8. Padraig Brennan (Clough-Ballacolla)
9. Cathal Murphy (The Harps)
10. Diarmuid Dooley (Rosenallis)
11. David Dooley (Rosenallis)
12. Tom Fennelly (Rosenallis)
13. Noah Quinlan (Borris-Kilcotton)
14. Cillian Dunne (Clough-Ballacolla)
15. Cody Comerford (The Harps)

Very strong defence with a nice mix of power and pace.
Aaron Phelan is a really good centre-back and though Aodh Bowes would probably prefer to play there too; he has the physicality to be an excellent full-back.
Conway and Phelan are front-foot defenders with loads of pace and Philip Tynan is a very solid all-rounder.
Where Lawson Obular was picked was always going to be interesting, he's a fabulous prospect and I'd have been tempted to go with him at full-forward. I think, however, he sees himself as a defender and his surges forward could be eye-catching.

Really good midfield; both Murphy and Brennan are strong, athletic and can score from range. Brennan is probably a defender moreso than a midfielder but he is a classy hurler and a fine choice of captain. I really like that midfield actually.

Noah Quinlan named at corner-forward is also interesting; he's very-highly rated in Borris/Kilcotton and could play in any position. I actually thought he'd start midfield. He'll carry a massive threat if he plays in the full-forward line. Cillian Dunne will thrive on good ball and is an excellent free-taker. Diarmuid Dooley is one of the most improved hurlers around and his athleticism is a real asset. His older brother David is a natural centre-forward and will be a real goal threat with his direct running. Tom Fennelly is very athletic and strong; he'll cover a lot of ground and his delivery should be very good. Cody Comerford is another really versatile hurler with huge potential.

I think 10 of the team were on the panel at some stage last year with Comerford, Diarmaid Dooley and Phelan the only three starters underage next year, though I'm open to correction on that.

Jim O' Connor and Joe Corby are two losses but we still have really good options with DJ White, Cian Conroy, Padraig Rafter, Barry Fitzpatrick, Brian Duggan, Colin Byrne, Greg Cuddy and Sam Quinn surely very close.

Offaly reckon they have a very strong team and will relish coming in against a Derek McGrath-coached Laois team with a bit of a reputation. They'll be very competitive and if Laois are anyway complacent, they will take us.

There is also a small cohort around our own county that seem resentful of this management group so there is a degree of pressure on them to perform.
I hope they will.

Best of luck to everyone involved.

Keyser Söze

In fairness Merman I don't think there are many hurling people in Laois (if any) who would want anything but success for a Laois minor team.
This core of this management team haven't always acted in the best interests of Laois hurling over the past 2/3 years in my option. That's an opinion. And I'd have preferred if they hadn't got the job. But personally, speaking at least, I certainly am not waiting for them to fail.
From all accounts the players have been really impressed with the set up & McGrath has been heavily involved (again something I would have been sceptical of). 
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

merman

Quote from: Keyser Söze on October 17, 2020, 01:54:44 PM
In fairness Merman I don't think there are many hurling people in Laois (if any) who would want anything but success for a Laois minor team.

I'm sure that's true but there will be knives out if this team underperform....which is a ridiculous sentence to write about a minor hurling team.

clonadmad

An absolute shambles of a streaming effort,constantly stalling and breaking down

Not worth the fiver

Keyser Söze

Mine has been excellent quality? Way better than any of Laois TV ones so far. Could just be internet provider?

Keyser Söze

Very hard to see a win from here. Def going to need a goal given the scoring rate so far

clonadmad

Quote from: Keyser Söze on October 17, 2020, 03:00:02 PM
Mine has been excellent quality? Way better than any of Laois TV ones so far. Could just be internet provider?

Back on track now,don't know what it was

clonadmad

Bet by double scores

Another false dawn

SpeculativeEffort

Hugely disappointing. Laois just never got going. Offaly played some lovely hurling with Carey,egan and Quinn the main threats for them. We struggled to win ball and create space. At times with our running we crowded out our own players. A half back ran in first half, lost the ball and offaly played low ball thru the missing hb position for a point. That summed it up for me.

merman

Offaly full-value for their win. Poor performance.

Keyser Söze

You couldn't buy think back to the 90s & early 00s when Laois underage teams would be considered highly rated but year after year seemed to fall flat against Offaly.

redsetanta

Disaster of a result. As soon as we talk a team up they're k ocked back. Will be classed as a poor year. Derek McGrath migh leave that one off his cv.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

merman

We certainly don't handle expectation well.
Offaly relish knocking us down a peg or two.
And that's not a slight on Offaly who played by far the better hurling.