Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitegoodman

Kilcoo looked as fresh this year as they have in a long time and now have a youthful looking team again.  Whilst they will lose the leadership of a couple of Brannigans sooner rather than later they will still be the team to beat for a while to come.

However to say they would beat the pick of Burren and Point is being a WUM at best or plain stupid at worst.

Does anyone have a record of the minor championship winners from the last 10 years ? How many of those have Warrenpoint won ?

OgraAnDun

I think Warrenpoint have won a grand total of 1 MFC in the last 10 years, in 2012. If I'm not wrong, Burren have won 4 of the last 7 and been beaten in 2 finals and semi final in that time. Rostrevor have 2 or 3, Ballyholland have 1 and Kilcoo might make up the rest?

2010 - Kilcoo beat ? in final
2011 - Kilcoo beat Point in final
2012 - Point beat Burren
2013 - Rostrevor beat ?
2014 - Burren beat Shamrocks
2015 - Rostrevor beat Shamrocks
2016 - Burren beat Clonduff
2017 - Burren beat ?
2018 - Ballyholland beat Burren
2019 - Kilcoo beat Burren
2020 - Burren beat Bredagh

It's a pretty poor return for Burren in the SFC when you look at it like that, especially considering they won 2 SFCs in 2010/11, two Ulster U21s around that time and an Ulster MFC in 2016 too.

Sandstorm

Quote from: yewtree on September 21, 2020, 08:29:36 PM
All very predictable yesterday and a very deflated day.

Kilcoo won comfortable without getting out of 3rd gear , really wish we could have had a better team in the final to see if they would have had mettle for Burren in a final.

The draw gave us a lame-duck final. Carryduff were very weak.Still not convinced by Kilcoo.

Next year Burren or 'Point will be able to finally bring Frank O'Hare to where it belongs.
l see Kilcoo have won 8 of the last 9 championships, what would they need to do to convince you Yewtree?

Smurfy123

Won under 21s
As exciting a team as anyone in Down this long long time
We play a free flowing brand of football some of which hasn't been seen in years

Godsown

Quote from: Smurfy123 on September 21, 2020, 11:07:29 PM
Won under 21s
As exciting a team as anyone in Down this long long time
We play a free flowing brand of football some of which hasn't been seen in years

No Cojones for the big prize

downjim

Serious questions people, with the virus seemingly shutting down a lot of clubs in south Down and with it spreading. Can we see the leagues being finished? Do you think the county board will scrap the remaining league games and reserve championships? Will there be any outrage if this happens?

* Smurfy do not mention a team who has not won a major in 70 years with the traditional heavyweights in Down football, good man.

Mourne Red

Quote from: downjim on September 22, 2020, 09:09:07 AM
Serious questions people, with the virus seemingly shutting down a lot of clubs in south Down and with it spreading. Can we see the leagues being finished? Do you think the county board will scrap the remaining league games and reserve championships? Will there be any outrage if this happens?

* Smurfy do not mention a team who has not won a major in 70 years with the traditional heavyweights in Down football, good man.

Think Clubs/County Board will try and finish it if they can, big appetite from supporters to see more matches especially with how good the Championship games have been.. From a player perspective there'll be little outrage from us if it's scrapped we can't get promoted or relegated so its basically a couple of kick-abouts that need to be fulfilled.

We can use those couple of weeks as downtime to reset and get started on S&C for 2021

supersub

No need for the leagues to be finished putting everything into perspective.

Got a good run at it and the main events bar replayed hurling final are done.

Quit while you're head.

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: supersub on September 22, 2020, 05:19:31 PM

Quit while you're head.

None of the intermediate or junior hurling championship games have even started yet. I know most of this county don't give a stuff but if the pin is pulled now that's going to be harsh on those players. Not to start until 11th October.

snoopdog

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on September 23, 2020, 08:41:47 AM

Quit while you're head.

None of the intermediate or junior hurling championship games have even started yet. I know most of this county don't give a stuff but if the pin is pulled now that's going to be harsh on those players. Not to start until 11th October.
What's the reason for the intermediate and junior starting so late? Is it dual players?. Both should be finished out.

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: snoopdog on September 23, 2020, 09:12:14 AM

Quit while you're head.

What's the reason for the intermediate and junior starting so late? Is it dual players?. Both should be finished out.
They said they couldn't play it round the football championships. There would be an odd duel player but not many. I think they were worried about referee shortage too when the plan was put in place.

6th sam

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on September 23, 2020, 12:15:23 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on September 23, 2020, 09:12:14 AM

Quit while you're head.

They said they couldn't play it round the football championships. There would be an odd duel player but not many. I think they were worried about referee shortage too when the plan was put in place.
Any decisions on closing down should only be on basis of public health guidelines. Behind closed doors should be considered, especially in view of the success of PáircTV. Unless there is a valid public health direction otherwise , it would be totally unfair to pull the plug on competitions IMHO

sdg

Now the championship has finished, who would be in favour of going back to a knock out championship, given the excitement of the Tyrone KO system?

befair

Quote from: OgraAnDun on September 21, 2020, 10:16:40 PM
I think Warrenpoint have won a grand total of 1 MFC in the last 10 years, in 2012. If I'm not wrong, Burren have won 4 of the last 7 and been beaten in 2 finals and semi final in that time. Rostrevor have 2 or 3, Ballyholland have 1 and Kilcoo might make up the rest?

2010 - Kilcoo beat ? in final
2011 - Kilcoo beat Point in final
2012 - Point beat Burren
2013 - Rostrevor beat ?
2014 - Burren beat Shamrocks
2015 - Rostrevor beat Shamrocks
2016 - Burren beat Clonduff
2017 - Burren beat ?
2018 - Ballyholland beat Burren
2019 - Kilcoo beat Burren
2020 - Burren beat Bredagh

It's a pretty poor return for Burren in the SFC when you look at it like that, especially considering they won 2 SFCs in 2010/11, two Ulster U21s around that time and an Ulster MFC in 2016 too.

I think under-age football is at best only a guide for future senior titles. I was involved with a v successful underage team, but by the time they were in the early 20s almost all of them had emigrated. Young people now have to travel to make a career and the only time they can do this is in their 20s. But underage football is it's own reward, hopefully the lessons learned about the transience of success/failure and the friendships made will be lifelong

Caitlin

While there is no guarantee of success at senior level, there is no doubt that investing in underage can pay dividends.
Look at the championship finals/semi-finals;
St Pauls  :) Saul and Kilcoo have all gone down that road and reaped the rewards this year- Kilcoo for the last 11 years. Carryduff, CPN and Ballyholland the same.
Burren and Bredagh too. Now people may complain that apart from Kilcoo there are young players moving to these clubs- clearly a well organised underage structure is a magnet but we don't want to see a small number of super clubs- a rising tide should lift all boats.
On a separate note I fear that sport will be shut down in the coming weeks and we may not see a county championship. It only goes to highlight what a great job the CCC did in organising the club championships.