Incoming President favours a tiered championship structure

Started by Jinxy, March 14, 2018, 11:39:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 15, 2018, 12:45:32 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 15, 2018, 12:39:25 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 15, 2018, 12:34:14 PM
Play it at the same time of year as the championship, like the FA Cup and League.  Seed championship draws based on previous years League placing.

And extend the players unavailability to the clubs? And those who propose letting junior champions into senior semis/quarters, does that not defeat the tiered approach? To re-insert Rossfan's club championship argument, how many counties allow junior teams a pathway to win senior championships?

I'd argue that this is different and that's what a new solution is warranted but if I'm not wrong....junior, intermediate and senior clubs play in the divisional senior championships in Kerry...isn't that right?

they do Seanie, but the Divisional 'senior' championship is a completely different tournament to the County Championship. What you are proposing is the equivalent of  say Dromid Pearses (win Junior) play off against Intermediate club for a spot in the County Senior Semi final.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 15, 2018, 12:34:14 PM
Play it at the same time of year as the championship, like the FA Cup and League.  Seed championship draws based on previous years League placing.

I agree, I've suggested before their played concurrently.

thewobbler

I do like blowing my own trumpet; but a few years on and this still makes a better attempt at solving problems than anything I've seen:

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=25868.0

Rossfan

Ok chaps -
Play the NFL March to June with Provincial Championships interspersed.
17 weekends to play 11 rounds of games.
Club Leagues can be held during those months with opt in or opt out games for County players as decided by Co Boards.
No League Finals -   Top team win the Division.
Instead of calling it the NFL restyle it as Div 1 Championship etc.
Limit the AI to the 4 Provincial Champions and the top 2 teams in each Division of the League.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy

Also, eliminate all pre-season competitions.
The likes of Martin Breheny & Co., i.e. vested interests in the media, are always going on about the GAA surrendering the Autumn/Winter period to soccer and rugby coverage.
Load of nonsense.
Late Spring and Summer is when everyone should be playing the bulk of their football.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Esmarelda on March 15, 2018, 11:19:46 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 15, 2018, 11:17:44 AM
Straight knock out = train for 9 months for 1 game for half the players.
Might be ok if a 32 County competition and not  locked into unequal Provinces.
No matter what structures us introduced it will have to be passed by the Wise Old Ones.
You mean the county board reps who are instructed how to vote by the club reps at the county board meetings who are sent by the various clubs of whom all the players are members?
Yes indeed. And Santa Claus was chairing the county board meeting and all.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Owenmoresider on March 15, 2018, 02:27:51 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on March 15, 2018, 11:19:46 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 15, 2018, 11:17:44 AM
Straight knock out = train for 9 months for 1 game for half the players.
Might be ok if a 32 County competition and not  locked into unequal Provinces.
No matter what structures us introduced it will have to be passed by the Wise Old Ones.
You mean the county board reps who are instructed how to vote by the club reps at the county board meetings who are sent by the various clubs of whom all the players are members?
Yes indeed. And Santa Claus was chairing the county board meeting and all.
And therein lies the problem. Why not test out the theory of it how it works rather than mock it from afar? The answer is, because it's easier.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Esmarelda

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Rossfan on March 15, 2018, 01:20:27 PM
Ok chaps -
Play the NFL March to June with Provincial Championships interspersed.
17 weekends to play 11 rounds of games.
Club Leagues can be held during those months with opt in or opt out games for County players as decided by Co Boards.
No League Finals -   Top team win the Division.
Instead of calling it the NFL restyle it as Div 1 Championship etc.
Limit the AI to the 4 Provincial Champions and the top 2 teams in each Division of the League.

The most ridiculous suggestion I've seen to date, looks like you've looked at the past 2 years and thought how can I devise a championship that doesn't involve Mayo.  ;D

Catch and Kick

Running the league and championship concurrently is something to consider.
If the league was played in the summer with good weather attendances would rocket.
The big issues for me are that too much is demanded of county players and clubs are still getting a raw deal.
Corporate Park cannot continue to increase the size of the inter championship and say they are pro club. Impossible.
Two tier championships are a non runner for the ones excluded - heresy!

Look at the coverage and interest in the Rackard Cup, Lory Meagher Cup and to a lesser extent the Christy Ring Cup. Teams are virtually ignored and the games don't come on the radar Do we want that in football where we do in fact have a much more balanced competition...... yeah I know what you are thinking... but take out the top 4 and the rest aren't that far apart on any given day.

For all the criticism they get, the provincial championships matter - 4 serious titles to be won and the provincial councils are much more in touch with grassroots than Corporate Park.

If we are serious about the importance of the club there is only one solution - reduce the number fo inter county games and so reduce the length of that season.
Return to knockout championship - when the top 4 are beaten they beaten and give hope back to everyone else!
Run the league alongside the championship, market it properly and you will increase attendances to negate the loss of income from the reduction on qualifier games etc.....

OgraAnDun

Quote from: thewobbler on March 15, 2018, 01:15:24 PM
I do like blowing my own trumpet; but a few years on and this still makes a better attempt at solving problems than anything I've seen:

Correct. The best idea I have seen, and I suspect the best I will see.

trileacman

Quote from: OgraAnDun on March 15, 2018, 08:13:19 PM

Correct. The best idea I have seen, and I suspect the best I will see.

Yeah it's good.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Tony Baloney

A rare moment of brilliance.

trileacman

I see five competing forces in the debate here.

1: Coporate GAA. Wants to sideline the clubs and shite counties to maximise revenue from the high profile teams.
2: Clubs. Want to abolish the intercounty season so Jimmy the chain-smoking corner-back has a former county man to drag him to a county final win.
3: County players/managers. Want to play/manage at inter-county level.
4: Media. Wants more high profile matches so they can further their own interests/exposure/agenda, similar to corporate GAA in that they wield an inordinate amount of influence on the debate.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014