Laois Senior Football 2017

Started by Tony, October 14, 2016, 11:01:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballyroan Abbey

The point is you give 8 clubs a chance of actually winning something instead of just surviving, creates a competitive championship(senior b) it strengthens laois in the leinster club championship, if i was to harbour a guess your club is probably one that is in danger of been regraded. What do clubs want, to be competing for championships or for quarter finals, then clap themselves on the back and say good year.

High Fielder

And 5 clubs in A with no chance, so what's the point? To facilitate 8 clubs who can't win Senior, along with the other 5, making 13. This solves nothing. A plaster over a gaping wound

Ballyroan Abbey

High Fielder

There isn't one. It is what it is. Portlaoise are dominant and will continue to be because they have the numbers. Same as Dublin. Suck it up and get on with it. Nothing in this will make clubs better.

justinn

Looks like we will be without O Connor, Timmons, Meridith, Quigley, O loughlin, Cahilane, Cotter, O Carroll from last years championship team.

beano

I think it should be given a try, nothing to lose everything to gain! Interesting to note only 7 teams have reached a Semi final since 2000 so it's not like clubs have a chance of winning! With the senior b the champions have a decent chance in leinster which would give them a chance of achieving! A Laois club in Croke park in an intermediate final who soon change attitudes towards a new format! It's a win win for clubs in my opinion!

rodney trotter

Quote from: High Fielder on January 30, 2017, 02:39:58 PM
There isn't one. It is what it is. Portlaoise are dominant and will continue to be because they have the numbers. Same as Dublin. Suck it up and get on with it. Nothing in this will make clubs better.

There should be more then one club in the town of Portlaoise given its size. Most big towns have a couple of clubs.

Unlaoised

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 30, 2017, 07:07:12 PM
Quote from: High Fielder on January 30, 2017, 02:39:58 PM

There should be more then one club in the town of Portlaoise given its size. Most big towns have a couple of clubs.

This
LAOIS ABÚ

the sash

I don't agree with reducing the laois championship to 8 teams, but if they did should they not wait an extra year and when this year is finished take the quarter finalists ,seed them back into the 4 groups of 4 so that the worst teams will sink to the bottom then you could drop your 8. The way the  structure is at the moment the bottom 8 teams might not necessarily be the worst 8 teams. For example if portlaoise draw stradbally and arles kilèen draw st joes in the first round. Then two of those losers draw each other then 1 of the  above teams is automatically a senior b team. So i don't think its quite fair

O moore parklife

Short note. Any club that have amalgamated should automatically be put into this senior b championship. That's 3 straight away. They obviously feel they can't contest on there own so give them a level they can

Saint75

I agree we need less Senior teams.

Why create a new 2nd level?

Just relegate 3 teams every year to intermediate.

I'm not sure if it makes much of a difference overall.

I would dump the Gaels idea.

Create 3 or 4 area teams made up of all clubs bar senior clubs.

All clubs keep there identity and gives every footballer in Laois a chance to play senior football.

Nothing wrong with being a junior or intermediate club.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: the sash on January 30, 2017, 09:11:00 PM
I don't agree with reducing the laois championship to 8 teams, but if they did should they not wait an extra year and when this year is finished take the quarter finalists ,seed them back into the 4 groups of 4 so that the worst teams will sink to the bottom then you could drop your 8. The way the  structure is at the moment the bottom 8 teams might not necessarily be the worst 8 teams. For example if portlaoise draw stradbally and arles kilèen draw st joes in the first round. Then two of those losers draw each other then 1 of the  above teams is automatically a senior b team. So i don't think its quite fair

This to me, is the most important point made so far.
The current system does not really "seed", and luck could play a huge part in this.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Don Draper

Quote from: Saint75 on January 30, 2017, 11:25:20 PM

Just relegate 3 teams every year to intermediate.

I assume "Saint" means St Josephs, and I think we all know what happened the last time they tried to relegate 3 teams in one year.

SCFC

I see the football clubs are happy enough with the SFC structure.

"Insanity - doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results".

Ballyroan Abbey

No club was going to potentially sacrifice their senior status, decisions like these should probably be left out of clubs hands as bad as that sounds