Leinster U-20 Football Championship 2019

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, April 23, 2019, 02:01:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giovanni

Agree with High Fielder. There are plenty of really good footballers but for some reason Laois teams seem to have no clue what to do when we don't have the ball. This is a coaching issue.

Apart from that, I just thought we didn't really seem to be at it. With a few notable exceptions (like O Flynn, Kinsella and Whelan) we just didn't seem tuned in or fully concentrated.

The line did a poor job with the matchups too in my opinion.

And finally the referee. As HF says, it wasn't the reason for the loss but he was a total joke. Really hard to understand how lads like that get big matches to referee.

on the hop

Very good post highfielder, sums up how I felt. Massive chance missed with the strength of Dublin overage and the coming strength of kildare to win a final at this grade. We won't  get to many chances again. With so many underage next year, we will need them all especially Saunders but I hope someone seriously does a review of the year and tries to incorporate a strength and conditioning plan. I know a year might not make a huge difference but going forward he really need to up things. Dublin will always have massive teams but there was a noticeable difference tonight.

As underdogs we probably needed everything to go right, the ref certainly didn't help and favored them in most 50/50 decisions. I am amazed at him moving in frees, if he was getting abused that much then book them. The team gets frustrated along with the crowd and things start to unravel. Tactically we were shocking naive, we went zonal on there kick outs and it worked at times but when they went short the forwards should really have worked harder stopping coming out. They had no problems fouling far up the field. They had an out ball on the height distance on the wing, could we not have switched the wing back and wing forward just for the kick outs. They had us well scouted and problems we had with Westmeath in terms of the running game were not corrected. If Coffey vacates the wing to be the floating  link man there has to be a plan to counteract the space he leaves. He is either a centre forward or not. Jack Owens should have started, you either use dan or you don't.

There are lots of good players there, whether they develop into good seniors remains to be seen.

Downtheroad

I was disappointed with the result as I thought we would put up a much better show. Still think there are a lot of players with potential who will learn from tonight and progress to senior. I thought one of our problems was that we didn't track back and a number of scores came from mistakes at critical times. Now I'm been a bit petty here but what the hell is it with promising Laois teams and haircuts? Tonight we had every player with more or less the same haircut. Might have been more in their line to concentrate on the football. We had the same nonsense back in the 90s with the successful minor teams who underachieved at senior level by any yardstick. One of my abiding memories was all their flashy hairstyles that were doing the rounds when there were going well at underage. All I'm saying I would prefer substance to style.   

redsetanta

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Silkyskillssunshinee

Quote from: Downtheroad on July 20, 2019, 12:03:48 AM
I was disappointed with the result as I thought we would put up a much better show. Still think there are a lot of players with potential who will learn from tonight and progress to senior. I thought one of our problems was that we didn't track back and a number of scores came from mistakes at critical times. Now I'm been a bit petty here but what the hell is it with promising Laois teams and haircuts? Tonight we had every player with more or less the same haircut. Might have been more in their line to concentrate on the football. We had the same nonsense back in the 90s with the successful minor teams who underachieved at senior level by any yardstick. One of my abiding memories was all their flashy hairstyles that were doing the rounds when there were going well at underage. All I'm saying I would prefer substance to style.

Dublin had far better haircuts. That's why they're so successful. People think it's because of the money, population, structures etc..nope, it's the barbers that they get a trim in.

Joking aside, I thought we were fairly competitive in patches with Dublin, but as usual with Dublin teams, their pace, power and fitness gets them past opposition usually. Watching some of their players stride past Laois players without breaking a sweat was something to behold.

If we want to compete at the highest level in any age grade, we have to be able to match that. I believe we've performed better in recent years on that side if things, but we still have a way to go.

Lacey struggled at full-back on a top underage prospect in Archer. That's no slight on the Ballylinan man either, as he's been one of the best performers of the U-20 campaign. I would've likes go see Saunders there though. I think he's more of a natural full-back, whereas Lacey usually plays higher up the field, even at centre-back.

The corner-back Dowling is remarkable in that he's so small you dont think he'll be able to compete at this level, but he's so tigerish that he makes it work. It'll be interesting to see if he can nail down a starting place for Portlaoise in the championship, which is never easy.

I think Slevin hasn't had the best year so far. He was a player who stood out at minor level, but maybe with injuries he's just fallen back a bit. Hope he can get back to his best. Brophy is a livewire at wing-back, running up and down the field all day. Not sure he has the football in him to kick Senior for Laois next year. He has another year at U-20 level so let's see how he goes.

O'Flynn played decent on the first half but faded a bit in the second. He should be looking to start for the Senior team next year. Rob Tyrell and Eoin Dunne both showed flashes of brilliance at midfield, but both will need to become more mobile to compete at Division 2 next year.

