New Car Advice

Started by Dinny Breen, March 06, 2018, 11:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Murphy_74

In the process of buying a Kia Optima (17 car, ex-demo).

Any experience of them, it's a 1.7 Diesel manual.

/Jim.

paddyjohn

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on April 10, 2018, 10:59:46 AM

/Jim.

A mate had one as a company car, he loved it. Said it was one of the best cars he ever drove.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: paddyjohn on April 10, 2018, 12:03:02 PM

/Jim.

A mate had one as a company car, he loved it. Said it was one of the best cars he ever drove.

I had one for a couple of months as a courtesy car, great to drive but the one they gave me was a hybrid was a nightmare, only last extremely expensive on juice once the 28 miles it did on electric ran out.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 10, 2018, 12:12:05 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on April 10, 2018, 12:03:02 PM

/Jim.

I had one for a couple of months as a courtesy car, great to drive but the one they gave me was a hybrid was a nightmare, only last extremely expensive on juice once the 28 miles it did on electric ran out.

Had a look at PHEV models on web but I live out in the sticks so didn't see any advantage.  I am free state based so VRT would have been low but mostly I would be using hybrid and reports weren't great on it.

Gone ahead with diesel one this morning. 

/Jim.

JimStynes

Looked at PCP but wasn't going to work for us. We have 2 cars, we always buy a car and pay it off over 3 years or so, then change the other one and do the same again. If we take out a PCP on a new car, then what do you do when you need to change the other car. It would mean paying 2 PCP deals at the one time. The guts of £500 a month on cars and you don't own them ffs.

Orchard park

PCP is the next big credit bubble car crash, a vanity product for people thinking they need new big cars which they actually cant afford

thebigfella

Quote from: JimStynes on April 10, 2018, 04:13:48 PM
Looked at PCP but wasn't going to work for us. We have 2 cars, we always buy a car and pay it off over 3 years or so, then change the other one and do the same again. If we take out a PCP on a new car, then what do you do when you need to change the other car. It would mean paying 2 PCP deals at the one time. The guts of £500 a month on cars and you don't own them ffs.

Why wouldn't you run the PCP for 3 years and pay off the remaining before doing a PCP deal on the 2nd car? Would it not ultimately be the same as paying a loan back over 3 years anyway?

thebigfella

Quote from: Orchard park on April 10, 2018, 04:16:20 PM
PCP is the next big credit bubble car crash, a vanity product for people thinking they need new big cars which they actually cant afford

If they can make the payments, then they can afford. If you don't want to keep the car or can't afford too at the end, then ultimately you hand back.

The post ultimately strikes of begrudgery.

JimStynes

Quote from: thebigfella on April 10, 2018, 04:36:14 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on April 10, 2018, 04:13:48 PM

Why wouldn't you run the PCP for 3 years and pay off the remaining before doing a PCP deal on the 2nd car? Would it not ultimately be the same as paying a loan back over 3 years anyway?

What do you mean pay off the remaining? As in a lump on what's left on the pcp car?

Orchard park

Quote from: thebigfella on April 10, 2018, 04:38:56 PM

If they can make the payments, then they can afford. If you don't want to keep the car or can't afford too at the end, then ultimately you hand back.

far from begrudgery, just a caustic eye on credit bubbles over a lifetime.............if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then its a f**king duck in my book. PCP is a credit crash world wide waiting to happen

Franko

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on March 09, 2018, 10:43:54 PM
My Golf auto also has adaptive cruise control and in combination it can almost drive itself, braking, accelerating, changing up and down itself. It is great when on some of our crowded roads where speeds are usually well below the limited and the traffic speeds up and slows down.  The ACC keeps the car a safe distance from the vehicle in front and is a great safety device.

Agreed, that VW ACC system is an amazing piece of engineering.

macdanger2

Quote from: Orchard park on April 10, 2018, 05:01:59 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on April 10, 2018, 04:38:56 PM

far from begrudgery, just a caustic eye on credit bubbles over a lifetime.............if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then its a f**king duck in my book. PCP is a credit crash world wide waiting to happen

Was listening to a fella on the radio who reckoned it's a bubble alright but not likely to affect the users hugely (any individual will be in hoc for a relatively low sum) but could have a huge effect on car dealerships who might be in too deep on these if a lot of people were to default. Anyone know how the details of how dealerships finance these?

manfromdelmonte

who regulates these PCP products though?

not the Central Bank!!
In fact, nobody!

its a disaster waiting to happen

Orchard park

manfromdelmonete

100% correct but the deluded will call you a begrudger

laceer

In the north, a large number of PCP/PCH products are provided by large leasing companies like Lex Autolease who are owned by banks. It is a heavily regulated industry.