Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

marty34

Quote from: smelmoth on May 15, 2019, 04:58:47 PM
Quote from: marty34 on May 15, 2019, 03:21:17 PM
Quote from: trailer on May 15, 2019, 09:00:00 AM
Quote from: marty34 on May 14, 2019, 09:48:14 PM
Quote from: trailer on May 14, 2019, 09:45:23 PM
Co-opting. Jobs for the boys/girls. If you're a good little boy or girl and do what the Felon's club tells you, you'll get a cushey MLA number.

Or the Durkans in Derry or Dallats in Causeway or the Paisleys, Poots and Robinsons etc. etc....all the same in every political party.

It's definitely not the same in every political party.

I see there is an issue with postal votes for the European elections in NI. Be interesting to see if this has an effect on percentage vote share....

It's exactly the same in most political parties - co-opted or standinging for the first time.

Durkan in Derry...mmmm...nepotism and all the rest, Maskeys in Belfast, Poots and Robinsons in Belfast.  Family name means a lot on the poster regardless.

Last sentence is probably true but that's democracy. Co opting is not the same is it? The electorate don't have role to play in co opting do they?

A Durkan in Foyleside???? As good as co-opting.

LooseCannon

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 15, 2019, 10:04:57 AM
Anyone guess who'll be elected in the various constituencies in the 26? Mairead McGuinness will prob top the poll in Midlands/North/West. Apart from that???
Mairéad McGuinness
Ming
Brendan Smith
Carthy or Casey. People are copping on to Carthy's co-option party trick.

Ireland South:
Seán Kelly
Liadh Ní Riada
Billy Kelleher
Clune/ Smith
Byrne

Dublin:
Fitzgerald
Andrews
Boylan
I've a funny feeling that Cuffe will get the last one.

IMHO, of course. I may be proven to be wrong.

currychip

Quote from: marty34 on May 15, 2019, 05:49:45 PM
Co-opting. Jobs for the boys/girls. If you're a good little boy or girl and do what the Felon's club tells you, you'll get a cushey MLA number.

Or the Durkans in Derry or Dallats in Causeway or the Paisleys, Poots and Robinsons etc. etc....all the same in every political party.

I see there is an issue with postal votes for the European elections in NI. Be interesting to see if this has an effect on percentage vote share....

It's exactly the same in most political parties - co-opted or standinging for the first time.

Durkan in Derry...mmmm...nepotism and all the rest, Maskeys in Belfast, Poots and Robinsons in Belfast.  Family name means a lot on the poster regardless.

Last sentence is probably true but that's democracy. Co opting is not the same is it? The electorate don't have role to play in co opting do they?

Bunkum.  There were 3 SDLP candidates and 2 SDLP quotas. Voters had a choice and voted strongly for Mary Durian.  Nothing like a co option.  A simple case of offering voters choice.

smelmoth

Quote from: marty34 on May 15, 2019, 05:49:45 PM

Do you see any difference between Maoliosa McHugh being rejected by the electorate at council level and then being foisted on the electorate, without a vote at the higher MLA level and on the other hand Mary Durkan stand for election in her local area and succeeding?

Do you see any difference between some kid with no life, work or public service experience being co opted in and say a proven party official and established professional running for election in her local area and securing electoral approval?

RedHand88

https://sluggerotoole.com/2019/05/15/ni-european-election-data-modelling-exercise/

Very interesting. The takeaway is that long is best placed for the 3rd seat from a remain point of view. I think I'll transfer to her, she's a good politician.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: LooseCannon on May 15, 2019, 08:14:09 PM
Anyone guess who'll be elected in the various constituencies in the 26? Mairead McGuinness will prob top the poll in Midlands/North/West. Apart from that???
Mairéad McGuinness
Ming
Brendan Smith

Ireland South:
Seán Kelly
Liadh Ní Riada
Billy Kelleher
Clune/ Smith
Byrne

Dublin:
Fitzgerald
Andrews
Boylan

Only 4 seats in South and 3 in Dublin. Other seats suspended because the British are still there.

