' decisions, claiming it makes the players look like 'whingers'.

Ó Sé told The Examiner at the launch of his Tayto Longford Arms Comórtas Péile: "It's a thing I have studied very closely. It's the one characteristic I've noticed that has crept into Kerry football.

"It was never part of Kerry football, not when I was growing up or when I played or when I was manager.

"We're getting into this habit of questioning decisions and getting into arguments and portraying ourselves as whingers.

"It's something I'd like to see blocked out of our game. You train and prepare to do your job as a player - let the referee do his.

"They're over-reacting at the moment, questioning a lot of what the referee is doing.

"But he's not going to change his mind. They're doing themselves more harm than good."

Ó Sé continued: "I can certainly tell you Jack O'Connor is not telling them to crib at referees. Jack wouldn't be part of that, it's not in his make-up.

"It's only the players who must take it upon themselves to behave themselves. There's a duty to play well but there's also a duty to wear the jersey with respect and honour.

"We're proud of our football in Kerry and every day we take to the field with the green and gold jersey is a proud day for us.

"It's important to Kerry that this pride is developed and expressed on the field in the best way, not by giving out to the referee all of the time."

Whishtup

Should be taught at grass-roots all over the country, coupled with more competent refereeing.

AZOffaly

Well said Paidí, capturing the populist opinion again, as always :D

Hardy

"It's a thing I have studied very closely."  :)

johnpower

oh yes Paidi as ever with his finger on the pulse

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Hardy on February 15, 2012, 11:32:32 AM

Through one of these I reckon

AZOffaly

Keane

I don't get the derision this is being met with since it's something I've seen a tonne of people on this board make similar comments on.

He's obv 100% correct.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Keane on February 15, 2012, 11:49:12 AM
I don't get the derision this is being met with since it's something I've seen a tonne of people on this board make similar comments on.

He's obv 100% correct.

That's what most people are saying Keane. I think the 'asides' are more to do with how Paidi seems to know what's popular before he says it. (Ever since the Animals thing anyway) :)

Whishtup

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 15, 2012, 11:55:19 AM

He's obv 100% correct.

That's what most people are saying Keane. I think the 'asides' are more to do with how Paidi seems to know what's popular before he says it. (Ever since the Animals thing anyway) :)

It's still a fairly positive comment and the fact that a high-profile ex-player/manager has said it, takes it out of the 'populist opinion' domain and makes it a reality.  Couldn't be said often enough, in my opinion.  However, some of the refereeing is diabolical these days  so there is responsibility on both sides. 

Onlooker

Quote from: Whishtup on February 15, 2012, 12:03:23 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 15, 2012, 11:55:19 AM

He's obv 100% correct.

It's still a fairly positive comment and the fact that a high-profile ex-player/manager has said it, takes it out of the 'populist opinion' domain and makes it a reality.  Couldn't be said often enough, in my opinion.  However, some of the refereeing is diabolical these days  so there is responsibility on both sides.
You are spot on whishtup and fair play to Paidi for saying it.  I suspect that a lot of people in Kerry won't be too happy with him, but many will know that he is saying what needed to be said by a big Kerry name.  You are right about the referees too.  Some of them are just awful.

Keane

Think most Kerry people are beyond irritated by the on-field moaning, I doubt anyone will be sorry to see it brought into the eye of the media. The players ought to be embarrassed to do it, and stuff like this makes that more likely.

Sam2011

About time someone brought it to the media's attention. It is one of the most irritating things to watch.

Jinxy

Quote from: Hardy on February 15, 2012, 11:32:32 AM

I'm surprised he didn't add, "I was discussing this very matter the other day with my good friend Tom Cruise who is a very astute judge of such matters."
If you were any use you'd be playing.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Directed firmly at Donaghy................................................close culprits are Darren OSullivan and the Gooch