Leinster u21 Football Championship 2011

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 29, 2010, 03:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Onlooker on April 07, 2011, 02:55:56 PM
Is it normal practice for a journalist to write a match report before the match is played?.

When the deadline is tight a sports journalist usually writes his match report as the match is going on in front of him. By the final whistle the thing should be virtually finished. Takes a short while then to clear it up and file it. I'm guessing that Breheny had the guts of the report written but as the match went down to the wire he had two versions ready to go and the sub-editor put up the wrong one.

ross matt

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 07, 2011, 01:33:40 PM
Quote from: Onlooker on April 07, 2011, 11:29:18 AM
The Irish Indpendent (on line) now has Breheny's article lauding Wexford's win with very much the same wording as he had for Longford's "win".  What a rubbish paper and what a rubbish journalist.

Wouldn't have had anything to do with Breheny in fairness. Would be the fault of the sub-editor.

Maybe you're correct GBB but I wonder...
Breheny is a very poor journalist who uses a national platform via the Indo to write the laziest articles on the most contrived subjects. GAA deserve alot better than him from that paper.

heffo

Quote from: ross matt on April 07, 2011, 03:09:00 PM
The Irish Indpendent (on line) now has Breheny's article lauding Wexford's win with very much the same wording as he had for Longford's "win".  What a rubbish paper and what a rubbish journalist.

Wouldn't have had anything to do with Breheny in fairness. Would be the fault of the sub-editor.

Breheny is a very poor journalist who uses a national platform via the Indo to write the laziest articles on the most contrived subjects. GAA deserve alot better than him from that paper.

I can tell you for a fact what I posted is correct. I know the person responsible for the mistake and it was nothing to do with Breheny.

Lone Shark

That's as may be but it's still nothing to do with this. I despise Breheny pontificating about things he doesn't fully grasp as much as the next man (the contrast between him and actual GAA club members who understand the grassroots is sharp) but it still doesn't have anything to do with this. I don't think anyone here is saying that he's so bad that he doesn't understand who won a game of football.

LaurelEye

Quote from: heffo on April 07, 2011, 03:47:06 PM

I can tell you for a fact what I posted is correct. I know the person responsible for the mistake and it was nothing to do with Breheny.

Be fair, it's only three letters out and they're all culchies with funny accents anyway, who'd know the difference?

FWIW, the correct version is in my print copy of the Indo. Unfortunately :P
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

ross matt

Quote from: heffo on April 07, 2011, 03:47:06 PM

Fair enough Heffo.