Coffey had an off day, but he was exceptional the last day. While he can play a few poor passes at times, I like the way he always looks to kick early ball in. A sign of a good footballer. Barry had another day where things just didn't go right, but I saw enough of him at Senior this year to know he has what it takes

Doran at centre-forward kicked possibly the score of the match in the first half, but again he needs to become more mobile to play Senior. Whelan and Kinsella kicked some quality scores, and both should be on the Senior panel next year.

I counted only two or three balls were kicked into Dan McCormack. Why play him at all if you're not going to utilise him Strange.

Jack Owen's should've been starting after the Westmeath game in my opinion. He has too much talent to sit on the bench.

Hopefully a few of these kick on and make solid inter-county players. With Begley, Timmons, and a few others not getting any younger, we need some of these lads to step up. I have plenty if faith in a lot of them.

With regards to Billy O'Loughlin, I feel he came in for unfair criticism when he took the job. He seems to be a very honest bloke when it comes to speaking to the media, and tells it as it is. I think he's gotten the best out of this team, and they've played some brilliant football under him. I certainly wouldn't be against him staying on another year. The crop of players he'd have next year is arguably more talented, with a lot of this year's team still underage.

On yo club championship now. A lot of these lads will hopefully shine in that, along with a few more hidden gems and we can compete well in Division 2 next season. Laois are on the up lads.

GAA-SMART

Quote from: Downtheroad on July 20, 2019, 12:03:48 AM

Haircuts.. would ye get a life. They are young lads. They can have any haircut they want without getting a judgment on something like this. Youll find that many people have that certain style haircut, not just lads who have Laois jerseys.

Anyway where to now ? Are Donnacha, Billy, Surgue staying on?

Tony

Quote from: Downtheroad on July 20, 2019, 12:03:48 AMNow I'm been a bit petty here but what the hell is it with promising Laois teams and haircuts? Tonight we had every player with more or less the same haircut. Might have been more in their line to concentrate on the football. We had the same nonsense back in the 90s with the successful minor teams who underachieved at senior level by any yardstick. One of my abiding memories was all their flashy hairstyles that were doing the rounds when there were going well at underage. All I'm saying I would prefer substance to style.
What a dumb comment.

The PRO

Quote from: Downtheroad on July 20, 2019, 12:03:48 AMNow I'm been a bit petty here but what the hell is it with promising Laois teams and haircuts? Tonight we had every player with more or less the same haircut. Might have been more in their line to concentrate on the football. We had the same nonsense back in the 90s with the successful minor teams who underachieved at senior level by any yardstick. One of my abiding memories was all their flashy hairstyles that were doing the rounds when there were going well at underage. All I'm saying I would prefer substance to style.
Are you trying to win some kind of "dumbest post of the year" award? Near every 19 and 20 year old chap in the country has the same haircut. Including the Dublin team....

vetoldthe

There are lots of good young footballers in our County,
but after watching our seniors, u20, and minors this season
we are crying out for a top class coach,
when Eddie Brennan got the job over our hurlers the first thing
he did was to get a first class coach [Niall Cororan]
the improvement in that team in 8 or 9 months was hard to beleive
their skill level and first touch was much improved,
they were well drilled,
there tackling was very good,
and tracking back,
and got their match-ups good,
they worked their socks off,

So until we get top coaches over our footballers
we are going to stay at the same level and never get near the big teams.

thegreeenandgold

Quote from: vetoldthe on July 21, 2019, 07:49:59 PM
they were well drilled,
and tracking back,

Why did the Hurlers win something ?  They did pretty much the same at Senior Level as the footballers,  at U20 level and Minor the footballers were far more competitive.  Joe McDonagh is essentially Intermediate, I'd be happy to come back and listen to you next year when they back it up.

GAA-SMART

Quote from: vetoldthe on July 21, 2019, 07:49:59 PM
they were well drilled,
and tracking back,

The footballs have gotten and have got top class coaches.. with respect to the Hurlers, great what they achieved but lets see them next year but to compare the two now is farcical.. 20s Hurlers and Minors Hurlers gone well before their football counterparts.

Mad Mentor

It didn't take long for the hurling v football "who pissed higher up the wall?" debate to start.

Don Draper

Quote from: Mad Mentor on July 22, 2019, 08:15:32 AM
It didn't take long for the hurling v football "who pissed higher up the wall?" debate to start.
Plenty of lads will have been seething to see the hurlers get a bit of recognition over the past few weeks.

thegreeenandgold

Any different from a lot of the hurling side wanting football outlawed after a good year ?  Some of the tripe on here.  Hurlers are due their moment, but some people immediately want football gone. #Hurlingsnobs same racket as Sunday Game que Worlds greatest game etc

Don Draper

Quote from: thegreeenandgold on July 22, 2019, 09:55:43 AM
Any different from a lot of the hurling side wanting football outlawed after a good year ?  Some of the tripe on here.  Hurlers are due their moment, but some people immediately want football gone. #Hurlingsnobs same racket as Sunday Game que Worlds greatest game etc
Who wants football gone? Relax. No one is out to get you.

Unless someone really is out to get you. I dont know really. Someone could be I guess. Maybe watch out just in case.