You can't coach intelligence

Started by fearglasmor, November 20, 2007, 10:49:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

I had a teacher inform me as we went to play St Marys Magherafelt, that he didnt want to start me (id been having a poor season), but because we were short (we only had one other sub that day), he "had no choice". It was pishing down to wherer our old cotton jerseys gathered about 5 extra pounds in the duration of the game. I was stuck in at number 12. Havnt ever had as fine a game - but ill never forget beating my man and pointing in the first couple of mintues - with the tears streaming down my face. Was one of the worst experiences I ever had as a 14 year old hearing that from a man who I had always respected.

I think participation for all is something that needs to get ingrained into the heads of coaches up and down the country. Understandably ulster colleges is prestegious and competitive, but the ruthlessness of coaches and the insensitivity of the words of educated men can be hard to understand when you are, in essence, a child.

deiseach

Quote from: Puckoon on November 22, 2007, 08:54:40 PM
I had a teacher inform me as we went to play St Marys Magherafelt, that he didnt want to start me (id been having a poor season), but because we were short (we only had one other sub that day), he "had no choice".

Imagine how the sub felt!

Hardy

Deleted because I made a bags of it. Deiseach has it quoted below anyway.

deiseach

Quote from: Hardy on November 23, 2007, 04:51:31 PM
Someone told a good story here about getting his game one day because they had only the fifteen and no subs. At half time, the manager said to our man "Johnny, I'm taking you off".

"But we have no subs", says Johnny.

"Ah come on off anyway", says the manager.

Part II of that story . . .

"But if we don't start the second half with 15, we're giving them a walkover", says Johnny.

"I SAID COME ON OFF ANYWAY!", says the manager, brandishing a fist.

Puckoon

Quote from: deiseach on November 23, 2007, 02:26:05 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on November 22, 2007, 08:54:40 PM
I had a teacher inform me as we went to play St Marys Magherafelt, that he didnt want to start me (id been having a poor season), but because we were short (we only had one other sub that day), he "had no choice".

Imagine how the sub felt!
He had a broken arm :-[

darbyo

So, any solutions lads? The Go games are a great initiative and the one hop one solo rule at under 12 level is an excellent idea also but much more needs to be done. Seems that some individual clubs are getting their act together but is there an overall plan that could be implemented to improve things?

neilthemac

I still think a competition at U12 is worthwhile, as long as its not the ONLY competition they have to play

the majority of the year should be taken up with blitzs and small sided leagues. small sided games at training are also crucial to allow young players get loads of touches on the ball and chance at their own level

any manager who is organised and genuine about training all players should be able to organise extra games to give adequate 'game time' to all players

lemon125

I have experience in this also from my playing days, won everything underage always a sub are rarely brought on, had given up when i was 19... went to college where no one knew me or judged me and togged out for the Freshers and nearly instantly it gave me a new breath of life. Worked very very hard, made the U21 team which won county final and even made it senior for 1 championship match which i treasure dearly. While work etc has meant i cant put in the same effort as before i do still play and also in the admin side of the club. I would have nothing to do with the club bar i went to the college hurling club and was given a new lease of life. Now I love the club and work very hard for it.

I also took over training young lads, interesting to hear that a few lads who were treated badly did the same also, but even that some people were saying sur he cant be any good. But the one thing i did have was the experience of being told your not good enough and not getting game time. I had the U8's and ^'s which no one else wanted, and was all positive (even though there was time when I would be going mental inside) and even bringing off the best lad and bringing on the worst lad. Even letting the bad lad take free's etc, just for encouragement. Anyway, had 2 years away from them and went to see them Now U11 in a tournament game and to see how they have all grown up an progressed is a wonderful feeling. I'd love to have had been able to stay with them and do it until they were older but at least I think i might have had some impact. Telling some useless lad who miss hits a ball well done and keep trying, its so simple, but he's young, these are hard sports for kids with little or no development and co-ordination is all over the place, but they listen to every little thing and it should only be positive. I had a book for games time and had to mark who played what to give an even spread, they were sp smart they could tell exactly who played what and for how long while I had a spread sheet flying all over the place!!

Everybody deserves a chance

thewobbler

There is a genuinely pious, idealistic faction on the GAABoard, and this thread seems to have brought them out in droves.

Let's get this straight. GAA coaches do not develop the rules under which our games are played, nor do they design the structures that bring those games to fruition.

Instead, it is their job to make the most out of the players they are coaching, within the boundaries set by their administrators.

And if their administrators set them competitive goals, it can only be in the best interests of the club, and their players, if the coach aims to achieve those competitive goals. Yep, this might mean wee fellas all across the county are disappointed every week, but it's not the coach's fault. He is only working within the boundaries of the system.

Believe it or not, most 10 year olds know if they are playing within in a team good enough to win trophies. I would guess that if a coach affected their chances of winning a trophy, in regularly changing the team around, this would have at least as scarring an effect on a young mind as being dropped.

darbyo

I agree wobbler, but do you not think it would be better not having those competitive structures at that level. If I'm not mistaken there are no county championships in Louth before U14, just plenty of games with plenty of opportunity for lads to play. This is the way to go IMO, as an underage coach I know what it's like to want to play the weaker players but at the same time wanting to win the game. Not having to win every game would solve this problem.