Water Leaking through ceiling-help needed!

Started by Gold, June 13, 2011, 12:44:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gold

Water is leaking through my ceiling in my living room that is directly below my bathroom. I noticed it for the first time earlier and checked the pipes in the bathroom above but couldnt find any leak/hole in pipes. The leaking then stopped but started once more as soon as our heating came on. I turned the heating off and the leaking stopped after about 5-10mins.

The leaking at worst was about one drop every 2/3 seconds and i'm now worried about it coming on again, getting worse and the ceiling coming through. It's leaking through a crack thats obviouly a weak point in the ceiling.

Obviously i'll need to get a plumber out but does anyone know what the story is with it happening whe the heating is on?
How much would it cost to fix roughly? I'm in Belfast btw
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Capt Pat

Put another hole in the floor so it will leak out again. No need to thank me for the advice.

Pangurban

Probably an underfloor Radiator Pipe, no big problem or expense, would leave heating off until it is fixed, or locate leak and apply some sealant in the meantime

theskull1

Drill a small hole in the ceiling roughly where you think the leak is .There could be a fair amount of pooling if the crack isn't letting the water get away. You could save the ceiling by doing this
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Ulick

Quote from: Gold on June 13, 2011, 12:44:34 AM
Water is leaking through my ceiling in my living room that is directly below my bathroom. I noticed it for the first time earlier and checked the pipes in the bathroom above but couldnt find any leak/hole in pipes. The leaking then stopped but started once more as soon as our heating came on. I turned the heating off and the leaking stopped after about 5-10mins.

The leaking at worst was about one drop every 2/3 seconds and i'm now worried about it coming on again, getting worse and the ceiling coming through. It's leaking through a crack thats obviouly a weak point in the ceiling.

Obviously i'll need to get a plumber out but does anyone know what the story is with it happening whe the heating is on?
How much would it cost to fix roughly? I'm in Belfast btw

Lift the floorboards and locate the leak so you what you are dealing with. Most likely at a join somewhere. Empty the system, remove the offending part, buy replacement and blowtorch B&Q (copper pipe will have solder on the inside), apply torch to the joint, refill system. If you have plastic pipes or don't want to mess around with blowtorches, you can use compression connectors. Total cost about £25. Call a plumber to do the same job and it'll be anywhere between £50-£150 depending on his call-out charge.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Turn the water off at the stop c**k and get a plumber out, better using a professional unless you are confident enough to do yourself as Ulick states above. Just remember insurance maybe invalidated if you cause even more damage by hashing at it yourself.
Tbc....

Tony Baloney

Onion Bag

Is there a possiblity that it could be coming from the shower, if so it will need water tanked, it is basically a clear substance that waterproofs your whole shower,
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Ulick

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on June 13, 2011, 01:08:52 PM
Turn the water off at the stop c**k yourself.

That won't make any difference initially as there will still be quite a lot of water in the system which will still have to drain away. On top of that central heating is usually supplied by it's own tank, separate from drinking water (unless he has gas or a sealed oil system). Turning off the stop c**k will only stop the heating system tank being refilled i.e. it will still drain away through the leak until it's empty.

Any gossip on the redundancies yet?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Ulick on June 13, 2011, 02:11:02 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on June 13, 2011, 01:08:52 PM
Turn the water off at the stop c**k yourself.

That won't make any difference initially as there will still be quite a lot of water in the system which will still have to drain away. On top of that central heating is usually supplied by it's own tank, separate from drinking water (unless he has gas or a sealed oil system). Turning off the stop c**k will only stop the heating system tank being refilled i.e. it will still drain away through the leak until it's empty.

Any gossip on the redundancies yet?

Was thinking of our heating, Combi system, so it all runs off the mains (great job btw).

Have heard that they are looking for voluntary first, then after Christmas it will probably be compulsary depending on numbers who take former.
Tbc....

Gold

Thanks for all the responses but landlord sorted a plumber out. Flexi pipe thing at back of toilet was leaking--last person had done a botch job fixing it a few years back the floor was soaked.

Ceiling sagged a fair bit but apparently will be ok and the water will dry up by the morning.

Cheers
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

ludermor

Quote from: Gold on June 13, 2011, 11:51:57 PM
Thanks for all the responses but landlord sorted a plumber out. Flexi pipe thing at back of toilet was leaking--last person had done a botch job fixing it a few years back the floor was soaked.

Ceiling sagged a fair bit but apparently will be ok and the water will dry up by the morning.

Cheers
Yeah ....right......