Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddyjohn

Quote from: Stillwater2 on September 11, 2017, 10:44:29 PM
Not often i say this, agree with MR2. Who has won the last 3 All County Feile's in Football?

A Belfast select

JimStynes

I think MR2 is taking me up wrong. It doesn't matter if a Belfast club wins a championship next year, that doesn't mean all is great with Belfast GAA. I don't believe one club winning indicates how strong GAA is in that area. And that goes for South West as well. There is serious problems with participation and children wanting to play Gaelic Games. I would rather see a healthy GAA scene in South West and Belfast rather than one club dominating for a number of years and all the other teams struggling. Teams fulfilling fixtures and good competitive league structures is needed to attract children to come to training. I would love to see areas like Antrim Town getting more help. Two catholic primary schools with about 1000 pupils and struggling for numbers at underage level. What is the craic with this money that Antrim is meant to be getting from Croke Park?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on September 11, 2017, 11:10:41 PM
Quote from: Stillwater2 on September 11, 2017, 10:44:29 PM
Not often i say this, agree with MR2. Who has won the last 3 All County Feile's in Football?

A Belfast select

And the SW don't have that ... hmmmm, laughable
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on September 11, 2017, 11:13:45 PM
I think MR2 is taking me up wrong. It doesn't matter if a Belfast club wins a championship next year, that doesn't mean all is great with Belfast GAA. I don't believe one club winning indicates how strong GAA is in that area. And that goes for South West as well. There is serious problems with participation and children wanting to play Gaelic Games. I would rather see a healthy GAA scene in South West and Belfast rather than one club dominating for a number of years and all the other teams struggling. Teams fulfilling fixtures and good competitive league structures is needed to attract children to come to training. I would love to see areas like Antrim Town getting more help. Two catholic primary schools with about 1000 pupils and struggling for numbers at underage level. What is the craic with this money that Antrim is meant to be getting from Croke Park?

I get it I'm just dealing with the WUMs first... so is there a city plan to increase participation of Gaelic games?

I'm not sure of the numbers but looking back during my time we had 20 players who played both codes right through to senior, we played for the school which just about had enough to make a team and most clubs were the same..

we've (most Belfast clubs) got under 8's under 10's tournaments all going on, never had that in my day, we'd  games called off in my day also,  teams didn't field..

My point is this Antrim are producing more players now than 20 years ago just not producing the calibre of players the other counties are or getting them to commit to it, just because Belfast is a big city means nothing..

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hectic

Quote from: City Dweller on September 11, 2017, 08:47:11 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on September 11, 2017, 08:36:37 PM
Quote from: PMG1 on September 11, 2017, 08:27:19 PM
I am involved with running the Paul McGirr Ulster U16 tournament, does anyone know who won the Antrim U16 football championship this year or if it is over yet?

Not over yet as far as I know. South West final this week and not sure if the South Antrim one is played yet.

SA semi final on this Thursday, Final on 1st Oct

http://www.southantrimgaa.com/fixtures/?yr=2017&compid=157

Not sure when All County Final is, was 2nd of Oct last year, could be 8th Oct perhaps?

Aldergrove won SW Antrim as far as I know.

Hectic

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 11, 2017, 11:29:25 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on September 11, 2017, 11:13:45 PM

I get it I'm just dealing with the WUMs first... so is there a city plan to increase participation of Gaelic games?

I'm not sure of the numbers but looking back during my time we had 20 players who played both codes right through to senior, we played for the school which just about had enough to make a team and most clubs were the same..

we've (most Belfast clubs) got under 8's under 10's tournaments all going on, never had that in my day, we'd  games called off in my day also,  teams didn't field..

My point is this Antrim are producing more players now than 20 years ago just not producing the calibre of players the other counties are or getting them to commit to it, just because Belfast is a big city means nothing..

Yeah look above is the point I was making last week.  Forget the SA SW rivalry or what individual clubs are attaining silverware. 

As I said lets try and max out participation and in this regard Belfast could be a gold mine.  That is interesting about Antrim town, I was unaware of numbers, but again another serious source of potential. 

But all potential is only that until it is harnessed.

BrendanAntrim

Quote from: country bumpkin on September 11, 2017, 10:17:21 PM
Think you are in denial MR2....under-age is at an all time low in S Antrim......have a look at the lack of strength at minor level.....teams from top clubs are poor in the extreme with Rossa and Brigids notable exceptions.

I'm involved with under age football across a couple of age groups in SA. The statement above is too sweeping, there are a number of clubs, alongside Rossa and Brigids who are strong at some age groups, but the overall point is correct. There are some 'top clubs' who ftf on a regular basis at U16 and are very weak at lower age groups. Only St Pauls and Brigids field 2 teams (thats 20 players.....) at U12, only St Brigids run two U16 teams.

Between league and championship this year my U16 (B) team will have played 10 or 11 games, thats not enough. Challenge games can bring the number closer to 20 but still...not enough teams, not enough games.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BrendanAntrim on September 12, 2017, 09:33:05 AM
Quote from: country bumpkin on September 11, 2017, 10:17:21 PM
Think you are in denial MR2....under-age is at an all time low in S Antrim......have a look at the lack of strength at minor level.....teams from top clubs are poor in the extreme with Rossa and Brigids notable exceptions.

