Who is the most bitter after Dubs do 5 in a row

Started by dublin7, September 15, 2019, 06:22:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: TheGreatest on September 17, 2019, 10:54:59 AM
Quote from: highorlow on September 17, 2019, 07:49:48 AM
Good piece by McStay. Himself and Canavan are the only ex players so far (that I've heard) to sort of tell it as it is.

He says in his piece that it's no coincidence that Kerry didn't score in the last 15 minutes, any other opposition team rarely scores against them in the last 15 in the championship.

Wrong, Canavan said teams must match Dublin off the field, the template for what they do off the field must be followed and then discussed Culllen coming from Leinster Rugby to Dublin, but the opposite happened in Tyrone, he is calling from more of a professional approach at board level, and from what i seen a lot of people agree with him.
How can they match the Dubs off the field ?
It's not a professional sport.

the Dubs

get EUR 1.2 m as a disadvantaged area under the GAA CAP scheme
Have the biggest pick
Have the largest sponsorship deal

how are Laois /Down/Ros supposed to compete with that ?   
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

TheGreatest

Quote from: seafoid on September 17, 2019, 02:24:14 PM
Quote from: TheGreatest on September 17, 2019, 10:54:59 AM
Quote from: highorlow on September 17, 2019, 07:49:48 AM
Good piece by McStay. Himself and Canavan are the only ex players so far (that I've heard) to sort of tell it as it is.

He says in his piece that it's no coincidence that Kerry didn't score in the last 15 minutes, any other opposition team rarely scores against them in the last 15 in the championship.

Wrong, Canavan said teams must match Dublin off the field, the template for what they do off the field must be followed and then discussed Culllen coming from Leinster Rugby to Dublin, but the opposite happened in Tyrone, he is calling from more of a professional approach at board level, and from what i seen a lot of people agree with him.
How can they match the Dubs off the field ?
It's not a professional sport.

the Dubs

get EUR 1.2 m as a disadvantaged area under the GAA CAP scheme
Have the biggest pick
Have the largest sponsorship deal

how are Laois /Down/Ros supposed to compete with that ?

Ask Peter Canavan. I am just telling you what he said and his dissapointment loosing a good S&C like Peter Donnelly, but looks like there is someone coming the other way now so rectified.

Hound

Quote from: joemamas on September 17, 2019, 01:46:59 PM
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/columnists/kieran-shannon/the-kieran-shannon-interview-the-real-jackanory-behind-dublins-perfect-storm-942964.html

Philip McElwee during his spell as Na Fianna manager
The big change came when the funding came through in 2004, 2005. All of a sudden you had 40-45 coaches. Instead of having to go around to 10 clubs, you only had to focus on one or two. These days I'd be employed by the club, not the county board, while Niall [Corcoran, Kilmacud's hurling officer] is funded through the GDO scheme, which is half-funded by the board and half-funded by the club."

Don't want to give a lazy analysis, but how the heck could any county compete with that.
seriously, even the most unrealistic Dublin supporter has to acknowledge the above, or even Croke Park, then again maybe not !
You read the whole article and you picked that out as the most important?
Fair enough.

Kilmacud are a massive club. Huge membership. Those members fund half the wages of a hurling GDO and all the wages of Pauric McDonald. There's only a small number of Dublin clubs that can compete with that, I doubt any non-Dublin can. They also have probably the largest number of volunteers giving up their free time than any other club in Ireland. And a significant proportion of those are non-Dubs!   

Hound

Quote from: seafoid on September 17, 2019, 01:30:33 PM
Quote from: Hound on September 17, 2019, 12:50:59 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 17, 2019, 09:23:16 AM
Quote from: Hound on September 17, 2019, 09:16:03 AM
McStay's a waffler. When he's making a point that might be contentious, he doesn't have the gumption to make it himself, he puts the credit/blame on someone else, like Whelan and Canavan above. 

McStay was on one of the preview podcasts before the Mayo v Donegal game. Someone else suggested match-ups for Mayo defenders to pick up the Donegal forwards. McStay added a couple of comments to support the suggested match-ups. Then the presenter said to him, "what about the match-ups down the other end?". McStay himmmed and hawwed for a couple of seconds, then said "ah, I wouldn't know enough about the Donegal defenders". 

Like FFS. Not only a paid analyst, but he's just out of being an intercounty manager!!

