Jim McGuiness - 10 Years On

Started by GetOverTheBar, January 15, 2021, 01:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

As it stands now Jimmy is a one trick pony, if he returns to the game  to do something more then that status can change. He hasn't put in the shift I think he could have led that Donegal squad to another 2 or 3 AI finals.

Angelo

Quote from: Main Street on January 20, 2021, 11:14:10 AM
As it stands now Jimmy is a one trick pony, if he returns to the game  to do something more then that status can change. He hasn't put in the shift I think he could have led that Donegal squad to another 2 or 3 AI finals.

There was a short window with that Donegal team though. I think a lot of those lads were done after 2014. Big players for Donegal like McFadden, Lacey, Kavanagh, Toye, E McGee, Gallagher were all the wrong side of 30 and Donegal under McGuinness had very, very little in terms of quality in depth. McGuinness got that job too late really. If he had taken that Donegal team on 3 or 4 years earlier then they certainly had 2 or 3 All Irelands in them.

Rory Gallagher really got handed a poisoned chalice when he took on that job, the transition phase where all those men were coming to their natural conclusion and youngsters who needed a few more years to show their worth.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

StephenC

Quote from: Main Street on January 20, 2021, 11:14:10 AM

He certainly is a one-trick pony. Still ... an AI championship is a pretty impressive one trick to have.

Ethan Tremblay

Unless he gets back into management, he will be defined as the manager who introduced the ultra defensive counter attacking tactics that plagues our game today. 

Essentially, he set out to win an All Ireland, achieved that and turned a mediocre team into consistent contenders for the past decade, so I would say his legacy outreaches his tenure as manager. 

But again, it would be interesting to see if he can repeat his turnaround with Donegal elsewhere.  In a sense similar to Harte now at Louth, it will be interesting to see how a top manager works out on a different playing field, different backing, different players etc. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

imtommygunn

There were some great footballers in that team too though. I wouldn't say they were a mediocre - they were an underachieving one. Arguably they did overachieve winning the AI but they should have had two and tbh I thought McGuinness failed on his tactics that day.

Murphy and Lacey would grace any team and there were some other great footballers in there too.

general_lee

He's some one trick pony alright.

1 Donegal SFC
1 u21 Ulster championship
1 u21 All Ireland final
3 USFC
1 All Ireland
1 All Ireland final

Main Street

It was a good trick but he didn't stick it out with Donegal and he could have achieved much with that exceptional bunch of players he helped to mould. There is no way he stands alongside managers like Harte or Boylan, at least not yet

GetOverTheBar

I don't think anyone would seriously argue that one with you Main Street.

But I would ask, would Donegal of 2012 give it to any of Harte or Boylans teams at a similar peak? That's a different one.

marty34

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on January 22, 2021, 09:56:57 AM
I don't think anyone would seriously argue that one with you Main Street.

But I would ask, would Donegal of 2012 give it to any of Harte or Boylans teams at a similar peak? That's a different one.

Hard to know. Jim's training qas very intense so how many more years could he have kept it going?

reillycavan

Quote from: An Watcher on January 15, 2021, 07:00:33 PM
If I remember correctly Joe McMahon was having a great game that day. Think he was marking Murphy. His loss was the losing of that game for tyrone. Everything Jimmy did seemed to come off in those days

John Doyle v Kildare 2011 and Bryan Sheehan v Kerry 2012 were taken out of game. Both prominent freetaker though the Dubs taking out Karl Lacey was game changer in 2011.

J70

Quote from: reillycavan on February 10, 2021, 06:38:46 PM
If I remember correctly Joe McMahon was having a great game that day. Think he was marking Murphy. His loss was the losing of that game for tyrone. Everything Jimmy did seemed to come off in those days

John Doyle v Kildare 2011 and Bryan Sheehan v Kerry 2012 were taken out of game. Both prominent freetaker though the Dubs taking out Karl Lacey was game changer in 2011.

That's strange given that Johnny Doyle was booked late in extra time that day for grabbing Ryan Bradley by the ankles to stop a Donegal break.

Also strange that, if I remember correctly, the man who had collided with Doyle early in the game was Michael Hegarty, about as far from a dirty player as I've ever seen play.

imtommygunn

Was Lacey's injury not a hamstring that he was carrying anyway?

reillycavan

Quote from: J70 on February 10, 2021, 08:43:58 PM
Quote from: reillycavan on February 10, 2021, 06:38:46 PM

That's strange given that Johnny Doyle was booked late in extra time that day for grabbing Ryan Bradley by the ankles to stop a Donegal break.

Also strange that, if I remember correctly, the man who had collided with Doyle early in the game was Michael Hegarty, about as far from a dirty player as I've ever seen play.

Doyle didnt score in game. Was taken off and came back in extra time.  McGuinness spoke in the media prior saying Donegal players were been targeted 🤣🤣🤣

reillycavan

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 10, 2021, 08:52:13 PM
Was Lacey's injury not a hamstring that he was carrying anyway?

No lacey was taken out. Changed the game

imtommygunn

I am not sure you are correct there. He had a knee injury from what I can find on google.I don't recall him being taken out and don't remember any outcry about it.