Car Problems!!

Started by downgirl, January 04, 2009, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clonian

Quote from: tbrick18 on January 12, 2024, 11:51:09 AM
Quote from: clonian on January 12, 2024, 11:46:55 AM
Quote from: 5times5times on January 12, 2024, 11:21:35 AMAny of you men here owned a mid 10s BWM 420/430D? And is it actually true cars are cheaper in England?
I have a 2017 420d xdrive, the 5 door one (grand coupe). I haven't had any issues so far apart from the constant call backs because of the EGR problems. They finally replaced the whole unit just before Christmas though. I like it, handles really well and it's nice to drive.
I have a mate who has the 3 door 430d which is 2014 and he had a massive issue with it last year, 2 grand problem. Can't remember the actual problem though and it was high mileage. He stills loves it though.

From what I'm told, in newer cars 2K is not a massive bill. It's the norm for any kind of issue.
I had to put injectors in a van recently, cost well over 1K. Know a guy who had an A8, suspension problem cost him nearly 3K.
Seems to be the norm now which is madness and part of the reason why I've been putting off buying.

I moved jobs recently and they have an Electric Car scheme you can sign up to...basically cycle to work for cars. Covers maintenance, insurance, tyres etc which is very appealing....but i hate the thought of electric.

We had signed up for a brand new electric car, Volvo XC40, on PCH. I had worked out the saving for no diesel to buy, warranty etc and had it all justified in my head. Ordered in March but by the time it came at Halloween the interest rates changing had pushed the payments up by nearly £60/month. By the time you took the upfront fee etc there was nearly an extra £3.6k over the 4 years. we were offered the chance of walking away with no cost so that's what we did.

general_lee

Quote from: 5times5times on January 12, 2024, 11:21:35 AMAny of you men here owned a mid 10s BWM 420/430D? And is it actually true cars are cheaper in England?
I have a 2017 420d xdrive, the 5 door one (grand coupe). I haven't had any issues so far apart from the constant call backs because of the EGR problems. They finally replaced the whole unit just before Christmas though. I like it, handles really well and it's nice to drive.
I have a mate who has the 3 door 430d which is 2014 and he had a massive issue with it last year, 2 grand problem. Can't remember the actual problem though and it was high mileage. He stills loves it though.
Are the EGR problems related to the type of driving ie town driving v motorway driving? I know town driving is not ideal for diesel engines.

My Mrs has a 2019 118d and EML starting coming on just as 12 month warranty ran out (classic woman completely ignored it and just drove on anyway). She only commutes about 12-14 miles each day and presuming the previous female owner was doing the same as the mileage wasn't high when she bought it.

Hereiam

Had a few bits and pieces to changes on the car....brake discs & callipers and the price of parts has gone crazy compared to what they were 4 yrs ago.

JoG2

Quote from: general_lee on January 12, 2024, 12:04:27 PM
Are the EGR problems related to the type of driving ie town driving v motorway driving? I know town driving is not ideal for diesel engines.

My Mrs has a 2019 118d and EML starting coming on just as 12 month warranty ran out (classic woman completely ignored it and just drove on anyway). She only commutes about 12-14 miles each day and presuming the previous female owner was doing the same as the mileage wasn't high when she bought it.

Maybe get it mapped and the EGR bypassed?

clonian

BMW are replacing all the EGR systems on certain models. All the recalls etc I had were on them and when they finally replaced it I got a voucher from them to go towards the next service. Have you had any recalls since you had the car?

general_lee

Quote from: clonian on January 12, 2024, 01:10:44 PM

BMW are replacing all the EGR systems on certain models. All the recalls etc I had were on them and when they finally replaced it I got a voucher from them to go towards the next service. Have you had any recalls since you had the car?
Yeah pretty sure there was a letter sent but she's typical woman she's done nothing about it  ;D

clonian

Quote from: general_lee on January 12, 2024, 02:13:23 PM
Quote from: clonian on January 12, 2024, 01:10:44 PM

Yeah pretty sure there was a letter sent but she's typical woman she's done nothing about it  ;D
They're replacing them at the minute FOC so it would be a good time to contact BMW. You don't want to be caught replacing that yourself.

marty34

From what I'm told, in newer cars 2K is not a massive bill. It's the norm for any kind of issue.
I had to put injectors in a van recently, cost well over 1K. Know a guy who had an A8, suspension problem cost him nearly 3K.
Seems to be the norm now which is madness and part of the reason why I've been putting off buying.

