Offaly 70k
Laois 75k
Carlow 50k

Multiply x2 = Dublin.

* includes around 30k who would be very "GAA minded"
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

What's the GAA playing population of Dublin?

Also, Dublin has always had a bigger population than every other county.

Seems strange that it's become an issue, or because Dublin has utilised it's numbers, I'd have thought this was always going to happen once they got their shit together.

The funding should be be fixed better, but due to the size of the playing numbers, Dublin clubs will get more funding.

In respect of sponsorship, the big sponsors will always go winning teams, Arnotts sponsorship was a long one if I remember, was it the best in the country at the time?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

northsideboy

Some points here about the population of Dublin and the relative lack of penetration of the GAA there. Traditionally GAA would be a minority in Dublin compared to rugby in middle and upper class areas and soccer in working class areas.
Balbriggan which has a population of almost 22,000 in the 2016 census has one GAA club currently competing at Junior level in adult competition and I think plays at Division.6 in league. Tallaght with a population of 76,000 has two clubs competing at senior adult men's level in football. Clondalkin with a population of 47,000 has one club.There is an absolute multitude of soccer clubs in these areas.
If you take a DART from say Pearse to Dalkey, you encounter two GAA clubs, Clann na nGael in Ringsend which traditionally would have many non Dubs amongst it players and Cuala which has got its act together incredibly well in recent times in fairness. Yet it has many rugby clubs and schools that discriminate openly against Gaelic games.
If anything the GAA has gone into decline in some areas, reflected for example in how some colleges previously competitive at provincial level now play at Dublin 'C' level. In fact only about 5 or 6 schools now play at 'A' level.
About the GPOs, I know of one who spends a significant amount of time in schools for children with learning difficulties, encouraging movement and participation at a most basic level. We're not talking about All Ireland winners here and that is the case in terms of a sizable portion of the work that GPOs do.
Of course that these facts don't suit some of the begrudgery, wumming and in some cases, unhinged bitterness that some people come out with.
Have a lovely New Year everyone.

caprea

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 27, 2020, 10:22:37 AM

Seems strange that it's become an issue.

Dublin always had a population advantage and utilized it to become by far the second most successful football county, second only to Kerry.

Now Dublin's population has exploded since 1990. With a lot of rural inward migration with culchies bringing their traditions of GAA with them to Dublin surburbs.

Dublin's population INCREASE since 1990 outstrips the TOTAL populations of kildare or Meath in 2020.

Therefore Dublin are now unbeatable and the intercounty competition structure has at most 10 years left but it could be a lot shorter.

Forget the funding. It's the population that is key.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 27, 2020, 10:22:37 AM

Seems strange that it's become an issue, or because Dublin has utilised it's numbers, I'd have thought this was always going to happen once they got their shit together.

The funding should be be fixed better, but due to the size of the playing numbers, Dublin clubs will get more funding.

In respect of sponsorship, the big sponsors will always go winning teams, Arnotts sponsorship was a long one if I remember, was it the best in the country at the time?

So are you happy to drift along with this?

I know when Kilkenny were winning AI's at a canter, I did not care in fact I enjoyed the sense of silent panic. Why would a Mayo man care about the AI Hurling Championship? To tell you the truth, now that Mayo are also rans in the AI Football I'm beginning to enjoy this drama. There is nothing to lose anymore so I feel I'm looking from the outside after a decade of being on the inside. It's quite entertaining watching the media saying very little and feeding away from the trough of their masters in the Capital. Kerry and their status as the 'Kingdom' is eroding rapidly and they are chasing shadows trying to keep up or even pretending to keep up. There is a legitimate state of panic that makes the Tyone era of the noughties look minor now!

Rossfan

39,000 registered GAA players in Dublin last figures I saw (2018?)
About 3% of the population.
Wait till they get to 5%!!

Milltown Row2

Splitting Dublin will only create two dominate Dublin teams. Then the cry will be split it into 4!!

People feel the competition is totally devalued, splitting counties will definitely do that.

What's the solution?