QuoteOverall, it was a strange evening. An All-Ireland final on a Sunday at half-past three is a national occasion. It is a ceremony that dominates the day. A replay is different. Saturday night at six o'clock: the world is getting ready to go out on the town. There was no minor match, no crowd gathering in the stadium and the overall sense of the evening was: this very important game needs a resolution. But the sense of occasion was absent. So I have a strong, strong sense that the All-Irelands should go back to September and that any replay should be on a Sunday. The scale of Dublin's achievement deserved a bigger occasion.

As someone who was at the game, the above from his article today is complete and utter nonsense. Drivel.

Ad hom, Hound
Sign of a weak argument/unwillingness to engage

Address the points, not McStay.
My post was about McStay! A bluffer.

If there were any other points in his rambling article, are you seriously suggesting I haven't addressed them already? Feckin countless times!

Here's the article that sums up my position. Have a read.
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/columnists/kieran-shannon/the-kieran-shannon-interview-the-real-jackanory-behind-dublins-perfect-storm-942964.html
You're spoofing
Again
you've never made a single contribution of your own opinion, never got into a debate in any depth with anyone ever, and you've the cheek to post that.
You're a complete bore.
Thankfully we've got the ignore function so I'm not putting myself through any more of your soundbytes.

seafoid

Quote from: Hound on September 17, 2019, 02:54:01 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 17, 2019, 01:30:33 PM
Quote from: Hound on September 17, 2019, 12:50:59 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 17, 2019, 09:23:16 AM
Quote from: Hound on September 17, 2019, 09:16:03 AM
McStay's a waffler. When he's making a point that might be contentious, he doesn't have the gumption to make it himself, he puts the credit/blame on someone else, like Whelan and Canavan above. 

McStay was on one of the preview podcasts before the Mayo v Donegal game. Someone else suggested match-ups for Mayo defenders to pick up the Donegal forwards. McStay added a couple of comments to support the suggested match-ups. Then the presenter said to him, "what about the match-ups down the other end?". McStay himmmed and hawwed for a couple of seconds, then said "ah, I wouldn't know enough about the Donegal defenders". 

Like FFS. Not only a paid analyst, but he's just out of being an intercounty manager!!

QuoteOverall, it was a strange evening. An All-Ireland final on a Sunday at half-past three is a national occasion. It is a ceremony that dominates the day. A replay is different. Saturday night at six o'clock: the world is getting ready to go out on the town. There was no minor match, no crowd gathering in the stadium and the overall sense of the evening was: this very important game needs a resolution. But the sense of occasion was absent. So I have a strong, strong sense that the All-Irelands should go back to September and that any replay should be on a Sunday. The scale of Dublin's achievement deserved a bigger occasion.

As someone who was at the game, the above from his article today is complete and utter nonsense. Drivel.

Ad hom, Hound
Sign of a weak argument/unwillingness to engage

Address the points, not McStay.
My post was about McStay! A bluffer.

If there were any other points in his rambling article, are you seriously suggesting I haven't addressed them already? Feckin countless times!

Here's the article that sums up my position. Have a read.
You're spoofing
Again
you've never made a single contribution of your own opinion, never got into a debate in any depth with anyone ever, and you've the cheek to post that.
You're a complete bore.
Thankfully we've got the ignore function so I'm not putting myself through any more of your soundbytes.
More nonsense from
you, Hound.
Can't wait to see the Dubs split into 4

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: TheGreatest on September 17, 2019, 01:44:45 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on September 17, 2019, 01:07:09 PM
faWhatever about the pub scene in Dublin post match, I've been at a good few All Ireland finals in both codes as neutral and as partisan supporter, there was no real sense of the enormity of what this Dublin team has achieved at the end of the match in terms of an emotional outpouring from their ns. Was a far better atmosphere in the ground during the drawn match when there was a real sense of jeopardy, once O'Brien made a hames of the Kerry goal chance there was no real sign of Kerry actually winning the match at all, I thought Dublin were very comfortable 2nd half. Some Dubs fans were streaming out of the ground as soon as the match finished, it's absolutely become routine to win Sam for them and whether this was the 5 in a row or not wasn't impacting on the overall atmosphere and excitement in my opinion.

There is a lot of talk about a golden Dublin generation but at the end of the day some of the absolute stalwarts from the start of this run have been phased out and the average starting age is coming down not going up. What other county could so easily cope with the loss of the prototypical modern footballer in Paul Flynn, an absolute Rolls Royce of a player. Likewise with Connolly, the Brogans, O'Sullivan, McMahon, etc. - we were told this was just a once off batch of talent, all have been or are in the process of being phased out without any impact on the team. O'Callaghan, Mannion, Howard, Scully, Murchan have slotted in and the likes of Archer are coming down the tracks as well. Cluxton remains imperious even at 37 and will be the most difficult to replace if he goes, the ongoing disgrace that is his lack of an All Star since 2013 - with all due respect to Beggan and Clarke, it is a bizarre situation - will surely be rectified this year. Even without Cluxton there, it will merely mean that Dublin probably just have an adequate to good keeper between the sticks - much like every other county.

Expecting Dublin to come back to the pack is a pipe dream, while I cannot imagine that they will win every single year, they will remain the major player in the sport for the foreseeable. It is interesting to hear Eamonn FitzMaurice say that for this Kerry team having not prevented the five in a row that:
Quote"the roll of honour is a more important thing to protect and that becomes a challenge for the next decade".
It would have been unthinkable at the turn of this decade to envision Kerry's status at the top being challenged, I would venture that it is now inevitable that Dublin will overtake them at some point in the next (at the very latest) 25 years.

Even if Kerry win the next one or a few in the next 10 years, the range of winners and different final matchups that we saw in the 90's and 2000's seem like a very distant and almost quaint memory at this remove. What good is it to see the Dublin and Kerry duopoly continue to an even greater extent than it has already over the course of the last 130 odd years?
The lack of professionalism and rank bad planning in other counties is certainly something that not Dublin's fault, clearly not all counties are operating to the optimum level, some of the county boards are not fit for purpose, but even those organised well are battling with constraints and issues that will never impact Dublin, they will never be in a position to exploit the same advantages that Dublin have no matter what is done.
No one from Dublin is going to acknowledge that there is any problem with the current situation, that is just natural human bias, I'm 100% certain that if my own county were in Dublin's shoes at the moment I wouldn't give a toss what anyone outside of the county thought either.
Dublin have organised themselves to the best of their ability but the GAA must know that it is an unsustainable situation if the current pattern continues, what will they do if the All Ireland series starts to resemble the Leinster football championship? I truly hope that a more balanced championship will return and that we will see other counties getting to and winning All Ireland's but it is only a hope, if the GAA are reliant on the same thing, good luck to them.

While i respect your opinion and your enititled to it, its wrong. As stated above, the sense of enormity was there and there was outpouring of it afterwards.

While i understand your not a Dub true diehard like myself, pershaps its difficult to understand it.

Sure even Jim Gavin did a lap of Croke Park for the first time after victory  ;)

Being a Dub or not has got nothing to do with it to be honest, it's not too difficult to assess the emotion and mood of a crowd post match, it's self evident. The outpouring was absolutely nothing compared to 2011, what Dubs were strolling out of the ground as soon as the full time whistle went that day? Or even the 2016 replay which certainly had a far better post match atmosphere than last Saturday evening. Maybe that wasn't your personal experience but it was plain to be seen on the day.

seafoid

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on September 17, 2019, 03:05:16 PM
faWhatever about the pub scene in Dublin post match, I've been at a good few All Ireland finals in both codes as neutral and as partisan supporter, there was no real sense of the enormity of what this Dublin team has achieved at the end of the match in terms of an emotional outpouring from their ns. Was a far better atmosphere in the ground during the drawn match when there was a real sense of jeopardy, once O'Brien made a hames of the Kerry goal chance there was no real sign of Kerry actually winning the match at all, I thought Dublin were very comfortable 2nd half. Some Dubs fans were streaming out of the ground as soon as the match finished, it's absolutely become routine to win Sam for them and whether this was the 5 in a row or not wasn't impacting on the overall atmosphere and excitement in my opinion.

There is a lot of talk about a golden Dublin generation but at the end of the day some of the absolute stalwarts from the start of this run have been phased out and the average starting age is coming down not going up. What other county could so easily cope with the loss of the prototypical modern footballer in Paul Flynn, an absolute Rolls Royce of a player. Likewise with Connolly, the Brogans, O'Sullivan, McMahon, etc. - we were told this was just a once off batch of talent, all have been or are in the process of being phased out without any impact on the team. O'Callaghan, Mannion, Howard, Scully, Murchan have slotted in and the likes of Archer are coming down the tracks as well. Cluxton remains imperious even at 37 and will be the most difficult to replace if he goes, the ongoing disgrace that is his lack of an All Star since 2013 - with all due respect to Beggan and Clarke, it is a bizarre situation - will surely be rectified this year. Even without Cluxton there, it will merely mean that Dublin probably just have an adequate to good keeper between the sticks - much like every other county.

Expecting Dublin to come back to the pack is a pipe dream, while I cannot imagine that they will win every single year, they will remain the major player in the sport for the foreseeable. It is interesting to hear Eamonn FitzMaurice say that for this Kerry team having not prevented the five in a row that:
Quote"the roll of honour is a more important thing to protect and that becomes a challenge for the next decade".
It would have been unthinkable at the turn of this decade to envision Kerry's status at the top being challenged, I would venture that it is now inevitable that Dublin will overtake them at some point in the next (at the very latest) 25 years.

Even if Kerry win the next one or a few in the next 10 years, the range of winners and different final matchups that we saw in the 90's and 2000's seem like a very distant and almost quaint memory at this remove. What good is it to see the Dublin and Kerry duopoly continue to an even greater extent than it has already over the course of the last 130 odd years?
The lack of professionalism and rank bad planning in other counties is certainly something that not Dublin's fault, clearly not all counties are operating to the optimum level, some of the county boards are not fit for purpose, but even those organised well are battling with constraints and issues that will never impact Dublin, they will never be in a position to exploit the same advantages that Dublin have no matter what is done.
No one from Dublin is going to acknowledge that there is any problem with the current situation, that is just natural human bias, I'm 100% certain that if my own county were in Dublin's shoes at the moment I wouldn't give a toss what anyone outside of the county thought either.
Dublin have organised themselves to the best of their ability but the GAA must know that it is an unsustainable situation if the current pattern continues, what will they do if the All Ireland series starts to resemble the Leinster football championship? I truly hope that a more balanced championship will return and that we will see other counties getting to and winning All Ireland's but it is only a hope, if the GAA are reliant on the same thing, good luck to them.

While i respect your opinion and your enititled to it, its wrong. As stated above, the sense of enormity was there and there was outpouring of it afterwards.

While i understand your not a Dub true diehard like myself, pershaps its difficult to understand it.

Sure even Jim Gavin did a lap of Croke Park for the first time after victory  ;)

Being a Dub or not has got nothing to do with it to be honest, it's not too difficult to assess the emotion and mood of a crowd post match, it's self evident. The outpouring was absolutely nothing compared to 2011, what Dubs were strolling out of the ground as soon as the full time whistle went that day? Or even the 2016 replay which certainly had a far better post match atmosphere than last Saturday evening. Maybe that wasn't your personal experience but it was plain to be seen on the day.

The video at this link shows the excitement in 2005 when the Dubs beat Laois by a point in the Leinster final
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0622/1056894-gaa-see-dublin-as-blueprint-for-future-not-the-problem/

magpie seanie

People need to stop moaning and whinging. Dublin can only put 15 players on a field at one time. You know who don't moan? Kerry. They just play football and only blame themsleves when they lose. They play club football all year round and don't hold up leagues/championships so certain fellas are available. That's why they've 37 football titles. They saw the Dublin train coming so what did they do - instead of crying and moaning they really went at it at underage, winning 5 in a row after they'd no minor in ages. Not only did they do that but they used their junior team as a bridge to senior. They came within a whisker of derailing Dublin with a very young team including a supposedly poor defence. They were written off in April and in June but kept working at it and improved.

That's not to say Dublin don't have advantages but they've always had money and they've always had huge population. The coaching grants are proportional on a per capita basis and to be honest - if they weren't put in place the capital could well be a no go place for gaelic games. Remember, even with the increased participation, the rates of participation in Dublin still lag behind the national average. From a social perspective we need a Dublin that is more similar to the rest of the country than not, given the ridiculous population imbalance there is. The population is a social and planning issue which has been ignored for generations. It's funny how it takes 5 in a row in football to make people realise this. Travel expenses are an anomaly that need to be addressed. Dublin don't have any (relatively) so that imbalance needs to be addressed. Super 8's will be gone after next year so the unfair home and neutral venue being the same will be removed. I also think ALL sponsorship monies should be pooled in some fashion - sponsors wouldn't pay up if Dublin had no one to play against. However, I don't really believe the top counties aren't adequately resourced to take on Dublin. The role of Jim Gavin and his coaches is severly understated in all of this. Plus a very well run county board who got their act together, made plans and stuck to them.

This is a golden era for Dublin. People in the 80's probably thought we'd never see Kerry bettered but it happened quickly. Lets see where the next 5 years brings us.

Hound

Agree with all that Seanie. The travelling expenses definitely needs a more equitable solution.

The S8 is an interesting one re Croke Park. Totally agree that Dublin should only have one game in Croker.
But if we go back to straight quarter-finals, the history of the QFs is that the Leinster champion always played their QF in Croker (and that wasn't always Dublin in the early years).
Dublin (as a Leinster loser) played Kerry (as Munster champions) in Semple Stadium one year, which was absolutely fair enough. The replay was also in Semple, interestingly.

But if we revert to QFs, then I'd imagine Croke Park will be the main venue again. Maybe home advantage for the provincial winners would be better, so if there was a repeat of the above it would be in Killarney rather than Thurles. But perhaps it would be more equitable to continue with the S8 if Dubs get just one game in Croker and 2 away/neutral ?
(I think it would be fanciful to expect Congress to vote that Dublin should play a single QF outside of Croker as Leinster champions).

MC

I do not think this can be a simple parallel drawn with Kerry's history and experience.
Even in their prime decades they didn't dominate as much as Dublin have in this decade - and in this time there have been a few more counties trying to develop, raise their own bar and compete - the fact that they are not even getting close speaks volumes.
Only that Dublin were ambushed by Mc Guinness we would already be looking at 7-in-a-row.

Kerry were a great team in those decades - just as Dublin are a great team this decade - but it felt as though the odds were not artificially stacked in Kerry's favour then - with population, financial sponsorship, club finance, travel, home advantage, grants, etc.

That's not to be bitter about the Dublin team per se - they are phenomenal to watch - but we need a few teams to be phenomenal to make the championship interesting. Watching Dublin beat the spread will quickly get boring even for the most avid fans.
Just look at the Scottish Premier League to see how it actually belittles the achievements of the winners.
Imagine if there were another three teams at any time at a similar level to Dublin and what that would do for the game.

I realise the particular issues (certainly historically) with Dublin and why the GAA wanted to fund and develop the games.
You can question the benefits of that funding and direct impact on the current team, but the infrastructure is now in place for Dublin to reap the benefits of for many years to come - combined with many of their existing natural advantages.

The question now is what message does the GAA want to deliver to the other counties - what is their strategy to level the playing field over the next ten years - not to bring Dublin down but to bring the others up?

TheGreatest

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on September 17, 2019, 03:05:16 PM

Nothing will ever beat 2011, Over the last few weeks and over the weekend the only All Ireland since then that has come close is this one. Agree to disagree.

highorlow

QuoteKilmacud are a massive club. Huge membership. Those members fund half the wages of a hurling GDO and all the wages of Pauric McDonald. There's only a small number of Dublin clubs that can compete with that, I doubt any non-Dublin can. They also have probably the largest number of volunteers giving up their free time than any other club in Ireland. And a significant proportion of those are non-Dubs!   

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/all-ireland-final-replay-james-mccarthy-a-central-pillar-of-dublin-s-towering-empire-1.4017404

When Paddy Christie got a group of players together to send a volt of energy and purpose through Ballymun's underage structure, it coincided with the arrival of James Glancy, the Leitrim footballer, as coaching officer in the area. Glancy sometimes coached the club's minor team and noticed two tall and conspicuously talented teenagers always knocking about together. He didn't know who they were until he asked and found out that they were Barney Rock's and John McCarthy's young lads.

Glancy was there to witness their progression through Jim Gavin's All-Ireland winning under-21 team in 2010 to the Dublin teams that have dominated this decade at All-Ireland senior level.

When he thinks of McCarthy as a minor, he instantly sees "a long stringy lad". But in the years after Glancy arrived, the Kickhams got gym equipment into the clubhouse upstairs and burned out plenty of light bulbs over the following winters. [/i]

Glad you now agree population is an advantage. I suppose Ballymun Kichams are huge as well. They too could afford a GDO. Lookit, fair play to Dublin, no one here is saying what they achieved isn't something special, it clearly is.

But if all the senior clubs in every other county in the country have the benefits of a GDO and gym equipment that is fully funded without having to have fundraisers it might be a good start. You must agree with that?