I moved jobs recently and they have an Electric Car scheme you can sign up to...basically cycle to work for cars. Covers maintenance, insurance, tyres etc which is very appealing....but i hate the thought of electric.

That's big money for fixing a relatively new car.

Do the garages stand over anything now?  Bit bill to be forking out.

tbrick18

Quote from: marty34 on January 15, 2024, 05:35:41 PM

That's big money for fixing a relatively new car.

Do the garages stand over anything now?  Bit bill to be forking out.

I think by law they have to give warranty of at least 3 months. But there's always grey areas around what is covered, i.e. is it a wearable item or something that should be covered under warranty.
I think a lot of dealers now just include an AA type warranty that costs a certain amount and bake it into the price of the car. Saves them the hassle and gives the buyer peace of mind.
But people still buy cars privately too where you have no cover at all.

redzone

Were or who do these dealers buy their cars of in the UK. There must be big profit in each car if I can get them sold. Presumably they are at auctions. You could save yourself bigoney if u cut the dealer out. Anybody know anything about doing it

marty34

Quote from: redzone on January 21, 2024, 07:34:54 PMWere or who do these dealers buy their cars of in the UK. There must be big profit in each car if I can get them sold. Presumably they are at auctions. You could save yourself bigoney if u cut the dealer out. Anybody know anything about doing it

You mean heading to England yourself and buying one at auction?

I don't know but would be interested. Do you need to be registered as a trader to buy at auction?

redzone

Quote from: marty34 on January 21, 2024, 08:11:00 PM
Quote from: redzone on January 21, 2024, 07:34:54 PMWere or who do these dealers buy their cars of in the UK. There must be big profit in each car if I can get them sold. Presumably they are at auctions. You could save yourself bigoney if u cut the dealer out. Anybody know anything about doing it

I don't know but would be interested. Do you need to be registered as a trader to buy at auction?
Yes that's what I mean. Didn't explain it to well with a few typos as well.
I wonder what are the prices with UK dealers like compared to here.
I was looking at a few dealers prices compared to private sale and you would be losing 2/3 grand as soon as you drive it out the gate

Tony Baloney

Quote from: redzone on January 21, 2024, 08:25:15 PM
Quote from: marty34 on January 21, 2024, 08:11:00 PM

Yes that's what I mean. Didn't explain it to well with a few typos as well.
I wonder what are the prices with UK dealers like compared to here.
I was looking at a few dealers prices compared to private sale and you would be losing 2/3 grand as soon as you drive it out the gate
I was actually on Autotrader earlier and there is much more value to he had in England vs the North. Hardly surprising considering the volume available over there. The brother in law has done it himself a few times knowing that if something went tits up in the first few months he'd fix it at home rather than use the dealers warranty and in all likelihood still have saved money.

WeeDonns

British car auctions: https://www.bca.co.uk/

I bought a VW transporter from a dealer in Bedford 2 years ago & had it shipped back to Tyrone for £350.
I could have sold it here for ~£5k more than I paid for it

tbrick18

Quote from: WeeDonns on January 22, 2024, 09:07:04 AM
British car auctions: https://www.bca.co.uk/

I bought a VW transporter from a dealer in Bedford 2 years ago & had it shipped back to Tyrone for £350.
I could have sold it here for ~£5k more than I paid for it

Do you not need a trade account to buy off there?