No backdoors, they only give the better teams another chance

Dublin can only play finals in Croke Park

All Dublin league games at Parnell

Fairer Funding drives in all provinces with a target increase in GAA participation

RTE to show all levels and all codes equally, their biased for football is embarrassing

Tiered competition, Dublin playing Louth is pointless, Louth playing in a competition that they'll be competitive in is far more beneficial to their growth.

Croke Park to ensure all counties have the same set up for training, S&C, centre of excellence, physio's, masseuse, stat analysts, and whatever else that provides that edge.

You can't do anything about travel arrangements, it's a stupid argument people use, you can't blame Dubs for living in Dublin ffs.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

From the Bunker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 27, 2020, 12:27:36 PM
Splitting Dublin will only create two dominate Dublin teams. Then the cry will be split it into 4!!

People feel the competition is totally devalued, splitting counties will definitely do that. People said the same about the back door. It was just a mind set. I remember Galway getting beat by Roscommon in Connacht the 1st year of the Back door and Marty Morrisey saying Galway were out of the Championship!

What's the solution?

No backdoors, they only give the better teams another chance True, but the lack of a back door this year, seen Dublin win an easier AI. Mayo are more likely weaker than Kerry, Tyrone and Donegal.

Dublin can only play finals in Croke Park. That will be an easy fix in Leinster., there will be no worries about capacity there. The AI series? Corporate Boxes expect?

All Dublin league games at Parnell. Capacity? Corporate Boxes expect?

Fairer Funding drives in all provinces with a target increase in GAA participation No sh1t Sherlock

RTE to show all levels and all codes equally, their biased for football is embarrassing Are you having a laugh?

Tiered competition, Dublin playing Louth is pointless, Louth playing in a competition that they'll be competitive in is far more beneficial to their growth. The problem is not Louth. The problem is Meath, Kildare, Roscommon, Cork and the likes. Where do they fit?

Croke Park to ensure all counties have the same set up for training, S&C, centre of excellence, physio's, masseuse, stat analysts, and whatever else that provides that edge. Where is the money going to come from?

You can't do anything about travel arrangements, it's a stupid argument people use, you can't blame Dubs for living in Dublin ffs. Nobody blamed Dublin.

Rossfan

Funding for increasing participation !
Cavan, Monaghan, Fermanagh*, Ros Co Board area, Longford, Leitrim....all around 10% of population as registered GAA players.

Soccer has 5 or 6 Dublin Clubs at Senior level. If there was only 1 Club they would be winning n about 95% of everything.
Yet some think this is alright for Gaelic football.

They've given us all the cliches....  everyone loves playing Dublin in Croke Park, try harder, 15 v 15, one special bunch of players,

Now its abolish the "backdoor" , tiered competitions....
If the latter who will Dublin play against as they need a Tier of their own.
Obvious Solution. Dublin become a GAA province with 4 County Boards.

Milltown Row2

Ffs get real.. splitting Dublin into four now? Holy f**k!

It just gets funnier by the day....

If Dublin can get this amazing amount of funding from Croke Park then the other counties should be entitled to it also, with a Dublin president in office I'm sure he'll be keen to not show bias during his tenure

Rossfan

Not half as funny as GAA loyalists trying to ignore 15 Leinsters out of 16 and 8 AIs out of 10.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossfan on December 27, 2020, 02:09:42 PM
Not half as funny as GAA loyalists trying to ignore 15 Leinsters out of 16 and 8 AIs out of 10.

I'd be more worried about winning Connaught titles before worrying about taking on Dublin

From the Bunker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 27, 2020, 02:45:40 PM

I'd be more worried about winning Connaught titles before worrying about taking on Dublin

Winning Connacht titles is not a real problem for Roscommon. They have a decent chance in most decades and if they don't they can throw a spanner in the works of other counties aspirations.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 27, 2020, 02:54:20 PM

Winning Connacht titles is not a real problem for Roscommon. They have a decent chance in most decades and if they don't they can throw a spanner in the works of other counties aspirations.

Well it is, should they start competing for those titles they'll have opportunities to beat Dublin, until then...

caprea

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 27, 2020, 03:14:07 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on December 27, 2020, 02:54:20 PM

Well it is, should they start competing for those titles they'll have opportunities to beat Dublin, until then...

Roscommon played Dublin last year in the super 8s after winning Connacht so god knows what you're on about