Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6th sam

Quote from: foxcommander on January 13, 2018, 04:42:32 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on January 13, 2018, 04:39:08 PM
The fact that he had a Kingsmill loaf on his head is the issue. Regardless of the anniversary it's still contentious. He, and thousands of others, knows the connection between the name of the loaf and the massacre. This thing about him not meaning any offence is nonsense as he is fully aware of the link.

If the name of the loaf of bread is offensive surely it shouldn't be on the shelves in Northern Ireland if that's the first image that springs to mind when you're buying it??

I'd like a loaf of protestant workmen massacre please.  Get the f**king name changed.

How can we possibly avoid all potential connections with incidents in the conflict . Do we ask U2 to change the name of "Sunday Bloody Sunday ". Do we change the name of the song "Enniskillen fusiliers", do we change the name of the "Shankill Rd", or "Sean Graham's" bookies, and not mention any of these names in case we might offend ?
Or do we behave with maturity?
I think there's a very clear distinction between :
1.using names in a normal fashion , or inadvertently,
or 2. Abusing those same names to cause offence.

Mcilduff's sense of humour/class clown persona is well known , and to date had not caused offence. There is little doubt that the Mcilduff/Kingsmill scenario was a dreadfully unfortunate coincidence . It only became contentious when political opponents such as Jim Allister ( to be expected) and McCrossan whose intervention appeared opportunistic , jumped in.

Syferus

Quote from: 6th sam on January 13, 2018, 05:15:27 PM
The fact that he had a Kingsmill loaf on his head is the issue. Regardless of the anniversary it's still contentious. He, and thousands of others, knows the connection between the name of the loaf and the massacre. This thing about him not meaning any offence is nonsense as he is fully aware of the link.

If the name of the loaf of bread is offensive surely it shouldn't be on the shelves in Northern Ireland if that's the first image that springs to mind when you're buying it??

I'd like a loaf of protestant workmen massacre please.  Get the f**king name changed.

How can we possibly avoid all potential connections with incidents in the conflict . Do we ask U2 to change the names of "Sunday Bloody Sunday ". Do we change the name of the song Enniskillen fusiliers, do we change the name of the shankill Rd, or Sean Graham's bookies, and not mention any of these names in case we might offend ?
I think there's a very clear distinction between 1.using names in a normal fashion , or inadvertently, or 2. Abusing those same names to cause offence.

Mcilduff's sense of humour/class clown persona is well known , and to date had not caused offence, there is little doubt that the Kingsmill issue was a dreadfully unfortunate coincidence . It only became contentious when political opponents such as Jim Allister ( to be expected) and McCrossan whose intervention appeared opportunistic .

It's not hard to make an issue out of someone putting a loaf of Kingsmill bread on his head on the 42nd anniversary of the Kingsmill massacre. Stop trying to shift some of the blame to the unionists.

6th sam

Quote from: Syferus on January 13, 2018, 05:21:59 PM
Quote from: 6th sam on January 13, 2018, 05:15:27 PM

How can we possibly avoid all potential connections with incidents in the conflict . Do we ask U2 to change the names of "Sunday Bloody Sunday ". Do we change the name of the song Enniskillen fusiliers, do we change the name of the shankill Rd, or Sean Graham's bookies, and not mention any of these names in case we might offend ?
I think there's a very clear distinction between 1.using names in a normal fashion , or inadvertently, or 2. Abusing those same names to cause offence.

Mcilduff's sense of humour/class clown persona is well known , and to date had not caused offence, there is little doubt that the Kingsmill issue was a dreadfully unfortunate coincidence . It only became contentious when political opponents such as Jim Allister ( to be expected) and McCrossan whose intervention appeared opportunistic .

It's not hard to make an issue out of someone putting a loaf of Kingsmill bread on his head on the 42nd anniversary of the Kingsmill massacre. Stop trying to shift some of the blame to the unionists.

Have you actually read these posts?
I'm not an apologist for McIlduff or his party. I'm just dealing with fact and giving a clear rationale for his off-the-cuff actions , and the calculated actions  of  opponents ( unionist & nationalist) who have a vested interest in demonising McIlduff.
Please don't confuse me with others on this board, including yourself , who have turned this unfortunate incident into an irrelevant partitionist North v South cat fight .

Facts:
Kingsmill is a popular brand which most people don't associate with the Kingsmills massacre
He has history of putting other items on his head
He has no history of mocking victims
Most people don't know the date of anniversaries in the North( eg I am close to Loughinisland and I don't know the date of the anniversary, much to my shame)
Those most vocally critical are those with most to gain

A just and appropriate response to this incident , would have been taking the opportunity to reflect on the dreadful pain inflicted on families in the conflict, and actively support victims , rather than stir the pot for political expediency .

armaghniac

The fact that he had a Kingsmill loaf on his head is the issue. Regardless of the anniversary it's still contentious. He, and thousands of others, knows the connection between the name of the loaf and the massacre.

This thing about him not meaning any offence is nonsense as he is fully aware of the link. He should've used his loaf (pun intended) and picked a different loaf. Or better still, cop on.

Kingsmill may be a popular brand, but McElduff should have had more sense than to tweet anything about Kingsmill given his previous involvement in controversy re the Raymond McCreesh park naming, given that a large part of the objection in that case is because McCreesh had a weapon used in Kingsmills. Likewise having done this, he should stay out of the way for the next 3 months

And as for having political sense, he was pictured at work in the SF office in Omagh after he had been suspended, which suggests that someone has no political sense.

