Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Was talking to a work colleague of mine today, Was a Crokes player but has moved out of Dublin a few years, was telling me that Crokes had/have a Minor e team! A fifth tier minor team! Wtf

Even before Dublins dominance he says they have 5,000 plus members!

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

From the Bunker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 29, 2021, 07:25:29 PM
Was talking to a work colleague of mine today, Was a Crokes player but has moved out of Dublin a few years, was telling me that Crokes had/have a Minor e team! A fifth tier minor team! Wtf

Where have you been the last decade? The moon?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 29, 2021, 08:20:22 PM

I keen the 'super' clubs had big numbers, but keeping 5 minor teams going is impressive
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Baile Brigín 2

Is this genuinely news? They have a cachement area bigger than many counties

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on January 29, 2021, 09:44:12 PM

I see no reason why it shouldn't be.
Remember the fuss last year when a proposal emerged to take over the Na Fianna pitch on Mobhi Road in order to build a Metro North rail station?
The chairman said at the time that their club premises were used by over 2,000 kids at weekends.
Going back to 2003 (?) when the Strategic Review Committee published its report, the claim was made that each of 5 Dublin clubs (including Crokes) fielded more juvenile payers than any of five counties, Sligo, Roscommon, Leitrim, Longford and Fermanagh.
A Skerries Harps committee member told me once that the club fielded a total of 77 teams.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Main Street

Quote from: Lar Naparka on January 29, 2021, 09:59:53 PM

Remember the fuss last year when a proposal emerged to take over the Na Fianna pitch on Mobhi Road in order to build a Metro North rail station?
The chairman said at the time that their club premises were used by over 2,000 kids at weekends.
Going back to 2003 (?) when the Strategic Review Committee published its report, the claim was made that each of 5 Dublin clubs (including Crokes) fielded more juvenile payers than any of five counties, Sligo, Roscommon, Leitrim, Longford and Fermanagh.
A Skerries Harps committee member told me once that the club fielded a total of 77 teams.
Hearsay

Rossfan

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 29, 2021, 08:20:22 PM

He's belatedly seeing the light .
Now if only the Leinster Chairman would take his head out of the stand and write his own speech......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Main Street on January 29, 2021, 10:53:05 PM

Hearsay
Depends on what you mean by hearsay.
The chairman on Na Fianna at the time issued a statement that was reported by RTE News, amongst news outlets and was subsequently repeated by Paschal Donohoe, the Finance Minister, that's on the record too.

TheGreatest

Quote from: Lar Naparka on January 30, 2021, 03:48:47 PM

Hearsay
The chairman on Na Fianna at the time issued a statement that was reported by RTE News, amongst news outlets and was subsequently repeated by Paschal Donohoe, the Finance Minister, that's on the record too.

Id say that is close to accurate, across all ages and codes including camogie and ladies football. But this is nothing new, the Super club... The problem is keeping them all into adult games and most juveniles are playing multiple sports... etc.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: TheGreatest on February 01, 2021, 07:52:18 AM

Hearsay

Id say that is close to accurate, across all ages and codes including camogie and ladies football.
But this is nothing new, the Super club... The problem is keeping them all into adult games and most juveniles are playing multiple sports... etc.
That I'd say is true in the case of Skerries Harps but Na Fianna emphasised that the figure of 2,000 were juveniles only. (Personally, I can't see how they fit them in .)
You can take it that it is true because back when the SRC report came out in 2003, the point was emphasised that 5 Dublin clubs could each field more juveniles that any of the 5 midwest counties. Leitrim, Roscommon, Fermanagh, Cavan and Longford. (I think Sligo got a mention here too.)
The clubs, IIRC, were Vincents, Thomas Davis, Crokes and Brigids.
But Gaelic clubs are structured like pyramids with very broad bases but as you money up towards the pinnacle, the room for players gets less and less. If Na FIanna have 20,00 kids at weekends and that's what JImmy Grey, the chairman, and Pascal Donohoe both claimed , there won't be 200 around when they reach u20 and above.
THe Dublin mammy, looks on the local club as an ideal place to keep her kids occupied during the summer camps and the clubs field multiple teams at the early levels but the drop out as the kids get older and the number of teams row less. Lots of kids drop out because the ma feels they can be let out to play on the street and saves her the money to send them to summer cúl camps.
The thing to stress is that those parents don't support the club in any way by way of club memberships or fundraising drives and that's a major reason why so many big clubs are short of cash.
Running multiple juvenile clubs cost money and there is nothing coming in to offset it.
Soccer is structured much differently. There are loads of local leagues and kids can find their level in  a number of clubs local to their area. At the most basic level, all a club needs is a joint lease on a City Council pitch and a disused lorry container parke on the side of the pitch.
Generally, all the kids go to the same school or at least play together on the road so they know each other well and very often its a parent or a neighbour who manages the team.
Those scores of mini clubs can get through to young people in a way big, impersonal super clubs cannot.

highorlow

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/the-dubs-and-money-q-a-pat-teehan-v-john-connellan-1.4470939

Good read on the debate between Teehan and Connellan in Saturday's times. Teehan admitting the overfunding to Dublin by comparison to others (particularly urban areas outside Dublin) but at the same time is prepared to let it continue.

It's a pity Connellan wasn't on the SG that evening last year with Gilroy instead of a fairly weak McEntee.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Rossfan

Teehans speech was probably written by Horan or Costello ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Main Street

Hearsay
I was just joking, anticipating the counter argument.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Main Street on February 01, 2021, 04:43:50 PM

Hearsay
I was just joking, anticipating the counter argument.
No prob ;D ;D
To be honest, I'd didn't know how to take you. I decided to play it safe but I felt you mightn't be 100% serious.