New Car Advice

Started by Dinny Breen, March 06, 2018, 11:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 08, 2018, 01:52:13 PM
Anyone any experience of the older Volvo XC90? The missus has to travel hill and glen to work and the roads are shite so a 7-seat 4x4 is the answer but I don't want to spend big money on anything this year, so would buy one to do a few years if in decent nick around the £10k mark.

There are a few on here:
https://www.usedcarsni.com/search_results.php?make=33&model=17108899&fuel_type=0&trans_type=0&age_from=0&age_to=0&price_from=0&price_to=0&user_type=0&mileage_to=0&keywords=&distance_enabled=1&distance_postcode=&homepage_search_attr=1&search_type=1&car_class=

trueblue1234

Anyone any experience of the older Volvo XC90? The missus has to travel hill and glen to work and the roads are shite so a 7-seat 4x4 is the answer but I don't want to spend big money on anything this year, so would buy one to do a few years if in decent nick around the £10k mark.

We got an XC60 before Christmas. 2016. To be honest I'm a bit disappointed with it. Seems very hard on the diesel (Which I know is common enough for a SUV) and wasn't great in the snow. Looks well but there's been a few minor niggly things that annoy me driving it. Nothing major but when you put them together is slightly disappointing. 
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: shezam on March 08, 2018, 01:53:12 PM
Quote from: balladmaker on March 08, 2018, 12:39:08 PM
An astute business person once told me to "Never own anything that reduces in value" ... a car fits into this perfectly.

Anyone got a car on PCH Personal Contract Hire? Views?

Great way to buy a car.  You have a fixed monthly payment and no worry about depreciation.  You can add in maintenance if you want.  Only two worries, get the annual mileage right in the beginning as penalties can be paid if you exceed it between 6 and 10p per excess mile. The second is keeping it in good shape during rental period as it will be examined at the end - less of a problem with a leasing company than with a franchise who might consider some wear and tear as damage.  There are some great deals with PCH if you are ready to go, always set the mileage as high as possible to prevent excess payments.  Road tax is always included in the payment as the vehicle is never yours.

Jeepers Creepers

Have one myself Tony, Workhorse. 2.5 tonne steel rollcage so great safety aspect in terms of shipping the kids about, however as expected it is heavy on the ol juice and Road tax aint cheap. Your talking circa 2011 for 10kish. You'll be able to pick up a very decent XC90 at that price. Becaue of the weight the brakes  / Pedal handbrake kit need abit more careful attention more often than not. I really love it but will be trading in soon to soemthing abit cheaper to run.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on March 08, 2018, 04:49:35 PM

Have one myself Tony, Workhorse. 2.5 tonne steel rollcage so great safety aspect in terms of shipping the kids about, however as expected it is heavy on the ol juice and Road tax aint cheap. Your talking circa 2011 for 10kish. You'll be able to pick up a very decent XC90 at that price. Becaue of the weight the brakes  / Pedal handbrake kit need abit more careful attention more often than not. I really love it but will be trading in soon to soemthing abit cheaper to run.
Cheers. How heavy on the juice?

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on March 08, 2018, 03:40:51 PM
Quote from: shezam on March 08, 2018, 01:53:12 PM
Quote from: balladmaker on March 08, 2018, 12:39:08 PM
An astute business person once told me to "Never own anything that reduces in value" ... a car fits into this perfectly.

Anyone got a car on PCH Personal Contract Hire? Views?

Great way to buy a car.  You have a fixed monthly payment and no worry about depreciation.  You can add in maintenance if you want.  Only two worries, get the annual mileage right in the beginning as penalties can be paid if you exceed it between 6 and 10p per excess mile. The second is keeping it in good shape during rental period as it will be examined at the end - less of a problem with a leasing company than with a franchise who might consider some wear and tear as damage.  There are some great deals with PCH if you are ready to go, always set the mileage as high as possible to prevent excess payments.  Road tax is always included in the payment as the vehicle is never yours.
this post has to be a wind up?

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 08, 2018, 06:15:34 PM

The official stats if 33/34 mpg on motorway and early to mid 20s arsing about are almost bang on.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on March 08, 2018, 09:10:26 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 08, 2018, 06:15:34 PM

The official stats if 33/34 mpg on motorway and early to mid 20s arsing about are almost bang on.
Hmmm that's off-putting I have to say. Thanks for the tip off.

CiKe

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on March 06, 2018, 06:59:52 PM
3 times this year already! Are manual 4 wheel drives an option? She who must be obeyed just informed me she doesn't want an automatic.

Think when people say that, is because never driven an automatic!

snoopdog

Quote from: CiKe on March 08, 2018, 10:29:34 PM
3 times this year already! Are manual 4 wheel drives an option? She who must be obeyed just informed me she doesn't want an automatic.

Agree. Once you get an automatic you wonder why you ever bothered with a manual
They practically drive themselves. Simple to drive just get used to not using your left foot.

armaghniac

Quote from: snoopdog on March 09, 2018, 07:50:08 PM

They practically drive themselves. Simple to drive just get used to not using your left foot

Some of us are committed left footers.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Owen Brannigan

My Golf auto also has adaptive cruise control and in combination it can almost drive itself, braking, accelerating, changing up and down itself. It is great when on some of our crowded roads where speeds are usually well below the limited and the traffic speeds up and slows down.  The ACC keeps the car a safe distance from the vehicle in front and is a great safety device.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: armaghniac on March 09, 2018, 10:32:21 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on March 09, 2018, 07:50:08 PM

They practically drive themselves. Simple to drive just get used to not using your left foot

Some of us are committed left footers.
Yep. Don't want to lose that muscle tone built up over many years.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on March 09, 2018, 10:54:38 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on March 09, 2018, 10:43:54 PM
My Golf auto also has adaptive cruise control and in combination it can almost drive itself, braking, accelerating, changing up and down itself. It is great when on some of our crowded roads where speeds are usually well below the limited and the traffic speeds up and slows down.  The ACC keeps the car a safe distance from the vehicle in front and is a great safety device.
Christ, that'd take a bit of getting used to. I'd be hovering the foot over the brake.
The roads will be full of autonomous vehicles in our lifetime.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 09, 2018, 10:58:33 PM
Quote from: hardstation on March 09, 2018, 10:54:38 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on March 09, 2018, 10:43:54 PM
Christ, that'd take a bit of getting used to. I'd be hovering the foot over the brake.
The roads will be full of autonomous vehicles in our lifetime.

You can get very used to it. I head out the road, set the max speed to 60 and keep in the line of traffic I can accelerate away if I wish but no point unless vehicle in front is on its own. When I get to dual or motorway raise speed setting to 70 and use ACC to keep distance or accelerate to pass slower vehicles.

Usually turn it off when heavy rain or slippery as it keeps the brake primed and a slight touch is only needed with the usual push length removed.

Often lose the nerve to allow it to stop suddenly when you come up behind a slow mover.

Overall a great addition I would always want as a safety device in a car.