If you are going to be a political representative then you must accept that you are in the public eye, and you should not be acting the clown in public. If you want to send your daughter a picture of you with a loaf on your head then use Whatsapp, not Twitter. Likewise having created this mess he should stay out of the way entirely for 3 months, go and walk the Camino or something.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

longballin

He probably grabbed a loaf and stuck it on his head rather than read the brand. Makes no sense at all that he would make fun about Kingsmill massacre as its not in his character and if he did was obvious what the uproar after would be...

seafoid

"He has a history of putting things on his head"

He is a public figure. He should drop the childishness
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

longballin

Quote from: seafoid on January 13, 2018, 07:26:18 PM

can't disgree with that but a far cry from making joke about Kingsmill massacre

6th sam

Quote from: longballin on January 13, 2018, 07:30:30 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 13, 2018, 07:26:18 PM

can't disgree with that but a far cry from making joke about Kingsmill massacre

Absolutely agree re the  behaviour of public representatives .
I dont get the humour, or the need to share it outside of his family .
However , the childishness of his actions is not what he was pilloried for .

Owen Brannigan

Can anyone explain how Bea Worton, mother of a Kingsmills victim, has been receiving prank calls referring to Kingsmill bread in the period before Christmas?  Is it evidence of a sick joke doing the rounds in private and dog whistled by McElduff?

Mrs Worton is quoted in Belfast Telegraph:

"I have had calls asking for 10 slices of Kingsmill bread for toasting - that must have been last October or November," she revealed.

"I have also had calls where they are laughing loudly, saying: 'You think you are smart and you will do harm to us'.

"In others they laugh hysterically when I pick up the phone and I know what's coming, so I put the phone down.

"It's very hurtful, it's just distasteful. I would say I have had nine or 10 calls in all, up to just before Christmas.

"The fact that they are doing this to me makes me think that they are hurting, that they have something on their conscience which is making them try to hurt me, but I won't let them do that."

trueblue1234

Owen are you trying to connect the calls to Barry McElduff in someway? Seriously?

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

tonto1888

Quote from: Rossfan on January 13, 2018, 12:47:55 AM
Quote from: Carmen Stateside on January 13, 2018, 12:21:59 AM
Quote from: Syferus on January 13, 2018, 12:17:42 AM
Anyone who buys the 'he's too dumb to have done it on purpsoe' excuse must believe McElduff has the sort of incredible luck that would be better served in a bookmakers than a parliamentary office.

No one is buying that excuse lads.

Is it just me or are all westies clueless ! between Syfillis and Rossfan i don't know which is the biggest tit!
All "Westies" have a level of brains ( excent nerdy geeky Syfīn  of course) and  humour which seems  to be far beyond the ken of Nordies .

Are you gonna answer my question about shame? I'm not that bothered about who you vote for to be honest. None of my business but I'm interested in your view on when it's ok to not feel shame over atrocities

tonto1888

Quote from: Rossfan on January 13, 2018, 11:04:41 AM
I'd agree with Tony but Paisley disgusting remarks happened years ago and he's now dead.
Barry's idiocy happened last week so is all the rage.
3 months time it will be forgotten.
Meanwhile John O'Dowd was condemning Kingsmill out of hand the other night and Snarlene is in Killarney today to make some speech or other.
Choreography or coincidences?

There you go with time again. Does Paisleys remarks being so long time ago make them any less hurtful?

6th sam

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on January 13, 2018, 09:43:37 PM
Can anyone explain how Bea Worton, mother of a Kingsmills victim, has been receiving prank calls referring to Kingsmill bread in the period before Christmas?  Is it evidence of a sick joke doing the rounds in private and dog whistled by McElduff?

Mrs Worton is quoted in Belfast Telegraph:

"I have had calls asking for 10 slices of Kingsmill bread for toasting - that must have been last October or November," she revealed.

"I have also had calls where they are laughing loudly, saying: 'You think you are smart and you will do harm to us'.

"In others they laugh hysterically when I pick up the phone and I know what's coming, so I put the phone down.

"It's very hurtful, it's just distasteful. I would say I have had nine or 10 calls in all, up to just before Christmas.

"The fact that they are doing this to me makes me think that they are hurting, that they have something on their conscience which is making them try to hurt me, but I won't let them do that."

Absolutely Dreadful.
The thought that anyone would want to impact further pain on those who have suffered most, is more evidence of our dysfunctional,  pathological society. The tragic victims of this week's nonsense are primarily  the Kingsmills  families who deserve nothing but sympathy , protection , and support .

Syferus

Quote from: tonto1888 on January 13, 2018, 10:23:54 PM
I'd agree with Tony but Paisley disgusting remarks happened years ago and he's now dead.
Meanwhile John O'Dowd was condemning Kingsmill out of hand the other night and Snarlene is in Killarney today to make some speech or other.

There you go with time again. Does Paisleys remarks being so long time ago make them any less hurtful?

People rightly laugh at those in the north who attempt whataboutry when their 'team' fĂșcks up. Only those who have party membership buy that sort of logical fallacy as being relevant or a mitigating factor.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Syferus on January 13, 2018, 10:45:33 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on January 13, 2018, 10:23:54 PM

People rightly laugh at those in the north who attempt whataboutry when their 'team' fĂșcks up. Only those who have party membership buy that sort of logical fallacy as being relevant or a mitigating factor.
It's good to be able to laugh. I find the hypocrites from the south nausating on this thread.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit