Shipyard

Started by tyroneman, August 06, 2019, 03:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 10, 2019, 09:37:32 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on August 10, 2019, 09:24:48 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 09, 2019, 07:16:12 PM
Quote from: Christmas Lights on August 09, 2019, 03:11:19 PM
Would these East Belfast engineers be willing to travel to Coalisland, Clonoe, Dungannon, Ardboe for work?  The screening and crushing guys have been screaming for fitters, welders, plasma cutters for the guts of 2 years. 

One of the big issues is the work mentality / ethic of the employees in places like H&W.  Its was the same with the employees in Caterpillar in Monkstown, couldn't get the cnuts to work so caterpillar just shut shop.  Not sure if that's a Belfast / city mentality but they are so protected by their trade unions and have always had a "thats not my job" attitude it sometimes comes as no surprise when the business starts to suffer.
I don't think it's a Belfast thing, rather it's a unionised labour issue. When you have a union holding an employer to ransom then it's easy for the employees to think they call the shots and work as fast or as slow as they want. I used to work in Nortel in Monkstown and we regularly worked unpaid overtime to deliver projects but the shop floor workers wouldn't hear of it. That site is now closed.

I wouldn't say there would be much, well any, correlation between unpaid overtime from factory workers and nortel going tits up. Nortel was going belly up globally and some factory workers in monks town wouldn't really have had that much to do with it.

Trailers stats on employment these days are very skewed by zero hour contracts. It is only an employees market in a few spaces.
Correct. I was merely highlighting the difference in the mindset between the unionised labour and people who see getting the job done as the target. Each to their own, but getting the job done on time in a service based industry tends to keep clients happy. I see it now in my current company - you have clock watchers and workers and in general clock watchers don't progress very far.

I agree that zero hours contracts do skew figures slightly but there's a shortage of Accountants, Doctors, Nurses, Dentists, Vets, Welders, electricians, plumbers, joiners, bricklayers, plasterers, labourers, lorry drivers, even my local shop are looking help and that's off the top of my head. All well paying jobs. No excuse for not being in work at this minute in time. Anyone without a job doesn't want one.

imtommygunn

Where have you got detail that all these professions have shortages? I don't doubt some of them have but not all of them?

Pretty sweeping statement really which I would far from be convinced by.

trailer

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 10, 2019, 11:28:25 AM
Where have you got detail that all these professions have shortages? I don't doubt some of them have but not all of them?

They all have shortages. But since you're looking the detail here is a 245 page government report. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/704104/Employer_Skills_Survey_2015_UK_Results-Amended-2018.pdf
Knock yourself out.

Milltown Row2

Daughters been flat out trying to get a part time job these last 3 months! Impossible
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Quote from: trailer on August 10, 2019, 01:57:52 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on August 10, 2019, 11:28:25 AM

They all have shortages. But since you're looking the detail here is a 245 page government report. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/704104/Employer_Skills_Survey_2015_UK_Results-Amended-2018.pdf
Knock yourself out.

That is UK wide. When people make very sweeping statements I like to see what they are based on. Also that is four, almost five, years ago and it says the density of skilled shortages has decreased in Northern Ireland while increasing elsewhere.

Still at least you have some basis for your sweeping statement ;D

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 10, 2019, 04:09:26 PM
Daughters been flat out trying to get a part time job these last 3 months! Impossible

You should have trained her to weld.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on August 10, 2019, 04:54:07 PM

Won't need to with all these jobs that seem to be available
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trailer

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 10, 2019, 05:24:05 PM

There's heaps of jobs if you want one. I appreciate not every job suits every person or their circumstances. But if you want a full time job there's no excuse that I can see. If you can't find a job create one, start a business, loads of opportunities at present.

Main Street

Start a bungee jumps enterprise from the iconic cranes, that idea just came to mind out of nowhere.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Main Street on August 10, 2019, 08:48:29 PM
Start a bungee jumps enterprise from the iconic cranes, that idea just came to mind out of nowhere.

We'll get you up first, if there is a bungee rope strong enough

Main Street

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 10, 2019, 10:30:12 PM

Whatever turns you on.
if that beats counting the crumbs left over from the 'crock of shit' defined benefit pension plan.

seafoid

Quote from: trailer on August 10, 2019, 06:40:42 PM

There's heaps of jobs if you want one. I appreciate not every job suits every person or their circumstances. But if you want a full time job there's no excuse that I can see. If you can't find a job create one, start a business, loads of opportunities at present.
The NI economy has record numbers of business failures
UK as a whole has low unemployment but no growth because most new jobs
don't pay enough. That is what is happening
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Main Street on August 11, 2019, 01:27:47 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 10, 2019, 10:30:12 PM

Whatever turns you on.
if that beats counting the crumbs left over from the 'crock of shit' defined benefit pension plan.

I won't be holding out on the crumbs available from that. I earn enough  since leaving there 20 years, I'll be ok  ;D

trailer

Quote from: seafoid on August 11, 2019, 07:06:01 AM
Quote from: trailer on August 10, 2019, 06:40:42 PM

The NI economy has record numbers of business failures
UK as a whole has low unemployment but no growth because most new jobs
don't pay enough. That is what is happening

Don't pay enough? You have to pay the minimum wage? This makes no sense.
Loads of businesses fail. Sometimes you need to fail before you succeed.
There's lots of jobs. Lots of good jobs. No one should be unemployed at this moment in time. Anyone without a job doesn't want one.

imtommygunn

Again I call bullshit on this statement.