Should Tyrone speak to RTE

Started by CD, August 20, 2018, 11:17:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Just listened back to the sketch there for the first time in a few years. Its grim stuff. Madness to think someone approved that for air.

southtyronegael

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 21, 2018, 09:09:08 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 21, 2018, 08:18:59 PM
Were Tyrone paranoid when they were winning all Irelands or did it develop afterwards?

This skit would never be done on Pat Gilroy or Jack O'Connor.  It wouldn't?
pat gilroy or jack o connor wouldnt be stickin their noses in RTEs business either would they? mickey only himself to blame here im afraid.

bennydorano

100% Behind Mickey and his stance. A man I greatly admire for a reason that I can never quite put my finger on. A mixture of his stoic genuine faith, dignity in horrendous adversity and a general  refusal to roll over and die.

Syferus

Were Tyrone paranoid when they were winning all Irelands or did it develop afterwards?

Gilroy has done little to be parody-worthy, while Jacko's preening is much more subtle and only GAA anoraks are really aware of it. Harte has been a good source of material with his Godsaveus stuff and butter-wouldn't-melt public persona. Which is made all the worse when he's overseen the most cynical (at times brutally so) team the sport has ever seen. Comedy usually focuses on hypocrisies so of course there's a bullseye on Harte's arse when it comes to GAA skits.

Don't fall for the Tyronie 'they're all out to us' guff, Bunker.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 21, 2018, 09:44:08 PM
Just listened back to the sketch there for the first time in a few years. Its grim stuff. Madness to think someone approved that for air.
Where did you find it?
Careful now

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 21, 2018, 09:44:08 PM

Indeed, I find it incredible that it was broadcast. Having made such a crass blunder, there should have been a proper apology. It's ridiculous that it still hasn't been resolved, but RTE are totally to blame.

rrhf

None of your business. Lads can anyone stick a link up to the radio link. Couldn't believe how cruel it appeared at the time. Heads should have rolled.

omaghjoe

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 21, 2018, 08:20:22 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on August 21, 2018, 06:17:13 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on August 21, 2018, 06:06:33 PM
Des Cahill lured him into that to try and get some headlines.

There is a real Jose Mourinho siege mentality with tyrone sometimes. Tyrone's own supporters are even critical of Harte's style of football. It's not that appealing on the eye so if it was anyone it would be slated. To be fair it has got a lot better.

Jim McGuinness and Donegal got equally as much criticism whenever they were playing football which appealed to no-one but themselves and they struggled to shake the stigma off. This is pretty much where Tyrone are at too I would say.

Nice attempt at a straw man, the thread is about RTE treament of Mickey Harte in regardess a personal tragedy in his life.

If you want to compare can you recall RTE ever poking fun at JMG's family tragedy?

Look everyone knows that their sketch was out of line.

Your post basically read that you don't know if it was a vendetta and then more or less went on to say why it was.

No problem with the issue re the daughter but the everyone is against us thing is bullshit. That was how your post read.

I said that RTE probably didnt have a vendetta but that a few pundits did, starting with O'Rourke, and including specifically Spillane and Brolly.
Spillane probably the least in fairness, he thought Tyrone were a joke based on O'Rourke's bashing and then was just raggin that they hammered Kerry and won AIs
My point is they were allowed to continually slam Tyrone, make personal attacks on the players and manager, denigrate females from Tyrone. And that culture then permeated RTE and indeed much of the press in the South. Tyrone and Mickey Harte could be the butt of everyone's joke was the attitude. It was that culture that made the DJ in question believe he could do something like he did and it would be ok....and it was!

omaghjoe

Here's another thing about the apology

IF the DJ had apologised for not playing the Pretty Little Girl from Omagh which Harte agreed with him was likely incidental (tho Im not quite so sure myself) then did he even acknowledge the Dali Lama reference?

And if he did, did he try to pass that off as incidental and "apologised for any offence caused" as well?  If he did then I would have to say he is lying thru his teeth. It was quite deliberate and an unconditional public apology should have been issued.

Feck the more you think about it it really is unbelievable that heads didnt roll for that....

Whishtup

Quote from: southtyronegael on August 21, 2018, 09:49:42 PM

pat gilroy or jack o connor wouldnt be stickin their noses in RTEs business either would they? mickey only himself to blame here im afraid.

Surely, you should be able to write a strongly worded letter to a broadcaster without being publicly vindicated and having the worst/unimaginable of fresh wounds reopened?  It seems that there was a 'Croppies Lie Down' stance taken by RTE by their sneaky antics around this time and for many this is unforgiveable.  Whilst I feel it doesn't do us any good,  I can't see how we could do anything else in respect for Mickey.  The easiest thing to do is not always the right thing to do.

red hander

Quote from: Syferus on August 21, 2018, 10:50:40 PM

Gilroy has done little to be parody-worthy, while Jacko's preening is much more subtle and only GAA anoraks are really aware of it. Harte has been a good source of material with his Godsaveus stuff and butter-wouldn't-melt public persona. Which is made all the worse when he's overseen the most cynical (at times brutally so) team the sport has ever seen. Comedy usually focuses on hypocrisies so of course there's a bullseye on Harte's arse when it comes to GAA skits.

You're to be pitied rather than condemned  ::)

Rossfan

Syferus embarrassing us once more. :-[
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jayop

Quote from: Rossfan on August 22, 2018, 12:43:28 AM
Syferus embarrassing us once more. :-[

Nah mate he's embarrassing only himself. He no more speaks for all of Ross than Lenny speaks for all of Derry. There's plenty of dumb pricks here from Tyrone too and they sure as f**k don't speak for me.

omaghjoe

Quote from: red hander on August 21, 2018, 11:18:06 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 21, 2018, 10:50:40 PM

You're to be pitied rather than condemned  ::)

I wish people would stop replying to him because i end up reading the posts.

But I couldn't help but laugh at the attempt to get an anonymous online friend though anti-Tyrone camaraderie....aww bless