Apple TV, External Hard Drives, Media Players, etc...

Started by mc_grens, November 27, 2010, 10:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc_grens

I'm a huge movie fan, and I love to buy DVD's, Blu Rays etc. I like to watch the extras and all that stuff when I'm done as I find alot of them really interesting.

BUT

I know that downloading is the future, and that x-box, Apple, etc. are well on the road already (along with manys an ould dodgy fella). I have two questions for those in the know:

Am I better off with a Hard drive and a media player, or something like apple TV?

If I were to download movies from the legitimate services like iTunes would I get all of the extras like commentaries, etc.

joebloggs

Best option is probably a networked hard drive that can always be left on and connected to most devices. Then you get plenty of storage and its not device dependent. After that a htpc is probably your best bet to connect to it. Limits all depend on your budget.

gerry

i had this before my daughter bounced it of the ground, twas a great bit of kit
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Goldengreen

Havea westren digital media player myself, you just plug in your usb or a usb hard disk and off you go. Plays load of formats and not come across one it cant play yet. Cant recommend it enough

mc_grens

Quote from: Goldengreen on November 28, 2010, 03:28:50 PM
Havea westren digital media player myself, you just plug in your usb or a usb hard disk and off you go. Plays load of formats and not come across one it cant play yet. Cant recommend it enough

I was looking at one of those last night on Amazon... a 1080p one. Think that might be the way I go.

pintsofguinness

The xbox will do the same job as that media player mcgrens - didn't I see you on one of the xbox threads?
I've got 1tb and 500gb hard drives linked up to my xbox and can watch everything on the tv.

Only trouble is the xbox will only pick up a harddrive that's fat32 and it's a nightmare getting the drives formatted like that.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

mc_grens

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 28, 2010, 06:28:14 PM
The xbox will do the same job as that media player mcgrens - didn't I see you on one of the xbox threads?
I've got 1tb and 500gb hard drives linked up to my xbox and can watch everything on the tv.

Only trouble is the xbox will only pick up a harddrive that's fat32 and it's a nightmare getting the drives formatted like that.

Good call Pints. My x-box recently went 3 red lights, so Im gonna get a new one and be done with it. Mine is one of the old, old, first generation ones. I'll just get a terra byte HD to go with it and Ill be sorted then. My mate is a Techie for the Ordinance Survey, so Ill get him to sort the formatting lark.

David McKeown

Quote from: mc_grens on November 28, 2010, 06:41:21 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 28, 2010, 06:28:14 PM

Good call Pints. My x-box recently went 3 red lights, so Im gonna get a new one and be done with it. Mine is one of the old, old, first generation ones. I'll just get a terra byte HD to go with it and Ill be sorted then. My mate is a Techie for the Ordinance Survey, so Ill get him to sort the formatting lark.

Problem with the xbox or more with FAT 32 drives is that the largest file size you can have is just under 4gb which may not be great if you download blu ray rips at full hd or files with hd audio.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Archie Mitchell

Have the same myself, great job. The popcorn media players are a great job too.

FarneyMan

I also have a wd hd media player, great bit of kit, have a 1Tb drive attached, almost full with Movies\Tv Shows............