Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southtyronegael

Quote from: square_ball on September 22, 2020, 09:15:41 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on September 22, 2020, 08:51:29 PM
One of our very few leaders. Can retire with great pride. If only we could bottle his character and give it to some of the other Tyrone players. Thanks big Colm!

Im sure you'll be one of the first to give credit to Mickey Harte as well STG. Developed him into an all star footballer when most were calling for him to be dropped off the squad years ago.
f**k all to do with Harte. Any eejit could manage lads like Colm cavanagh who had a top class attitude. Don't forget he has a minor all Ireland and club all Ireland with other managers.

Angelo

Quote from: southtyronegael on September 23, 2020, 10:50:59 AM
Quote from: square_ball on September 22, 2020, 09:15:41 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on September 22, 2020, 08:51:29 PM
One of our very few leaders. Can retire with great pride. If only we could bottle his character and give it to some of the other Tyrone players. Thanks big Colm!

Im sure you'll be one of the first to give credit to Mickey Harte as well STG. Developed him into an all star footballer when most were calling for him to be dropped off the squad years ago.
f**k all to do with Harte. Any eejit could manage lads like Colm cavanagh who had a top class attitude. Don't forget he has a minor all Ireland and club all Ireland with other managers.

Harte was getting lambasted for years for sticking with him, constant cries about him only being in the side because of who his brother was.

The manager kept faith with him and Colm delivered.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

square_ball

Exactly Angelo credit where credit is due to Harte regarding Colm Cavanagh. And obviously credit to Colm too would have been very easy to walk away himself with the stick he got.

Taylor

A great servant to the team down the years.
Overcame the stick he got from some idiot supporters to become a fulcrum of the team.

The timing is strange with the return of the intercounty game so soon mind you - he obviously hasnt been ramping up the training - if so it is the right decision.

Enjoy the retirement big man - owes us nothing

square_ball

Quote from: Taylor on September 23, 2020, 11:13:44 AM
A great servant to the team down the years.
Overcame the stick he got from some idiot supporters to become a fulcrum of the team.

The timing is strange with the return of the intercounty game so soon mind you - he obviously hasnt been ramping up the training - if so it is the right decision.

Enjoy the retirement big man - owes us nothing

Interview with him in the Irish news today. Injury seems to be the main reason. Probably safe to assume he wouldn't have been fit to play much part this year so maybe announcing retirement now to get it over and done with.

Angelo

What's our best midfield pairing now.

At the minute we have:

Kennedy
Kilpatrick
R Donnelly
McDonnell
C McCann
McClure

You have the likes of M Donnelly and Hampsey who have played there in the past but they are better utilised elsewhere, as McKenna will be when he returns.

Richie Donnelly is the best footballer of that lot but I do worry about his pace in a big match in Croke Park. Kennedy had an ok year last time around, it was his first year at intercounty football so you have to show patience with him. Kilpatrick is very inexperienced as well. I don't think McClure or McCann are up to holding down a regular place either and I'd put McDonnell in the same bracket there. Grugan had left the panel I think but he really underwhelmed in the opportunities he was given.

In light of this I think Harte should probably be looking to bring Paudie McNulty back into the squad.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Angelo on September 23, 2020, 12:09:23 PM

At the minute we have:

Kennedy
Kilpatrick
R Donnelly
McDonnell
C McCann
McClure

You have the likes of M Donnelly and Hampsey who have played there in the past but they are better utilised elsewhere, as McKenna will be when he returns.

Richie Donnelly is the best footballer of that lot but I do worry about his pace in a big match in Croke Park. Kennedy had an ok year last time around, it was his first year at intercounty football so you have to show patience with him. Kilpatrick is very inexperienced as well. I don't think McClure or McCann are up to holding down a regular place either and I'd put McDonnell in the same bracket there. Grugan had left the panel I think but he really underwhelmed in the opportunities he was given.

In light of this I think Harte should probably be looking to bring Paudie McNulty back into the squad.

That ship has sailed.

Angelo

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on September 23, 2020, 12:18:20 PM

At the minute we have:

Kennedy
Kilpatrick
R Donnelly
McDonnell
C McCann
McClure

That ship has sailed.

In what way?

Are there better midfielders in the county available right now than McNulty? He's 28/29?

Coney and Grugan are two examples of players who were given a second chance, McCurry and Bradley have returned to the squad after a year out.

As far as I know McNulty stepped away from the panel as he wanted to sort out a back issue.

GetOverTheBar

He won't go back to Tyrone. Maybe best to look at other options.

Angelo

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on September 23, 2020, 12:35:00 PM
He won't go back to Tyrone. Maybe best to look at other options.

All Harte can do is ask the question.

There's not many better midfielders in Tyrone at present.

GetOverTheBar

True, but a large part of the problem in these type of situations is that Harte doesn't bother to pick up the phone himself. Gavin Devlin does that type of bridgebuilding.

Under Lights

Colm straight onto RTE radio last night.

Pearse Blue

I think going forward our midfield will be Kennedy and Kilpatrick, with a mix of Richie Donnelly every now and again.

Kilpatrick and Kennedy at the minute seems like a very attacking pairing so throw them in together now and coach them how to make it work.

As for the rest, McDonnell, McCann etc. They've had their chances and have never excelled. Time for them to move on. McCann more so than McDonnell to be fair.

Paudie McNulty never got a clean run at county level, can't see him returning, but if he did he would be the first option.

Angelo

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on September 23, 2020, 12:43:04 PM
True, but a large part of the problem in these type of situations is that Harte doesn't bother to pick up the phone himself. Gavin Devlin does that type of bridgebuilding.

I don't think there was any bad fallout. McNulty was in and out of the team, was struggling with a back injury and took a year out to look after it.

He's after an excellent season with club, our main man in midfield has stepped away so there is a need for Tyrone to want him back and I'm sure McNulty would like to give it another go. I'd imagine if he's asked back in then he'd take the opportunity. There is a view that recalling someone like McNulty will stop the development of a few younger players but I think right now there are probably few better midfielders in Tyrone than him.

Keyboard Warrior

At the minute we have:

Kennedy
Kilpatrick
R Donnelly
McDonnell
C McCann
McClure