The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StGallsGAA

Quote from: Syferus on April 30, 2018, 11:53:25 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on April 30, 2018, 11:23:45 AM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on April 30, 2018, 10:41:35 AM
word on the street is that there'll be money made available for him to buy. be interestin to see if that happens..

Even if money is available, realistically how many players do they need to be able to compete with Celtic, I would imagine you would be talking 8,9 10?
Do they have that amount of money available? I doubt it.

They're about four games off Celtic and just back from the lower leagues - I think some of the suggestions about how far behind Celtic Rangers are is really fanciful stuff from people who just don't like Rangers.

To put that in perspective, Rangers Old Firm goal difference in past 2 seasons is minus 25.

Syferus

Quote from: StGallsGAA on April 30, 2018, 11:59:04 AM
word on the street is that there'll be money made available for him to buy. be interestin to see if that happens..

Even if money is available, realistically how many players do they need to be able to compete with Celtic, I would imagine you would be talking 8,9 10?

They're about four games off Celtic and just back from the lower leagues - I think some of the suggestions about how far behind Celtic Rangers are is really fanciful stuff from people who just don't like Rangers.

To put that in perspective, Rangers Old Firm goal difference in past 2 seasons is minus 25.

Which is a few games a year and will likely change in Rangers direction again in the coming years if 100 years of history is any indication. People are setting themselves up for a fall if they think Rangers are far off winning a two horse race.

laoislad

Best of luck to him if he goes. I hope he does very well there.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ned

Quote from: Syferus on April 30, 2018, 12:01:41 PM
Quote from: StGallsGAA on April 30, 2018, 11:59:04 AM

Which is a few games a year and will likely change in Rangers direction again in the coming years if 100 years of history is any indication. People are setting themselves up for a fall if they think Rangers are far off winning a two horse race.

Rangers are in a mess financially, again. Unless there is someone willing to lose big money on them, they are hamstrung for the foreseeable. They have only survived the past two seasons due to soft loans from the boardroom, but not from King Funnily enough. Gerrard would be mad to take the job and if he does he has been ill advised or deceived. This year Celtic have cantered to the title, the gap is bigger than it appears. However, a good manager with a clear strategy and style could narrow that gap for rangers. They are more likely to go into administration again than win the title.

Avondhu star

Quote from: Syferus on April 30, 2018, 11:19:22 AM
Quote from: Avondhu star on April 30, 2018, 10:28:53 AM
Quote from: Rittal on April 30, 2018, 09:45:10 AM
Quote from: Minder on April 30, 2018, 09:12:09 AM
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-dismiss-zeljko-buvac-quit-14593526
A job for Gerrard maybe?

I'd say Stevie G would like the chance at management. Rangers are in a bad state at the moment but nothing a few big name signings wouldnt change. Gerrard would have ambitions beyond Glasgow and abit of success there could be used as an entry to the Premiership

Yeah, numerous titles and some CL success in Scotland really landed Lennon a plum PL job. No one in England rates Scottish league success. He'll be getting his next job because he's Steven Gerrard and not because he was successful at Rangers.

Souness got the Liverpool job after his spell at Rangers. Primarily I suspect because he was an Anfield old boy but having a bit of success up North  helped justify the appointment.
The same could happen with Gerrard. Never underestimate the stupidity of the people at the top.
Steve McClaren was appointed English manager on the strenght of a League Cup win with Boro
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

StGallsGAA

Quote from: laoislad on April 30, 2018, 12:09:31 PM
Best of luck to him if he goes. I hope he does very well there.

You would too, while the rest of us hope he make a pig's ear of it and gets them relegated.

Syferus

Quote from: Avondhu star on April 30, 2018, 01:27:10 PM
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-dismiss-zeljko-buvac-quit-14593526
A job for Gerrard maybe?

I'd say Stevie G would like the chance at management. Rangers are in a bad state at the moment but nothing a few big name signings wouldnt change. Gerrard would have ambitions beyond Glasgow and abit of success there could be used as an entry to the Premiership

Yeah, numerous titles and some CL success in Scotland really landed Lennon a plum PL job. No one in England rates Scottish league success. He'll be getting his next job because he's Steven Gerrard and not because he was successful at Rangers.

Souness got the Liverpool job after his spell at Rangers. Primarily I suspect because he was an Anfield old boy but having a bit of success up North  helped justify the appointment.
The same could happen with Gerrard. Never underestimate the stupidity of the people at the top.
Steve McClaren was appointed English manager on the strenght of a League Cup win with Boro

The comparitive quaility of Scottish football to English football has collapsed in the intervening years. Where's the last Celtic manager coaching now? Is Lennon even coaching at all these days?

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on April 30, 2018, 10:10:39 PM
A job for Gerrard maybe?

The comparitive quaility of Scottish football to English football has collapsed in the intervening years. Where's the last Celtic manager coaching now? Is Lennon even coaching at all these days?

Lennon is with Hibs! Beat Celtic last week!

Avondhu star

A job for Gerrard maybe?

Your query about Lennon shows you up to be the buffer we all know you are.
You would be better off discussing the merits of the Ukrainian Tractor Factories League
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Over the Bar

A job for Gerrard maybe?

You'll be asking us was he not shot in NY in the 1980s next....

Syferus

Quote from: Over the Bar on April 30, 2018, 11:13:27 PM
A job for Gerrard maybe?

You're proving my point.

Delia, as it happens, went from coaching Celtic to back to back SPL titles to managing a team in the Norwegian league.

GJL

A job for Gerrard maybe?

Not a f**king clue do you have!!

trileacman

How's coutinho doing at Barca? Do the Spanish rate him? I kinda get the feeling they must feel conned paying £142 million for him whilst Liverpool went out and bought Salah for the sum of money that Barca would occasionally find in their arse pocket.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

ned

Quote from: Syferus on May 01, 2018, 12:17:39 AM
Quote from: Over the Bar on April 30, 2018, 11:13:27 PM
A job for Gerrard maybe?

You're proving my point.

Delia, as it happens, went from coaching Celtic to back to back SPL titles to managing a team in the Norwegian league.

I suspect you knew where Lennon was. Easy for you to slag Scottish football when you have no emotional investment. The standard is poor compared with top teams in England but beyond that the gulf isn't as great as you may think. Unfortunately for the EPL, it's the same managerial merry go round. Hodgson, Allardyce, Moyes, Pardew all continuing to get jobs despite most being dinosaurs.

Gabriel_Hurl

Another gong for Mo

QuoteLiverpool forward Mohamed Salah has been named the Football Writers' Association Footballer of the Year.

Manchester City midfielder Kevin de Bruyne came second with Tottenham striker Harry Kane third.

Salah, 25, has scored 31 goals in 34 league appearances for Liverpool this season.

The Egypt star - the first African winner of the award - also won the Professional Footballers' Association player of the year award in April.

Chelsea and England forward Fran Kirby won the inaugural FWA Women's Footballer of the Year award.

Salah has scored 43 goals in all competitions after signing for £34m from Roma in the summer.

The ex-Chelsea and Basel winger netted twice in the first leg of Liverpool's Champions League semi-final tie with his former club Roma at Anfield last week.

Jurgen Klopp's side travel to the Stadio Olimpico on Wednesday for the return leg with a 5-2 lead over the Italians.

Salah and 26-year-old Belgian De Bruyne collected more than 90% of the votes from members of the Football Writers' Association.