Wasps

Started by CD, August 01, 2014, 06:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerlik

Hmmmph, yiz have nothing to fear from our wee European wasp.  Take yourself to the forests and mountains of Japan and have a run in with our wee buzzers with their big cousins. 

The Asian hornet is a vicious bastard which kills people.  They usually hunt in wee groups and God help anything/anyone that pisses them off.

To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Aristo 60

Quote from: Hardy on August 03, 2014, 02:52:53 PM
Cork people pronounce "wasp" to rhyme with "grasp", not rhyming with the "gosp" in "gospel", as normal people do.

I'd have put that in the "Hmmm, that's interesting" thread but I didn't think it was interesting enough. I think it's just about interesting enough for here. Maybe not. Let me know.

I think some Down folk are the same.

My uncle used to tell tales of a man with a lisp who was always the first to see a wasp.

'Mind that whaasspppp' he'd have said.

CD

The wasp trap worked a treat - they're fighting to get into it and drowning in huge numbers - just need to make about ten more of them! The wee bleeders are everywhere - have to keep every window in the house closed at the moment. The nest appears to be in a neighbour's garden. loads of elderly folk around here who don't use their gardens so I suppose there are nests all over the shop. Annoying for those of us who have kids!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Puckoon

Is it possible to get any sort of screening for doors and windows in Ireland - similar to what we'd have here?

The Iceman

Most windows in ireland are hinged Puck which makes it hard to fit screens. US windows are nearly always sliders so screens can be fitted easily.
Our ones brought home one of those magnetic strip screen doors and use it on the back door at home at times.
The only option is to retro fit the material yourself to the window
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

J70

If the odd wasp makes you nervous, just know that it could be worse. ..

Schmidt sting pain scale

http://scienceblogs.com/retrospectacle/2007/05/16/schmidt-pain-index-which-sting/

Ulick

Got stung earlier. Wasn't even trying to shoo it or anything. Just minding my own business having a cup of tea and the wee f**k got me on the knuckle.

angermanagement

Wheelie bin out the back is full of them. Whats the best way to get rid ? Doubt the bin man will lift the bin next week if there's hundreds of them floating about.

As CD said earlier a nightmare if you have young kids.

Tabloid Tim

Quote from: Ulick on August 07, 2014, 04:51:08 PM
Got stung earlier. Wasn't even trying to shoo it or anything. Just minding my own business having a cup of tea and the wee f**k got me on the knuckle.

There may have been under lying issues on this one Ulick, it's probably nothing you've done, I would imagine Gary The Wasp has had a rough upbringing and is probably rebelling against the hive.

illdecide

Quote from: Ulick on August 07, 2014, 04:51:08 PM

Maybe he didn't like Fenians...lol ;)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on August 16, 2019, 09:14:02 PM
Fcukin b**tards!
A lot of the hoors about this year. Wee fella got stung on Sunday

Rich Ricci

Serious amount of them around ours at the moment. Had 8 of them on the bathroom window at one time today. Luckily they aren't the quickest and are easily killed.

redzone

Rich Ricci

Nothing cowardly about it. Wasps are a pest and a nuisance. Just let the house stay infested with them? Is it cowardly to set mouse traps?

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: Rich Ricci on August 16, 2019, 10:01:12 PM
Nothing cowardly about it. Wasps are a pest and a nuisance. Just let the house stay infested with them? Is it cowardly to set mouse traps?

For wasps??