The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

You should never annoy the NZers by nearly drawing with them.

Donnellys Hollow

Last week was our chance. Mentally Ireland are already on the plane home. This second half could get very ugly indeed.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Shamrock Shore

NZ show no mercy. 51-0. I assume we r lucky to get the '0'!

Hardy

Result 60-0. Couldn't watch it. Just switched over to the stream once in a while to see the score. Every time I did it was replaying a NZ try.

Our international sports representatives (bar the racing men) have been embarrassing the country now for the whole month of June.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Hardy on June 23, 2012, 10:28:32 AM
Result 60-0. Couldn't watch it. Just switched over to the stream once in a while to see the score. Every time I did it was replaying a NZ try.

Our international sports representatives (bar the racing men) have been embarrassing the country now for the whole month of June.

thats a wee bit harsh, i thought we were great last week in the 2nd test. Another "glorious defeat" of which Roy Keane wouldnt approve of, but credit where credit is due.

Carlow could have made it a worse June for ye  ;)
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Hardy

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on June 23, 2012, 11:11:07 AM

thats a wee bit harsh, i thought we were great last week in the 2nd test. Another "glorious defeat" of which Roy Keane wouldnt approve of, but credit where credit is due.

Not harsh enough, I'd argue. What excuse can there be for a professional team to lose 60-0? That's just a spectacular failure to do your job, no matter how you look at it. At least the soccer supporters didn't tarnish the reputation of the country which, I gather, may be more than can be said for the ruggerites.

(Carlow would have done us a favour. Kildare will finish the job next week.)

anglocelt39

Quote from: Hardy on June 23, 2012, 11:16:40 AM

Not harsh enough, I'd argue. What excuse can there be for a professional team to lose 60-0? That's just a spectacular failure to do your job, no matter how you look at it. At least the soccer supporters didn't tarnish the reputation of the country which, I gather, may be more than can be said for the ruggerites.

Can see both sides of the argument but all in all would tend to agree that it's not acceptable for a professional team to be shipping that sort of a tanking. It's a bit like a junior GAA side that's being decimated by emigration taking a total hammering altoghether, now there are no such excuses in the Irish rugby professional setup
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Declan

QuoteWhat excuse can there be for a professional team to lose 60-0? That's just a spectacular failure to do your job, no matter how you look at it.

Agreed - an absolute disgrace

DuffleKing

What happened with the ruggerites?

Tubberman

Cad a tharla?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Celt_Man

mother of jaysus... only heard the final scoreline now...

Would Kidney's position ever come into question because of that result??

I know it won't but Ireland are 8th (I think) there is no way they should lose a game by 60 points equally they shouldn't go a whole game without scoring

A serious shake-up required if nothing else??
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

trileacman

A game that in the grand scheme of things didn't matter a f**k. Heineken Cup medal in the back pocket, these lads had visions of lying on the beach in the Caribbean relaxing after 40+ weeks of professional rugby. Sure O'Brien and Rory Best fucked off home 2 weeks ago ta get started on the silage and could you blame them?

Once again a few arseholes see a tanking scoreline and all of a sudden are rugby experts and feel obliged to stick the boot in. Disgrace, embarassment, blah, blah. Sure the next match you line out so. It wouldn't be so bad but the same men will be singing form high heaven when Leinster win another HC or Ireland beat the English or get a triple Crown.

As for Kidney, he isn't the man to take this team forward but he can't be blamed for the performance of a team of players who have HC medals and 6 nation medals. He picked as strong a team as he could, even omitting the players he is most criticised for playing, (DOC, D'Arcy). The side had only two changes from the team that team that came so close to beating the All-Blacks in the last test, hardly the mark of acute mismanagement.

What's the opposite of jumping on the bandwagon? Spitting on the hearse?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Orangemac

Would it be cynical to suggest New Zealand didn't want to hammer Ireland last week as their was a 3rd test coming up and they wanted to keep a bit of interest alive?

screenexile

Quote from: Orangemac on June 23, 2012, 11:37:02 PM
Would it be cynical to suggest New Zealand didn't want to hammer Ireland last week as their was a 3rd test coming up and they wanted to keep a bit of interest alive?

I think it would be. . . New Zealand pride was hurt last week after Ireland running them close. It really isn't supposed to happen!!

haranguerer

What excuse can there be for a professional team to lose 60-0? That's just a spectacular failure to do your job, no matter how you look at it.

Wtf? Werent the other team professional too??