LENT

Started by wherefromreferee?, January 27, 2009, 12:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wherefromreferee?

Reading that other thread 'anybody else on here not drink?' or something close to that and thought maybe I'd try and give up the drink for lent - haven't tried it before.

When does Lent start?  Does anyone even 'do lent' anymore?  If so, what'll you try and give up?

Just did a quick google - its a month away yet.  Ash Wednesday is 25th February.  Gives me a month to think of something else  :D
In your Endo!

maggie

Always say i'll try and give up something for Lent-usually have it broke on the next day.
Have zero willpower.

Quagmire

I'm off it 4 weeks today though I'm getting some quare looks about the place as if to say what are you at??  :D I was at a party on saturdy night and I had to tell people my glass of water was vodka and white so they'd give my head peace!

I've never went this long before since I was about 17 and am contemplating taking Lent in too now, I'd probably be better off not cursing though, I'll fell like I'm cheating if I do!!  :P

Gnevin

A load of religious nonsense.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

SidelineKick

"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

ziggysego

Religious nonsense or not, it's character building. I usually go off alcohol, crisps, chocolate, chips, biscuits, cheese, fizzy drinks and sweets. Difficult, but good for the soul. I also keep it on Sundays, unlike some.
Testing Accessibility

Hank Everlast

Quote from: ziggysego on January 27, 2009, 12:51:23 PM
Religious nonsense or not, it's character building. I usually go off alcohol, crisps, chocolate, chips, biscuits, cheese, fizzy drinks and sweets. Difficult, but good for the soul. I also keep it on Sundays, unlike some.

???

Im off the drink, smokes and takeaways since the new year.... its not bin easy, goin for a drink this weekend so that will be the big tester to see if i can stay off the bines wen ive a pint in my hand!!

Tony Baloney

The weight would drop off me if I gave up all that! Maybe a Lenten fast is just what I need. Although in accordance with the Bible you get a day off on St. Patrick's Day  ;)

Maguire01

It's probably good for the body if that's what you're giving up, but how is it character building or good for the soul?

Quagmire

If something is a challenge to do and you complete it, like say going off the sauce for Lent, or running a marathon, could that not be seen as character building? Especially if you have to excercise self-discipline and make sacrafices to do it. Granted it depends on the individual, going off drink for a while could be nothing to one person but a complete torture for someone else if they're social beings. Depends on our lifestyles I suppose?

ziggysego

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 27, 2009, 01:22:52 PM
The weight would drop off me if I gave up all that! Maybe a Lenten fast is just what I need. Although in accordance with the Bible you get a day off on St. Patrick's Day  ;)

I looooooooooooooooove cheese :)

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 27, 2009, 01:26:22 PM
It's probably good for the body if that's what you're giving up, but how is it character building or good for the soul?

Will power and self control.
Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 27, 2009, 01:22:52 PM

Flys off me. Piles back on again though  :D
Testing Accessibility

amallon

I wouldn't be big up on the whole religion side of it but I went off the beer for lent last year.  I drove five or so Sat nights over the lent and each one of them was tough going and your head does get wrecked.  Upstairs in the canal court of a Saturday night is no place for sober people.  It does no harm to detox in this way, I might do it this year again.

Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

SidelineKick

In my opinion if somebody had any kind of will power they wouldn't have to wait until a "set date" to decide to go off soemthing.  Why not give it up now?
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

downgirl

My friend last year went off chocolate but she said ah sure Sundays are off so she was horsing it into her on Sundays...what's the point of doing it until easter if you can just eat loads on Sundays??!!