Voting closed: October 27, 2018, 05:24:49 PM

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Syferus on October 27, 2018, 12:57:52 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on October 27, 2018, 12:50:54 PM
Quote from: Syferus on October 27, 2018, 12:45:47 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on October 27, 2018, 12:27:02 PM
Quote from: Syferus on October 27, 2018, 12:24:46 PM
Voting for a candidate who is making openly racist statements

Which race did he make statements about, other than the Presidential race?

Not surprising to see you here.

With quick responses like that you should run for President yourself.
Maybe, you'd answer my question though.

No.
Stating the obvious isn't racism

seafoid

Gallagher did very badly considering the last time. SF won't be too disappointed because it was a weird campaign with 4 non political candidates.
20% is a big protest vote.Maybe some people are not happy with the economy. Lots of material for SF

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/northern-ireland/northern-ireland-economy-lags-badly-behind-republics-37450685.html

« The Nevin Economic Research Institute said a deep gap exists between the strong performance of foreign firms operating in the Republic and its domestic economy. « 

Itchy

Ireland is today full of a load of self righteous wankers accusing 20% of the electorate of being rascist. Thats a very very lazy analysis in my opinion. Of course we cannot ask all those people why they voted casey and I am sure if we did we would find that some are prejudical against travellers. In the end I spoilt my vote as I never came across such a terrible selection to vote for. However I did consider Casey and I will tell you why
1 - He spoke honestly. For example, when all candidates on the debate on RTE were asked would they be happy with a haltin site built beside their homes they all said no problem. We all know that is a lie and we all know the vast majority of people would not be happy with that. Casey was naive in his honesty in many ways.
2- While he did say some awful things about travelers which were generalizations and totally unacceptable he did say some truths too. He correctly said that it was a disgrace t hat those familes in Tipp didnt move into their new homes as they wanted stables and land due to their "culture" that is abolute bollocks and an insult to the tax payer. Thats not a generalisation against all travelers, just those travelers. He questioned whether they should be considered an ethnic group - its a fair point, not one I agree with but its a fair question. Those two points resonated with a lot of people in the middle who are taxed at 50% and the rest barely covers  their mortgage and they struggle to send their kids to college. What did the other candidates say about Tipp - Nothing, too cowardly to even address it.

I didnt vote for casey as away from these statements

1- He said some nasty things in general about travelers and social welfare - you cannot tar everyone with same brush
2- He clearly was winging it when any questions came up about what the president actually does, he didnt have a clue. RTE and TV3 should have pushed him more on this to show that side of him, they let him off the hook too easy.

On the other candidates

Higgins never answered any question about his lavish lifestyle and expenses. He avoided everyone and resorted to boring us to death with long meandering waffle.
Ni Riadh fucked up royally when she said she would wear a poppy, this halved her own SF vote and did not gain her one vote in return. A really stupid thing to say.
The rest just were nothing candidates

trailer

Where now for SF? With all the election machinery behind their candidate this was a very disappointing result. As I said LNR was not a credible candidate, in what was, lets face it, a farce of an election. 3 joke candidates and she's had a very disappointing result including coming 3rd in Donegal and her own constituency. This was Mary Lou's first big test as leader and she has failed miserably. Running a candidate in the 1st place was risky. It has backfired spectacularly. They couldn't even get any of the protest vote. LNR may find it difficult to hold her own MEP seat next time round. A crushing election for them.

I think to dismiss Casey's vote a purely an anti traveller vote or protest vote is wrong. 21% is a big vote, especially without any political party behind you. Even SF couldn't muster that.

In the end there was only 2 candidates in the race Casey and Higgins with the other 4 candidates running novelty, joke campaigns.

Minder

Quote from: seafoid on October 27, 2018, 02:32:12 PM
Gallagher did very badly considering the last time. SF won't be too disappointed because it was a weird campaign with 4 non political candidates.
20% is a big protest vote.Maybe some people are not happy with the economy. Lots of material for SF

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/northern-ireland/northern-ireland-economy-lags-badly-behind-republics-37450685.html

« The Nevin Economic Research Institute said a deep gap exists between the strong performance of foreign firms operating in the Republic and its domestic economy. «

Really ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Boycey

Quote from: trailer on October 27, 2018, 04:54:38 PM
Where now for SF? With all the election machinery behind their candidate this was a very disappointing result. As I said LNR was not a credible candidate, in what was, lets face it, a farce of an election. 3 joke candidates and she's had a very disappointing result including coming 3rd in Donegal and her own constituency. This was Mary Lou's first big test as leader and she has failed miserably. Running a candidate in the 1st place was risky. It has backfired spectacularly. They couldn't even get any of the protest vote. LNR may find it difficult to hold her own MEP seat next time round. A crushing election for them.

I think to dismiss Casey's vote a purely an anti traveller vote or protest vote is wrong. 21% is a big vote, especially without any political party behind you. Even SF couldn't muster that.

In the end there was only 2 candidates in the race Casey and Higgins with the other 4 candidates running novelty, joke campaigns.

How do you marry that up with the fact that he had 1% pre-traveller speech?

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Boycey on October 27, 2018, 05:32:55 PM

How do you marry that up with the fact that he had 1% pre-traveller speech?
What speech?
He made a comment during a radio interview
He spoke his mind on what he thought about entitlement in the state

Boycey

Ok then how do you marry it up with the fact that he had 1% pre-traveller comment?

Cunny Funt

A little over a week ago Casey wasn't in the race either and was also seen as novelty cadidate. He went from 100/1 to 10/1 in the odds when he decided not to withdraw his name from the campaign, strange that...

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Boycey on October 27, 2018, 06:42:49 PM
Ok then how do you marry it up with the fact that he had 1% pre-traveller comment?
What exactly did he say about travellers that was wrong?
That they be treated the same as everyone else?

Boycey

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on October 27, 2018, 07:30:03 PM

Your missing the point.. trailer said that it probably wasn't an anti-traveller protest vote. I think that going from 1% to 21% after the comment suggests it might of been a factor? I didn't comment on whether what he said was right or wrong

Good piece in the Irish Times, I like the line about Ross O'Carroll Kelly's dad  :)

Michael D Higgins vs Peter Casey: some perspective is important (via @IrishTimes) https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/michael-d-higgins-vs-peter-casey-some-perspective-is-important-1.3678278

From the Bunker

Good to see Michael D win.

Good to see the rest lose their Election Money.

Looking forward to seeing the Presidential spending a/c's as promised next.  ;D

Itchy

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 27, 2018, 07:59:13 PM

I believe Casey gets his money back, the rest don't.

Esmarelda

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on October 27, 2018, 07:30:03 PM
Casey said Travellers are "basically people who are camping on someone else's land"

From the Bunker

Quote from: Itchy on October 27, 2018, 08:12:22 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on October 27, 2018, 07:59:13 PM

I believe Casey gets his money back, the rest don't.

He get's his money back for having Balls! Whether you think he's right or wrong he had the Balls to say what he said.