Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

If he did he would have seen plenty of brilliant football games but then again there are brilliant football league games every year.

Jinxy

Most entertaining league in years.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

NAG1

Quote from: Jinxy on March 27, 2014, 03:50:26 PM

He is not wrong about the Football but he is definitely wrong about the hurling and using the club final as his basis is just plain ridiculous for a so called educated guy.

BennyHarp

Quote from: NAG1 on March 27, 2014, 03:53:32 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on March 27, 2014, 03:50:26 PM

He is not wrong about the Football but he is definitely wrong about the hurling and using the club final as his basis is just plain ridiculous for a so called educated guy.

Its not like Joe to use flimsy evidence to make sweeping comments to gain maximum exposure. Would anyone have paid attention if he'd said the club football final was better than the hurling - no. So, he says magnificant gaelic football is now better than boring hurling. All of a sudden everyone is talking about him again. His analysis is entertaining but not really to be taken seriously.
That was never a square ball!!

Zulu

From the link he basically said the hurling final was poor and the football final was very good which is largely true, did he say anything else?

BennyHarp

Quote from: Zulu on March 27, 2014, 04:01:20 PM
From the link he basically said the hurling final was poor and the football final was very good which is largely true, did he say anything else?

"A golden era for football is upon us. The next time someone repeats the cliche that hurling is a better game that football. I will be ready for them. At last ..."

A bit sweeping for March time?
That was never a square ball!!

Jinxy

Prior to 2013, the football championship had, in general, been much more entertaining than the hurling for a number of years.
A couple of epic All-Ireland finals between KK and Tipp masked the truth.
The first time in years that the hurling championship lived up to the hype, the hurling nazis were very quick to look down their nose at football.

NAG1

Quote from: Jinxy on March 27, 2014, 04:05:28 PM
Prior to 2013, the football championship had, in general, been much more entertaining than the hurling for a number of years.
The first time in years that the hurling championship lived up to the hype, the hurling nazis were very quick to look down their nose at football.

Jinxy dont worry we can always look down our noses at an inferior game  ;)

imtommygunn

I do think the black card is going to have a big difference though come business end of championship.

Of course Joe will proclaim, or at least think, that he was reponsible for it but that's the sort of him.

Sure some of the hurling "purists" think last year's championship had less quality about it than previous years when you maybe didn't get so many high scoring games.

Mike Sheehy

What Joe Brolly has said in the past
http://gaeliclife.com/2014/03/joe-brolly-a-lament-for-the-gooch/

QuoteThere is a but about Colm. I said during 2012 he was, "The greatest first half footballer in the history of the game," which drove the Kerry ones crazy. I meant he was not a natural warrior leader, in the mould of Canavan, or Trevor Giles or O'Rourke. A snapshot. In the 2005 final, Canavan saw Gooch taking off to join the attack near the end, grabbed him and held him to the ground in a judo hold. Had it been the other way round wee Pete would have hit him so hard Gooch would have imagined he was surrounded. It was the genius versus the warrior genius. Canavan's personality meant that he refused to accept defeat, whereas Cooper often did. The difference between Federer and Nadal.

What Joe Brolly says today

Quote"Diarmuid Connolly has spent his short career being pulled down, body checked and spoiled. But opponents can't do that anymore.

"So on St Patrick's Day, the boy finally showed us what he has. Turns out he has everything, and then some more. He augmented his 2-5 from play (both feet and the fist) by catching two kick-outs and setting up 1-3.

"Everything that was great about football was on show as both teams gave it their all and were free to show their skills.

So when did blatant cheating go from being the sign of a "warrior" to the antithesis of all that is "great about football" ?

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on March 27, 2014, 04:05:28 PM
Jinxy

I think the board should sponsor you for a duel with Eddie Keher
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jinxy

As long as I get to choose the weapons i.e. an O'Neills size 5 at twenty paces.

Black Card

Even at school Joe sought and loved the attention, just now more people hear what he has to say.  Bet he looks in here and smiles!

CD

Quote from: Black Card on March 27, 2014, 05:56:42 PM
Even at school Joe sought and loved the attention, just now more people hear what he has to say.  Bet he looks in here and smiles!
I can't believe there are people coming on here and suggesting that Joe Brolly is a self-obsessed, self-serving, egotistical self-publicist whose favourite words in the whole world are 'Joe Brolly.' I'm only saying!!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Jinxy on March 27, 2014, 05:56:23 PM
As long as I get to choose the weapons i.e. an O'Neills size 5 at twenty paces.

Sure you have no problem sticking over a 65 in hurling. In ten 65's you'd not get one like wise a hurler knocking over a 45 in football, though I doubt you'd be able to knock over too many 45's ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea