RTE on Freeview

Started by Lazer, December 13, 2010, 11:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

QuoteTo continue the service that we can get  now on Analogue in many parts of the 26.

Most people in the 26 who got analogue will continue to receive digital, except perhaps those on dodgy deflectors.
As the satellite service is free and has many more channels it isn't exactly a tragedy.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ziggysego

Quote from: armaghniac on May 30, 2012, 11:29:09 AM
QuoteTo continue the service that we can get  now on Analogue in many parts of the 26.

Most people in the 26 who got analogue will continue to receive digital, except perhaps those on dodgy deflectors.
As the satellite service is free and has many more channels it isn't exactly a tragedy.

I thought analogue was being switched off in the south in October too.
Testing Accessibility

johnneycool

Quote from: ziggysego on May 30, 2012, 11:44:53 AM

So did I and was going to lose my RTE channels via that lovely big aerial in my attic.

Stall the Bailer

Quote from: johnneycool on May 30, 2012, 12:08:32 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on May 30, 2012, 11:44:53 AM

So did I and was going to lose my RTE channels via that lovely big aerial in my attic.
It is being switched off. It is a digital service after the 24th.

armaghniac

QuoteIt is being switched off. It is a digital service after the 24th.

The point is that the Freeview is not at full power and RTÉ Saorview is restricted northwards until the changeover, so some people cannot now get digital that can get analogue. However, pretty much everyone with analogue, and a few more besides, will have terrestrial digital when the services go to full power.

giveherlong

I'm moving house in the next week (to directly under Carnmoney Hill Transmitter) and I contacted the Digital Switchover team and they told me I will be able to recieve RTE and TG4 via Freeview from October which is great

My problem is how to recieve RTE and TG4 between now and October?

I have bought a new HD TV etc but i haven't tried it out yet in the new place and was wondering if  this new digital signal would be available before October and if not; is there is any other way (apart from Sky/Virgin) of picking up these channels before October?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

armaghniac

TG4 is already broadcast in analogue i from Divis, is it not. Perhaps you could get this?
RTE might be a bigger problem. 

Ulick

Quote from: giveherlong on June 01, 2012, 04:24:09 PM
I'm moving house in the next week (to directly under Carnmoney Hill Transmitter) and I contacted the Digital Switchover team and they told me I will be able to recieve RTE and TG4 via Freeview from October which is great

My problem is how to recieve RTE and TG4 between now and October?

I have bought a new HD TV etc but i haven't tried it out yet in the new place and was wondering if  this new digital signal would be available before October and if not; is there is any other way (apart from Sky/Virgin) of picking up these channels before October?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Stuck a Saorsat dish up myself over the weekend. The whole rig cost about £100 for 80cm dish, cheap Xoro HD receiver & Ka band lnb, though I already had my own cabling. Got a second Ku band lnb for £5 and attached it to the same dish for the Freesat. RTE 2 HD is very impressive as are the BBC, ITV & C4 HD channels. 99% of Freesat is keek though. If doing it again I'd probably get a better receiver as the program guide on the Xoro is the worst I've ever seen but it's only to get me through till October. 

Never put a dish up before but it was all fairly simple in the end. Probably took about 4 hours from start to finish:

giveherlong

Ulick

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on June 05, 2012, 10:03:06 PM
Would be interesting to see how Saorsat reception there copes in the rain that is predicted later this week Ulick, RTÉNL are recommending a 100cm dish for reception in Belfast due to (a) running the transponder at a lower than maximum power and (b) to compensate for the bigger vulnerability to rain-fade on the 20GHz Ka band frequencies Saorsat uses rather than the 11-12GHz that Freesat/Sky use.

Raining quite a bit here this evening. Saorsat is coming through clear but some of the CBS and ITV stuff is breaking up on Freesat. The Xoro box doesn't give signal strength so it's difficult to estimate how far it's dropped. Need to fine tune the whole setup anyway as I only had the use of a cheap signal meter borrowed from a lad in work and I don't think I was using it properly. 

DuffleKing

My TV is awful thru the coat hanger. Is it possible to get it thru sky by tuning it in or something?

johnneycool

Quote from: DuffleKing on July 15, 2012, 11:11:40 AM

My TV is awful thru the coat hanger. Is it possible to get it thru sky by tuning it in or something?

Yeah,
    you need to change the shape to a four pronged star as MPEG-4 uses Quadrature Phase Shift Keying and the default triangle or even the straight rod used in many a student house is no longer capable of picking up these new fangled technologies.

I also find a wire hanger better than the wooden or plastic ones.

Gazzler

I'm hoping someone can help me.
I have just put a Saorview ready TV in the spare room,I was also trying to get Sky signal from my sky digibox in the sitting room working on the TV.

What I done was bring a cable from the Sky box and a cable from the Saorview aerial into the attic and and connected them to a Powerpass 2 way TV splitter and then from the powerpass I brought a cable to the a Sky eye and from that into the TV.

My problem is I can only get one signal working at once,If it is all connected as above I can only get the Saorview channels,when I disconnect the saorview cable going into the powerpass I can get the Sky channels and the use of the sky eye working perfectly,but then when I connect the Saorview cable back into the powerpass the signal from the sky goes again.

Sorry I know I'm rambling but I hope ye can get the jist of what I'm trying to say .I've been at this all day and it is wreaking my head.
I have it just left now with the Saorview channels which are working great.

Goldengreen

Quote from: Gazzler on July 18, 2012, 09:11:01 PM
I'm hoping someone can help me.
I have just put a Saorview ready TV in the spare room,I was also trying to get Sky signal from my sky digibox in the sitting room working on the TV.

What I done was bring a cable from the Sky box and a cable from the Saorview aerial into the attic and and connected them to a Powerpass 2 way TV splitter and then from the powerpass I brought a cable to the a Sky eye and from that into the TV.

My problem is I can only get one signal working at once,If it is all connected as above I can only get the Saorview channels,when I disconnect the saorview cable going into the powerpass I can get the Sky channels and the use of the sky eye working perfectly,but then when I connect the Saorview cable back into the powerpass the signal from the sky goes again.

Sorry I know I'm rambling but I hope ye can get the jist of what I'm trying to say .I've been at this all day and it is wreaking my head.
I have it just left now with the Saorview channels which are working great.

Think you would need to bring the Saorview cable down tot he SKy box and connect it in there, and then just have the one cable going from the Sky box to attic and then onwards to the spare TV.

WaterBoy

Little help please folks
Im in the market for a new HDTV which I will most likely be buying online and want to make sure that it is capable of picking up RTE with the built in Freeview, what should I be looking for in the specs to ensure it can do this?  Is it an MPEG4 tuner??

Im in the 6 counties btw incase it makes a difference.     
Mama says that foos-ball is the devil