Digital Radio: Is it working?

Started by Denn Forever, December 08, 2008, 05:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Was wondering if a Digital radio would be a good Chtristmas present.  I know RTE are rolling out Digital radio, what the coverage like?  Also would it receive the BBC stations.  I'm based near Cavan town.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

ziggysego

Internet Radio might be better. Pick up all channels, everywhere.
Testing Accessibility

Denn Forever

Quote from: ziggysego on December 08, 2008, 05:07:00 PM
Internet Radio might be better. Pick up all channels, everywhere.

How well it would work would bepend on the Internet connection quality.  At time variable here.  Are there stand alone radios with internet capability?
means what he says...

ziggysego

Yeah, you need an Internet connection. Not sure what speed is requirement. It's a stand alone radio though.

Heading off now, but I'll be back later tonight. I'll see what I can find out for you when I get back.
Testing Accessibility

Billys Boots

Go on DF, buy the feckin telly - you know you want to.  :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on December 09, 2008, 12:47:36 AM
Quote from: Denn Forever on December 08, 2008, 05:05:07 PM
Was wondering if a Digital radio would be a good Chtristmas present.  I know RTE are rolling out Digital radio, what the coverage like?  Also would it receive the BBC stations.  I'm based near Cavan town.
A DAB Radio? I'd hold off a bit. RTÉ have held off rolling our the transmitters for it in the meantime. Not sure exactly what coverage is like in Cavan town for it, nor for the BBC & Score NI stations - not that there's a lot of additional choice.

If you can go for it, look into getting a wi-fi radio if you have wireless internet connection at home.
Yeah, the wi-fi seems to be ok, from what I've listened to of it. Unfortunately getting Five Live on it is another matter entirely. Damn that border.

T O Hare

Quote from: Owenmoresider on December 09, 2008, 01:24:11 AM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on December 09, 2008, 12:47:36 AM
Quote from: Denn Forever on December 08, 2008, 05:05:07 PM
A DAB Radio? I'd hold off a bit. RTÉ have held off rolling our the transmitters for it in the meantime. Not sure exactly what coverage is like in Cavan town for it, nor for the BBC & Score NI stations - not that there's a lot of additional choice.

If you can go for it, look into getting a wi-fi radio if you have wireless internet connection at home.
Yeah, the wi-fi seems to be ok, from what I've listened to of it. Unfortunately getting Five Live on it is another matter entirely. Damn that border.

five live pisses me off, why cant it be on FM!!!!!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Shamrock Shore

Only RTE is available on DAB at the moment. The others were booted off 2 weeks ago so Newstalk, Today FM etc are DABless until the New Year.

If I were you I would buy a DAB/Internet radio either on ebay or somewhere like ]http://www.revo.co.uk/]

Here is a dedicated site but unfortunately there would seem to be nobody at home:

]http://www.digitalradio.ie/]

Denn Forever

Thanks one and all.  I reckon I'll hold back.

And buy local as we all should in these times that no one told us would happen (well they did but were shouted down) :o.
means what he says...

Uladh

Digital radio great over here - i virtually hardly watch tv any more - but most stations cannot be picked up at home. its impossible to get an answer from bbc about when they plan to address that