Laois Senior Football Championship 2018

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, March 09, 2018, 12:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Draper

Daly may try find an esb bill for some cow shed in Knockmay.

Downtheroad

Quote from: Don Draper on September 30, 2018, 03:26:07 PM
Daly may try find an esb bill for some cow shed in Knockmay.
Normally I support the underdog but it's hard to have sympathy for Daly and Josephs.

Jd

God I got that very very wrong didn't I ..... Portlaoise on a Leinster mission maybe and will crush any Laois club in the way. Very hard to feel sorry for Joseph's though they have enough players without raiding smaller clubs.

Jd

Got both predictions badly wrong. Delighted for ODs a good solid rural club but I do fear for them in the final but hopefully they rise to the occasion

Chrimtain

I think its time the County Board facilitated the setting up of a second club in Portlaoise. Their domination of Laois football reflects Dublin's domination of Leinster. Its killing the game in the less populated areas. Either that or go with a modification of Sugrue's divisional teams, with Portlaoise on their own. That option however, will not alter the fact that hundreds of young lads in Portlaoise have to be giving up the game because they cannot break into teams in the Portlaoise club.

This is a real problem for Laois GAA, I hope the CB do not ignore it.

Having said all of that, I have to say that I have been an admirer of Portlaoise down through the years, and all of the magnificent footballers that they have produced.

Butch Cassidy

Anyone from the Ods putting their hand up for the county set up?

Laoiseabu

Portlaoise seem to be slicing teams apart with way more ease than I've ever seen before in Laois . Anyone else think this ? This is the most one sided championship I can remember in Laois .

BallyroanAbu

I would say this is the best conditioned Portlaoise team ever,  they are a different level to anything else in this County and the levels of commitment are mind blowing.  Malachy has created a culture with them that is simply different level to anything else, as I have said before their football in my opinion is their weakest aspect.  They will destroy O Dempsey's too,  I really think they are working harder than the rest of by a factor of two and it's showing.   It does help you have somewhere between 20-40 lads with the same mentality but the advantage is not raw talent more competition for places.  The fact is that everybody is under pressure for their spot.  The scary thing is if they can keep this mentality up they only need 1 or 2 new bodies every year to keep the system flowing.  I would be disappointed if they don't have a right go at the All Ireland Club.

Laoiseabu

Any chance of Bruno being back for the final ?

High Fielder

Josephs never really fancied it in my opinion. They haven't got many quality players these days, but they succumbed easily. Their backs were left horribly exposed to Portlaoise runners. No more than a training game for Portlaoise and I'm sure they won't be reading too deeply into it.

BallyroanAbbey

The reality is that Portlaoise are so far ahead of the rest that it could be reasonably argued that if you had a match between laois (minus portlaoise players) and portlaoise it would be at the very least competitive. after portlaoise every other team bar perhaps ballyfin and crettyard could make a final and i include courtwood in that next year too. At the end of the day the pick compared to the rest of the clubs is too big to catch and the wasted potential is too great for 1 club to support regardless of portlaoises best efforts, a second club (possibly a 3rd) in portlaoise who help solve these issues. On top of that the likes of mountmellick and it could be argued stradbally must produce more

SCFC

Zilch sympathy for Joseph's and Brian Daly. Delighted for them.
Well done O'Dempseys. Great weekend for that end of the county. Port minors, Courtwood inters, Annanough juniors all winning too.

Jd

Still a slight possibility of the top three championships held in an area of about 5 miles across. Good work going on in them 3 clubs. I fear for ODs in the final but am delighted for them getting there

High Fielder

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on September 30, 2018, 11:09:10 PM
I would say this is the best conditioned Portlaoise team ever,  they are a different level to anything else in this County and the levels of commitment are mind blowing.  Malachy has created a culture with them that is simply different level to anything else, as I have said before their football in my opinion is their weakest aspect.  They will destroy O Dempsey's too,  I really think they are working harder than the rest of by a factor of two and it's showing.   It does help you have somewhere between 20-40 lads with the same mentality but the advantage is not raw talent more competition for places.  The fact is that everybody is under pressure for their spot.  The scary thing is if they can keep this mentality up they only need 1 or 2 new bodies every year to keep the system flowing.  I would be disappointed if they don't have a right go at the All Ireland Club.

There are too many clubs in Laois for the size of the population we have. Portlaoise are only dominant in Laois. Outside of it, their record isn't great. Maybe instead of looking to weaken Portlaoise, clubs should concentrate on pooling their obviously thin resources and making themselves stronger. Case in point. Arles. Farcical situation. Joined at underage but flogging the dead horse at Senior. No benefit to Laois and no benefit to themselves.

welcomehome

I have followed portlaoise for years,they are only getting out of football ,what dey put in to it.They are such a commited bunch of players,the training they put in is unreal.The hunger they have year after year is unreal..and they have to be admired for that...