LooseCannon

Quote from: Owenmoresider on May 15, 2019, 11:43:25 PM
Mairéad McGuinness
Ming
Brendan Smith

Ireland South:
Seán Kelly
Liadh Ní Riada
Billy Kelleher
Clune/ Smith
Byrne

Dublin:
Fitzgerald
Andrews
Boylan

Only 4 seats in South and 3 in Dublin. Other seats suspended because the British are still there.

I'm aware of that.

Hound

Quote from: LooseCannon on May 16, 2019, 06:56:54 AM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on May 15, 2019, 11:43:25 PM
Mairéad McGuinness
Ming
Brendan Smith

Ireland South:
Seán Kelly
Liadh Ní Riada
Billy Kelleher
Clune/ Smith
Byrne

Dublin:
Fitzgerald
Andrews
Boylan

I'm aware of that.
Number 4 is going to have to wait in the sidelines pending the UK exit. For Dublin, have they said if they are going to count it like a 4 seater, or do it as a 3 seater first and then re-count as a 4?

It could make a big difference.
Last time the top 4 in Dublin (3 seater), in order, were:
1. Boylan
2. Childers
3. Hayes
4. Ryan

But if they'd counted it as a 4 seater, the order would have been:
1. Boylan
2. Childers
3. Ryan
4. Hayes

So Eamonn Ryan would have got in automatically and Brian Hayes would have had to wait until UK finally left.

This is because under the second scenario, Boylan would have had a 13,000 excess over the quota to distribute and Ryan was only about 1,000 votes behind Hayes, so it's thought he'd have comfortably passed him out.

Rossfan

Might have it wrong but I believe Dublin and South will be counted as 4/5 seats with 4th and 5th elected on the bench waiting for the United Chaosdom to leave the EU.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

macdanger2

Quote from: Rossfan on May 16, 2019, 10:46:24 AM
Might have it wrong but I believe Dublin and South will be counted as 4/5 seats with 4th and 5th elected on the bench waiting for the United Chaosdom to leave the EU.

That's what I read also

Hound

Lucky for Frances, she's becoming even more photogenic for the election!

Recent picture

Election picture

smelmoth

Jim Allister is better at making his point than Kennedy (Danny that is), Dodds or Anderson. Admittedly his point is bloody stupid. Dodds is a lightweight. Kennedy looks bewildered and Anderson is the female embodiment of Cicero

Franko

Quote from: smelmoth on May 16, 2019, 10:58:09 PM
Jim Allister is better at making his point than Kennedy (Danny that is), Dodds or Anderson. Admittedly his point is bloody stupid. Dodds is a lightweight. Kennedy looks bewildered and Anderson is the female embodiment of Cicero

Won't be voting SF this time anyway.  Watching that 'armoured cars and tanks and guns' speech of Anderson's a while back made me sick in my mouth a little.

However, you don't do much to present the positive case for voting Alliance smelmoth.  Constantly attacking the other candidates reeks of someone with nothing of substance to say.  And it's tiresome.

smelmoth

Quote from: Franko on May 17, 2019, 08:42:27 AM
Quote from: smelmoth on May 16, 2019, 10:58:09 PM

Won't be voting SF this time anyway.  Watching that 'armoured cars and tanks and guns' speech of Anderson's a while back made me sick in my mouth a little.

However, you don't do much to present the positive case for voting Alliance smelmoth.  Constantly attacking the other candidates reeks of someone with nothing of substance to say.  And it's tiresome.

Sorry that you find it tiresome. I have posted several times to expose that SF lie to their supporters about the nature of UI on offer, that SF and DUP don't like being challenged, have no answers when challenged and have no positive track record to point to despite the opportunities afforded them. It's tiring work but I'll persevere.

As for the positive case for Alliance I have posted the merits of their candidate (can or has anyone argued that any of the other candidates is more capable). I have argued that Long is more capable of arguing the remain case, highlighting the unique NI circumstances and the range of opinions and contexts in NI (by all means for someone who can do this better). I have argued that Long can collect the required transfers in a way that say Kennedy and Eastwood can't (and explained why). I have argued for voting for a Remain candidate and have argued that this election (amongst others) does not have to be along unionist/nationalist lines. It may be tiresome but you can't seriously pretend that it's not positive