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

dublin7

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 17, 2019, 11:11:28 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 17, 2019, 09:40:27 AM
Apart from Dublin GAA circles (naturally enough) and the Croke Park hierarchy there's little interest and certainly no excitement about the Final or the 5 in a row.
It's just all so predictable and inevitable like if  Real Madrid were in the Irish Soccer League.
The rest of us are getting on with Club championships while Co Boards are trying to come up with more and ever more fundraising initiatives to try and pay for their inter Co teams and managers.
They have just about enough time and energy left for the mundane tasks of administering GAA affairs in the County.
Funny you say that...
I mentioned on the AI thread on Saturday morning that I never saw such little interest in the final here in my part of Dublin and as far as I could see, the same could be said about the entire city.
Three were far fewer flags hanging out of windows and very little bunting strung up either. Most of the decorations anyway were now new- leftovers from other years.
A local barman told me that there were less than a dozen punters in the pub at closing time Saturday night and every one of them was a regular anyway.
He had a good crowd for the game and he sold a fair amount of drink but the place was back to normal by 9 o'clock. In recent years it would be well after one before the pub would be cleared and he'd have sold more than twice as much.
Maybe the whole goddamn lot of them are saving up for the fix for six. ;D

People need only look at the sports file pictures to see what this meant to Dublin players and fans. Any dubs fans I know far prefer sat night games for replays to Sunday, although this clearly didn't  suit Kerry fans. Any sports event is better under lights and Sat night was no different. Atmosphere at the start was electric. Also why would people buy new flags/bunting when they can just use the previous years?? That's just common sense.

You can't compare Dublin to other counties when it comes to decorations for finals. People complained about Dublin flags flying on the Liffey so now all counties playing in Croker get a flag put up. People also complained about the giant dublin flags on hapenny and Fairview bridges and they had to be taken down as well. Other counties don't have that problem as at least 90% of the population are from the county.

Your local pub might have been quiet but I can assure you the city centre and surrounding bars were full of celebrating Dublin fans AND players well into Sunday morning.

Some people are only happy when they're moaning and to even acknowledge anything positive about Dublin GAA seems to cause them pain.

From the Bunker

Quote from: dublin7 on September 17, 2019, 08:15:15 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 17, 2019, 11:11:28 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 17, 2019, 09:40:27 AM
Apart from Dublin GAA circles (naturally enough) and the Croke Park hierarchy there's little interest and certainly no excitement about the Final or the 5 in a row.
It's just all so predictable and inevitable like if  Real Madrid were in the Irish Soccer League.
The rest of us are getting on with Club championships while Co Boards are trying to come up with more and ever more fundraising initiatives to try and pay for their inter Co teams and managers.
They have just about enough time and energy left for the mundane tasks of administering GAA affairs in the County.
Funny you say that...
I mentioned on the AI thread on Saturday morning that I never saw such little interest in the final here in my part of Dublin and as far as I could see, the same could be said about the entire city.
Three were far fewer flags hanging out of windows and very little bunting strung up either. Most of the decorations anyway were now new- leftovers from other years.
A local barman told me that there were less than a dozen punters in the pub at closing time Saturday night and every one of them was a regular anyway.
He had a good crowd for the game and he sold a fair amount of drink but the place was back to normal by 9 o'clock. In recent years it would be well after one before the pub would be cleared and he'd have sold more than twice as much.
Maybe the whole goddamn lot of them are saving up for the fix for six. ;D

People need only look at the sports file pictures to see what this meant to Dublin players and fans. Any dubs fans I know far prefer sat night games for replays to Sunday, although this clearly didn't  suit Kerry fans. Any sports event is better under lights and Sat night was no different. Atmosphere at the start was electric. Also why would people buy new flags/bunting when they can just use the previous years?? That's just common sense.

You can't compare Dublin to other counties when it comes to decorations for finals. People complained about Dublin flags flying on the Liffey so now all counties playing in Croker get a flag put up. People also complained about the giant dublin flags on hapenny and Fairview bridges and they had to be taken down as well. Other counties don't have that problem as at least 90% of the population are from the county.

Your local pub might have been quiet but I can assure you the city centre and surrounding bars were full of celebrating Dublin fans AND players well into Sunday morning.

Some people are only happy when they're moaning and to even acknowledge anything positive about Dublin GAA seems to cause them pain.

There seemed to be a sense of relief for most of the players and I'd say this was the case for most of the fans. Both parties knew this team/squad were well good enough to make history, but feared an ambush.