I'm involved with under age football across a couple of age groups in SA. The statement above is too sweeping, there are a number of clubs, alongside Rossa and Brigids who are strong at some age groups, but the overall point is correct. There are some 'top clubs' who ftf on a regular basis at U16 and are very weak at lower age groups. Only St Pauls and Brigids field 2 teams (thats 20 players.....) at U12, only St Brigids run two U16 teams.

Between league and championship this year my U16 (B) team will have played 10 or 11 games, thats not enough. Challenge games can bring the number closer to 20 but still...not enough teams, not enough games.

I've mentioned it but can we look at the time of year? Would that give us more games??

BrendanAntrim

I think time of year would help, more Spring and Autumn games over summer games during the exam period. But even scheduling won't help with the lack of teams, not in the short term anyway. What about taking U16 All County?

breakingball

u16 hurling leagues are all county, and the divisional boards run their own championships/ cups. its probably the way to go with the football as well

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BrendanAntrim on September 12, 2017, 09:41:30 AM
I think time of year would help, more Spring and Autumn games over summer games during the exam period. But even scheduling won't help with the lack of teams, not in the short term anyway. What about taking U16 All County?

We are not alone on this, other counties have same issues, not that it solves the problem but have they approached it differently?

At Juvenile level, which teams are not fielding? While joining teams for a season isn't best why not have a team (not another club)  that facilitates that solely to ensure a kids are playing, a Belfast select for clubs that can't field 20 players at a age group

I know our minors didn't field at hurling once or twice but I know the reason behind that one... my view on the early spring league is simple, all the city teams play each other and the SW play each other and come the summer brighter days they can play the remaining games

Pjoe

All county for U-14+ is the only option and time to scrap the Divisional Boards - we don't need 4 different organising/scheduling functions within the county. A classic example of this arise last week one divisional board had scheduled a referee for an U-14 championship match, while the county CCC had scheduled the same referee at the same venue to ref a senior match.  Far to much duplication on the administration side and not enough focus on getting more teams and more games.

BrendanAntrim

At Juvenile level, which teams are not fielding?

After one round of games involving all U16 teams, the league was split into two divisions. These are the fixtures / results from Div 2. Two games played in total, involving 3 teams.

Fixtures & Results 2017 - F u16 football 2

F u16 football 2   3 Aug 2017   Rossa   c/g   v   w/o   Gael an tSleibhe Dhuibh         
F u16 football 2   3 Aug 2017   St Johns   c/g   v   w/o   Pearses         
F u16 football 2   10 Aug 2017   St Johns   c/g   v   w/o   St Brigids B         
F u16 football 2   10 Aug 2017   Pearses   ftf   v   w/o   Gael an tSleibhe Dhuibh         
F u16 football 2   17 Aug 2017   St Brigids B   w/o   v   ftf   Pearses         
F u16 football 2   24 Aug 2017   St Brigids B   0-7   v   5-10   Gael an tSleibhe Dhuibh         
F u16 football 2   24 Aug 2017   Rossa   w/o.   v   ftf   Pearses         
F u16 football 2   31 Aug 2017   Gael an tSleibhe Dhuibh   w/o   v   c/g   St Johns         
F u16 football 2   31 Aug 2017   St Brigids B   3-12   v   5-10   Rossa         
F u16 football 2   31 Dec 2017   Rossa      v      St Johns         

Milltown Row2

Not good at all, or good enough, we didn't play all county until they brought it in at minor but i'm sure we played more games than that, and that was in the 80's!! Sarsfields st Johns (and their sister teams  ;) ), Rossa, Davitts, Gorts, st Paul's, ourselves, Lamhs, Ardoyne, and sometimes St Teresa's and  Eire og would have had regular teams right through...

But I must admit the work done by parents, mentors and clubmen was great in those dark days of the troubles, minibus taking us everywhere and good support from all members at games, maybe I'm wearing rose tinted glasses but I really believe there was more games, I wonder is there a record of these games

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 12, 2017, 10:52:53 AM
Not good at all, or good enough, we didn't play all county until they brought it in at minor but i'm sure we played more games than that, and that was in the 80's!! Sarsfields st Johns (and their sister teams  ;) ), Rossa, Davitts, Gorts, st Paul's, ourselves, Lamhs, Ardoyne, and sometimes St Teresa's and  Eire og would have had regular teams right through...

But I must admit the work done by parents, mentors and clubmen was great in those dark days of the troubles, minibus taking us everywhere and good support from all members at games, maybe I'm wearing rose tinted glasses but I really believe there was more games, I wonder is there a record of these games

Do you think that maybe the South Antrim Board have taken their eye off the ball so to speak. During the troubles it was a good way to keep our youth out of trouble and off the streets and that is why the effort went in? I'm to young to remember the troubles  ;) so I could be talking rubbish. Maybe now in a peaceful environment, they think they don't have to and that the players will come.