2018 Joe McDonagh Cup

Started by Mossy Bruce, March 20, 2018, 11:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossy Bruce

I was trying find the fixtures for Laois in the upcoming Leinster Senior Hurling Championship and couldn't find us anywhere. What the ____? With a little hunting around, I just learned of the "Joe McDonagh Cup." Boy, have I been out of touch for awhile. Anyway, here's the fixtures that I found. Please update or correct any mistakes.

2018 Joe McDonagh Cup

Round 1
5 May 2018
Laois v Westmeath

Round 2
13 May 2018
Kerry v Laois

Round 3
19 May 2018
Antrim v Laois

Round 4
2 June 2018
Laois v Carlow

Round 5
9 June 2018
Meath v Laois

Final
1 July 2018
Laois v TBD

LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

burdizzo

Ha ha, love your optimism, Bruce - putting Laois into the final straight away! This will be the first year of the McDonagh Cup, but the unfortunate reality is that this is very much our level these days. Kerry have beaten Laois several times over the last couple of years, and we were lucky enough to beat Carlow by a point in the championship last year - a late goal being what did it for us. As you can see, we're not too far ahead of Antrim, either, and even Westmeath are capable of giving us the jitters. The only fixture there I'd confidently take it we'd win would be the Meath one.
I suppose, to be fair, it's more a case of these other counties having improved more than Laois have over the last while, but still, we're not in this group by mistake, either. You'd certainly hope we'd get to the final - but don't be booking that flight just yet!

blueandwhite1

Would remind you a bit of the six nations with all teams capable of taking scalps of each other and home advantage being hugely important. 

Wouldn't be putting money on a grand slam just yet!

I know we would love to be competitive at a level above this but it is exciting that we have 5 tough matches and the chance of a competitive final in Croker. It would be a great achievement to win this competition for the first time.

Clubber Lang

Having 6 teams in the competition is one too many. I know they are reducing it next year but an imbalance has been created in the number of home and away games between teams which is highly unfair. Antrim have the perfect draw with Westmeath and Meath away and arguably the three strongest teams-Laois, Kerry and Carlow all at home. I would expect them to take one of the two spots in the final based on the favourable draw. Laois are away to Kerry in week 2 and then play Antrim away in week 3- will be a stern test of the squad. Finishing in the top 2 positions won't be easy and Carlow will hold no fear of meeting Laois in O'Moore park. The final places could easily go down to head to head/score difference.   

G@@

Away to Antrim and Kerry will be a tough ask indeed.

However, the above sentiments about "but the unfortunate reality is that this is very much our level these days" are arguable. We are the only pure "Liam McCarthy side" that are in this group, all others have traded in the Christy Ring Cup.

If we win this out are we guaranteed Liam McCarthy status next year?
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

Unlaoised

Quote from: Clubber Lang on March 22, 2018, 03:20:26 PM
Having 6 teams in the competition is one too many. I know they are reducing it next year but an imbalance has been created in the number of home and away games between teams which is highly unfair. Antrim have the perfect draw with Westmeath and Meath away and arguably the three strongest teams-Laois, Kerry and Carlow all at home. I would expect them to take one of the two spots in the final based on the favourable draw. Laois are away to Kerry in week 2 and then play Antrim away in week 3- will be a stern test of the squad. Finishing in the top 2 positions won't be easy and Carlow will hold no fear of meeting Laois in O'Moore park. The final places could easily go down to head to head/score difference.

Thats pretty much as I see it...antrim got best draw by a country mile and gives them a big advantage!
LAOIS ABÚ

Clubber Lang

If Leinster team wins the Joe McDonagh then they are guaranteed place in Leinster championship for 2019. It kills me to say it but I would love to see Offaly avoid relegation this year and see if the structures as currently outlined are maintained. Be very interesting if a team like Wexford, Kilkenny or Dublin end up finishing bottom of the pile-would they be relegated to the Joe McDonagh for 2019.

Kerry if they will the Joe McDonagh would have to play-off against bottom side in Munster to earn a place in the Munster championship. Again if they did manage to pull off such a feat I'd be very surprised if a team like Waterford, Clare or Cork would accept being placed in second tier competition.

redsetanta

Time to get the 'Laois4Joe' flags made up.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

portlaoisekid

To see  Laois hurling  captain lift a trophy at Croke Park would be something special.

redsetanta

Any news from the hurling camp with the first game coming up next weekend?

Are there any injury concerns at all? How has PJ been doing in club games and any sight of Cahir Healy?

Need to get a win over Westmeath with two tough away games in succession after that.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Laoiseabu

How did the challenge game against London go?

redsetanta

Brilliant to see Picky Maher back in. We've lacked a decent scoring forward to contribute scores and not leave it all to Ross King. A huge boost for the championship.

Tobias

Didn't hear anything about London game. I think our panel will be strong enough to finish in the top two and get to the McDonagh cup final which would be no more than the players deserve for their efforts over the past few years. I think the panel has improved a little bit from last year. From the team that played Carlow in the championship last year we have added Podge Lawlor, James Ryan, Joe Phelan, Ciaran Comerford, Colm Stapleton, Ben Conroy(Injured), Cha Dwyer(Injured), Willie Dunphy (Injured), PJ Scully(Injured)
Picky got injured that day too. Hopefully Cahir Healy will come into the reckoning at some stage, Aaron Dunphy started that day but is out injured at present. Is Dwane Palmer back with the squad, he had been playing for Camross during April.

Laois V Carlow 2017
Enda Rowland; Dwane Palmer, Leigh Bergin, Lee Cleere; Eric Killeen, Matthew Whelan, Ciaran Collier; Ross King, Paddy Purcell; Jack Kelly, Stephen Maher, Sean Downey; Mark Kavanagh, Neil Foyle, Aaron Dunphy

redsetanta

Any ideas for the team for Saturday?

Should be a strong pick for Kelly if everyone is available bar Healy and a couple of others. Forwards should certainly be strong with Picky back. The backs have been fairly consistant all year so shouldn't be any surprises there.

Having the likes of Picky and Palmer back from injury is a big boost. Healy can't be too far away either.